IGNORED

Tecmo 2600 Idea / Mockup

MayDay

Just curious what people would make of this- 5 on 5 football, Tecmo Bowl style. If anyone has ran 5 on 5 drills, we always used tackling dummies to create the running lanes. The passing controls would need to be similar to how NFL Blitz worked. Each team would have two running plays, a short pass play, and a long pass play. Players in the mockup are 8x11. The football is 3, 7, and 3 pixels wide. Ten sprites total, mostly at different levels in the field to minimize flicker. The bottom sideline could use collision detection with the sprite, the top with the football (allows some overlay with the sprite itself). Other notes- The sprite controlled by the player would flash so that you understand who is controlling what. The end zones and blocking dummies would be slight off-colors of the players so you can still see them.

post-6479-0-49633900-1483668054_thumb.gif

Edited by MayDay

I can't see the the picture. Anyone else having the same problem?

Yes, I've had some problems too. @MayDay, you should try to attach/embed images directly to your post instead of linking to a 3rd party image hosting site. Once you upload the picture there's a link to add it to the post.

Btw, what are those 3 yellow bars supposed to be?

@MayDay, you should try to attach/embed images directly to your post instead of linking to a 3rd party image hosting site. Once you upload the picture there's a link to add it to the post.

That's generally a good idea. If you look at older threads, the externally linked pictures are all gone.

You can simply attach pictures to your post, like you attach files. And unlike other files, the attached pictures will show directly.

Some quick responses-

Looks nice, although I wouldn't want to be the sucker to try to program that kernel. 2 multicolor sprites, a ball, an asymmetric playfield, and a playfield color change in the same scanline?

Actually 3 PF color changes on some lines- white/grey to yellow to white/grey to end zone color. When the play starts, you'd probably also end up with multiple sprites on the same lines. The red end zone could easily be lost, but it certainly looks better with it. I tried to show the very worst place possible in the mockup.

no shit. somebody needs to read the programmer's guide. :)

-Thom

Eh, if I could program better I'd be doing that, and not just mocking them up. I have been through Andrew Davie's tutorials and generally don't break "rules" without reason. While complicated, outside of the blocking dummies, I still feel this is far less complicated (and would look better) than Tod Frye's Red vs. Blue demo.

That's generally a good idea. If you look at older threads, the externally linked pictures are all gone.

You can simply attach pictures to your post, like you attach files. And unlike other files, the attached pictures will show directly.

Sorry about the images in this and the MK thread. Not sure why some can see and some can't. When I click the image button here, it asks me for a URL. I don't see a way to upload other file types at all. Also, as Zack notes in the MK thread I'm using square pixels, so while the images are pixel perfect, they are not at the correct aspect ratio. In looking back at my own content, I see a lot of the images are missing now as you say.

Btw, what are those 3 yellow bars supposed to be?

Blocking dummies that would be used (instead of linemen) in a 5 on 5 drill. You also can not run through the dummies. It was really a just tradeoff for not using more sprites on the field, though not one that I'm that happy with.

Edited by MayDay

Sorry about the images in this and the MK thread. Not sure why some can see and some can't. When I click the image button here, it asks me for a URL. I don't see a way to upload other file types at all. Also, as Zack notes in the MK thread I'm using square pixels, so while the images are pixel perfect, they are not at the correct aspect ratio. In looking back at my own content, I see a lot of the images are missing now as you say.

Are you clicking the "More Reply Options" button? You have to go there first and then there will be an additional section below the text editor to Attach Files. There you can browse to your png file and attach it. It's one of those things that's only obvious once you know it's there.

• 3 weeks later...

If you really want to play Tecmo, just play it on the NES. It's already 1,000 times better than any port, tribute, or demake that could be conjured up for the 2600.

The best you could hope to achieve is a decent-playing football game that bears only the slightest and most superficial resemblance to Tecmo, with few (if any) of the things that really made Tecmo great.

If you really want to play Tecmo, just play it on the NES. It's already 1,000 times better than any port, tribute, or demake that could be conjured up for the 2600.

The best you could hope to achieve is a decent-playing football game that bears only the slightest and most superficial resemblance to Tecmo, with few (if any) of the things that really made Tecmo great.

Meh... by that logic, no one should program for the 2600, right? Your games could be so much better on superior hardware... ;)

Edited by haroldoop

I think that the point was when the tradeoffs/compromises become so demanding that they steal away aspects that defined the original, there's not much point to attempting a version that is inferior. It would a "port" in name only. If it's a crap attempt, nobody wants it. But if it is a good game in its own right, why bother using the name at all?

• Like 2

Since it's became a point of debate, I feel like I should clarify that I'm not suggesting Tecmo Bowl be ported/demade and the name kept. Rather, I thought that the Tecmo style of play was the one probably best suited to have a (good playable) football game for VCS. While it could look very similar to Super Challenge Football, the controls for that game are not any good (in my opinion). I kind of like the idea of telling each player what to do in theory, but it's near impossible for me to complete a pass and you can't throw over other players. Tecmo got the gameplay right (as did NFL Blitz) which is why everyone still plays those games today even though they are long out of date. In short, I don't disagree with you guys and should have probably given the topic a different title.

I like the SNES version as well, but NES STB will always be the best.

Edited by MayDay
  • Like 1