IGNORED

Collecting Goals for 2017

Well what are yours?

I think I will selectively add to my collection this year but overall it will be a slimming down year for me. Now that I have a lot of SD carts I realize I don't "need" to own a lot of games that are okay but not necessarily worthy of taking up physical space in my home when they could just as easily be a ROM on my cart. Also, having a game room now and fully unpacking my collection has made it apparent to me how much stuff I have and what I can afford to let go and what should probably stay. By the end of the year I plan to have a much leaner, but higher quality collection. Equal fun, less stuff. So in a nutshell:

-Sell superfluous consoles/games/accessories/computers that I am just not using not intending to anytime ever (i.e do I really need 4 of every console? SELL!)

-More high end SNES/Genesis carts, complete. (i.e. Track down a complete Streets of Rage III finally)

-Get my NES collection in game cases with art

-Finish souping up my vintage computer(s)

-PLAY more this year, buy less

-Track down Star Control for 3DO

-Acquire a minty 2600 system changer for Intellivision

-Figure out what to do with broken stuff

• Like 4

I'm still evaluating, but I believe I'll end up getting rid of the Vectrex, the 7800, and possibly one other system this year.

I would also like to continue getting rid of duplicates, spare parts, etc., but I probably won't get to that. Maybe I'll get rid of either the //c or platinum //e, though.

As far a acquisitions, I expect I'll buy a few CIB homebrews that Atari Age will be selling for my remaining systems. Otherwise, I don't expect to buy anything.

• Like 1

Gaming-wise, I plan to buy VC version of all the TG-16 games I've wanted to try out, and any remaining Wii/WiiU games I've had my eye on. Just get them while it's fairly easy to do so.

Also, I want to get my Virtual Boy and N64 fixed.

I want Bitboxes for my N64 collection.

The theme for this year is going to be to fill in holes in my collection, and take better care of what I already have.

• Like 2

My goals:

-Organize & display my games and consoles better

-Take an inventory of everything I have

-Try and sell off/trade some of the multiples I have

-Get my HTPC/MAME setup working 100%

-Try and find time to sit down and enjoy my collection

-Slow down on buying more games and play what I already have!

• Like 4

I don't have a whole lot on this year's list. I did pretty well on last year's, but some of them may be on this year's, too.

• Build a shelf for the "display" part of my gaming collection. (Pac man glass, Pac man coffee mug, some cool looking plug-n-plays, boxes, Nuka Cola Quantum bottle...)
  • Get 2600 working and work on building game collection for it as well as get some working joysticks so I'm not stuck with using Genesis controllers (not that they are bad, but it'd be nice to have the option...)
  • Build N64 game collection a little (if I could find anything other than sports games in local stores) and either get a new controller or replace the joystick in mine (it's not bad, but it's a little loose).
  • Get some of the gaming books I've seen lately (Art of Atari, Pat Contri's NES Guidebook) and get them on the shelf from the first bullet point.
  • Either buy loose PS games and manuals to put in the empty cases I have, or sell the cases.
  • Maybe get into some MAME type emulation... Metal Jesus' video has got me looking into it again...
  • Get a little more serious about playing some of my games. Usually I'll just put one in and mess around with it to have some fun for a bit, but never really seem to try to complete them or practice to work on high score or anything. I want to finish some more Zelda games (I've only ever beaten one: Twilight Princess), get further in some of the shooters I have (R-Type, Raiden, Gates of Thunder, Fantasy Zone...), go back and beat some of the NES games that I beat back when I was in middle school (Castlevania, Metal Gear, 1943...)
  • Like 1

Ah annual collecting goals. I used to do these every year. Problem is, the last couple of years I've had no real goals. I don't really have any big "wants" and I don't really hunt anymore so my collection is virtually complete. Having said that, I'll continue to check ebay now and then and see what may pique my interest or see what the local game store gets in every once in a while.

The one thing I will definitely continue to add in the foreseeable future are homebrews. Other than that, it's simply a matter of what my cross my path.

• Like 1

Eh, I've got a bit of a list (I do every year...) and I doubt I'll do half of it but I wrote it down anyways.

