IGNORED

Looking for couple of rom hacks

grips03

Looking for a couple of rom hacks.

BurgerTime - change the Peppers to be x10, i.e. you pickup Pepper then you get 10 peppers or something like that.

Astrosmash - Change background to be black, does not change color as you change level

That would make Burgertime a piece of cake.

A nice simple project for someone starting out in Intellivision hacking.

Edited by mr_me

That would make Burgertime a piece of cake.

No no no!

You don't attract hackers by telling them how simple a project is! Hackers love a challenge!

You have to use some of that reversible psychology - build the task up and talk about how impossible it is.

Like this:

"We have looked into these hacks and detail, and unfortunately they are absolutely impossible. It would be easier to break into Fort Knox, or print out Trump's Tax returns, than it would be to do these hacks. No one on earth have the brainpower, and craftiness, the sheer skill and guts to pull it off. It can't be done!!!!"

(That'll get 'em. Nothing excites hackers more than telling them something is impossible or unbreakable...)

Catsfolly

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 1/2/2017 at 10:48 AM, grips03 said:

BurgerTime - change the Peppers to be x10, i.e. you pickup Pepper then you get 10 peppers or something like that.

Ask and ye shall receive.

The bad news is, I can't change the number of peppers you earn when you pick up a Pepper Prize.  The instruction to increment a value is only one word in size within the ROM, and the instruction to add a value by a different amount requires two words.

The good news is, I did the next best thing which I think you'll like better.  I give you infinite peppers!  This works for both players in 2-player mode, and I tested it to make sure.

I suggest you make a copy of your ROM image first.

If your ROM is in .bin+.cfg format, open up the .cfg file with any text editor you choose and add these two lines at the end, and you'll be all set:

[macro]
p 633a 34 ; Infinite peppers

However, if your ROM is in .rom format, first you'll need to create a .txt file (I'll call it bthack.txt) with these lines in it:

p 633a 34
r

Then you'll have to launch jzintv with these additional parameters:

--debugger --script=bthack.txt

If you're using another emulator, then I suggest you run rom2bin (bundled with jzintv) to create a copy of your original ROM in .bin+.cfg format, then follow the first step above.

I hope that helps.  Let me know if you have any trouble.  I'll see what I can do about Astrosmash.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2017 at 10:48 AM, grips03 said:

Looking for a couple of rom hacks.

Astrosmash - Change background to be black, does not change color as you change level

I'll see your "Background does not change color" ...

[macro]
p 5a9f 34 ; Sky is always black
p 5aa0 1c0 ; |

... and I'll raise you an "Enable choice to play Meteor"!

p 5069 34 ; Enable Game Selection menu
p 506a 34 ; |
p 50aa 6 ; Echo "Game " in yellow

Press 1 for Astrosmash, or 2 for Meteor, and then press Enter to begin.  Note the code to display the number of your selection draws it in black on black.  The best I could do was to draw a box in one of two different colors.  I went with blue for Astrosmash and green for Meteor.

p 50b6 280 ; Echo a blue block for Astrosmash, or green block for Meteor
p 50b7 15d ; |
p 50b8 4c ; |
p 50b9 2f8 ; |
p 50ba 2f8 ; |
p 50bb 8 ; |

Finally, how about expanding the "ASTROSMASH!" title to include the developer's name:

p 5028 20 ; Expanded title screen text
p 503c 0 ; |

Enjoy.

Edited by Zendocon
Slight correction to code
  • Like 4