• Sort and catalog the collection - it's a mess. Right now my big issue is with PC software, I have bins of import stuff that I've been running through with no good way to hold it and it's a mess beyond what I like and probably unhealthy for the disks, but generally everything needs work. The cataloging bit, well, I say I'll do it every two months and it doesn't happen but I seriously need to sometime here.
  • Archive disks. I bought a really nice dual CF drive for SCSI/SASI that's supposed to just hook up and act as a floppy drive to do exactly this with a good few of my things, but I need to take the time and buy some fresh CF cards to do this with and I need to motivate my lazy self to start popping in disks, copying them, popping them out, etc.
  • Clean my main game room. My game room is my bedroom, it holds all the stuff I grew up on or from when I first got into collecting, it's where I hang out with friends when I have them over, and it's my favorite area but I can never keep it clean for more than a week - I need to get serious about keeping it clean. The other spaces where my stuff are at are perfectly clean and neat but this one room kills me.
  • Sell off doubles, extra consoles, etc. - I need to make more room anyways
  • Work on the MAMEcade - my dad and I put together a real nice one late last year based off of plans from a guy, Jorge Yanez, and we love the thing but man it needs work. Cables are everywhere, the paint is a bit "eh", the control layout is off-center, the area is a complete mess to work on the inside, and somehow we're going to stick a real nice mini ITX PC in there loaded with Hyperspin which is a bit impossible right now.
  • Just play more of my collection. I started to do pretty good last year when I said "I'll catalog my stuff" and made it through half my PC-9801 software but then I kinda quit. I've got a massive backlog at this point and I really need to do something about it.
  • Buy a homebrew - seriously I love a lot of the stuff that's sold in the AA Store and it wouldn't cost a ton but I never do.

So yeah, those are my goals. I'd love to get all of them done, but I don't know if I'll be able to stay dedicated to doing that stuff.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 1

I finally built my gameroom this year and basically have all I really want so just playing it and try to spend more time enjoying it. I'll pick up a few things as they cross my path but I never desired a huge collection.

We spent buckets of money getting setup at our new house and getting my wife's business going this past year so maybe save a bit more and buy less should be the theme.

• Like 3

Ah annual collecting goals. I used to do these every year. Problem is, the last couple of years I've had no real goals. I don't really have any big "wants" and I don't really hunt anymore so my collection is virtually complete. Having said that, I'll continue to check ebay now and then and see what may pique my interest or see what the local game store gets in every once in a while.

Agreed. I'll still make a list of goals for the year though...

- Spend more time playing games this year and regularly contribute to the "What have you played recently" thread

- Finish cataloging my games

- Fund my purchase of new items by selling some of my current games

- Dig up the code I wrote about 10 years ago and finish my game for the 2600

- Continued improvement to my game room

- Place more emphasis on my Commodore 64

• Like 1

1) Downsize
2) Finish--or come closer to finishing--Atari silver label NTSC collection (loose): Quadrun, Gremlins, Crazy Climber, Gravitar, Obelix, Asterix(?...), Rubik's Cube
3) Finally get around to finishing off Atari text and picture label sets: Championship Soccer (text), Brain Games (pic)
4) Gunslinger picture label
5) Finally get one of the adult carts for the 2600
6) Atari Corp. alternate/error/unique carts: BASIC Programming, Black Jack, Concentration, Demons To Diamonds, Hangman, Missile Command ('85-'86 version), Othello, Space Invaders (gray w/ blue text end label)
7) XEGS gray carts
8 ) Atari 5200: HERO and Rescue on Fractalus
9) Atari 7800: Ace of Aces, Basketbrawl, Crack'ed, Double Dragon, F-18 Hornet, Fatal Run, Kung-Fu Master, Mat Mania, Mean 18, Motorpsycho, Ninja Golf, Pete Rose Baseball, Summer Games, Super Huey, Tank Command, Water Ski
10) VIC-20 carts (especially Miner 2049er)
11) NES: Balloon Fight, Donkey Kong, Wild Gunman, Chiller
12) Flex--TBD as situations or inclinations arise. :-D

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 2

1. Find and purchase a like-new condition black GameCube (I already have a Game Boy Player and start up disc for it).

2. Get EverDrives for my NES and Genesis.

3. Buy a beat up AGS-001 model GBA SP and install the front light from it in my Game Boy Color.

4. Only purchase games for the GameCube and Game Boy / Color / Advance in 2017.

My collecting goals this year are pretty simple and straightforward. Just finish up getting flash carts for the systems I like playing but don't want to collect for, score myself a GameCube in really good shape, spruce up my old Game Boy Color, then focus all my game collecting efforts for the year on the Cube and Game Boy systems. :)

• Like 3

I'm getting there with my collection. I'd like to add a NeoGeo CDZ (most cost-effective way into it and the drive is double the speed of the super slow standard one). Also a 7800, mainly to play 2600 software to be honest. Got some mods to do to the Jaguar, gonna pull the resistor to run it at 60hz and add spinners to two of the controllers. Then that's done. Most of the other things are sorted at the moment. I keep pricing up a real Amiga to replace the emulator, but still can't justify the cost.

• Like 1

I think it's interesting how many people are putting "focus on playing the games I have more" or something along those lines. I'd like to see the HSCs and High Score Today and Games Completed in 2017 and Last 3 Games You Played and Game Tracker threads really blow up.

FIRE UP THOSE CONSOLES!!!!

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 6

At the moment, my collecting goals in 2017 are to acquire a new media shelf to place my Neo AES carts, to try and lock down copies of Kraut Buster and Gunlord when they surface for order through NG:DEV again and to continue to snag CIB Atari Jaguar games I dont have. Otherwise, I'll probably continue to balance and trim my collection.

I don't currently see myself adding a new console to collect for, but who knows.. just about every game system has something interesting to play on it. = )

• Like 1

2017... Hmmm.. I plan to downsize and streamline a little bit this year, but also add to other parts.. mainly Vectrex, ColecoVision, Intellivision and VCS homebrews, but only the cream of the crop. I like collecting oem Inty games since they're cheap but the stuff I really want for ColecoVision and NES is crazy expensive. I refuse to give in when I can just play it via a Pi. I have too many other hobbies I'd rather spend money on so I think I'll be getting more into emulation/ROMs via an Ultimate Flashback/HDMI setup. Real hardware is pretty flakey anymore in my experience and I want better a/v and reliability, plus convenience. I do prefer real hardware though, so, I plan on future proofing and upgrading my consoles little by little. There's lots of mods I want to try. ;)

I definitely plan to tackle more hardware this year.. Fixing/restoring and selling a pile of controllers, systems and projects that I've been backlogged on for some time now. Lastly, I plan on just Playing more games this year that I already have! Lol. I think that's 'bout it for me. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1- Downsize

2- Perhaps finally get around to eliminating all Apple /// material

3- Eliminate anything triplicate, except odd'n'ends spare parts and fittings

4- Continue polishing and buffing my emulation stuff

5- Standardize all household PC's to Shuttle XPC SkyLake cubes

6- Add 2 PCs for the guest rooms

7- Scan more Apple II documentation, books, manuals

8- Organize all the freshly dumped Apple II disks

9- Continue collecting at low-priority rate, a book here, an expansion card there

10- Document and photograph everything Apple II, Pocket PC, TI-59, 486 DX2/50

11- Add internal chrome, lights, and bling to my main emulation computer

12- Update my electronics shop

Last year's goals got wrapped up pretty thoroughly, so this year's a bit slimmer.

1-Get the Intellivision fixed or replaced. I think it's less broken and more 'doesn't like the HDTV', but considering it spent a good 20ish years in a garage crawlspace, I think it needs a tuneup. I'd prefer the repair since the unit's got family history, but I only have so much money, so if a replacement is notably cheaper, well...

2- Find a good, big-ass surge protector. I'm talking 16-20 outlets with room for those big plugs like on the NES & such. My 2 12-outlet ones are nice, but they're full. I'll need some room for the Xbox One/Switch later on. (If anyone has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it!)

3- Start saving to buy an Xbox One/Switch. Not necessarily buy them, mind you- just get the money together. That way, I can be prepared if a must-have game/deal comes along.

4- Play Some Damn Games! Last year was massive for acquisitions- 5 consoles & don't know how many games- but I only sat down & played a handful of them. Now's a good time to fix that, especially with my work hours getting a cut & my 'consoles I want' list having been massively cut down. Currently making my way through the last Guardian- intend to hit Magic Knight Rayearth on Saturn next.

Goals of Opportunity: these aren't high on the priority list, but if the chance lines up I'll take it:

- Get an original Game Boy (cheap- this is less for use & more for nostalgia)

- Get a Yurkievision (I can't really plan for this one because I don't own any Colecovision, so I don't know how much I'll need for the system and the mods.)

- Get Wii U games (I've got my must-haves already, but there's some good titles left to grab cheap if/when the prices bottom out.)

Pipe Dreams: Unless I win the lottery these aren't likely to happen:

- Get a Vectrex

- Get a TurboDuo

- Get some Holy Grail games for my collection (looking at you, Keio Flying Squadron!)

• Like 2

I recently was able to purchase some "one owner" Intellivisions. A friend of mine found his from his childhood at his mom's house. A model 1 and a model 3 Super Pro System or whatever and about 17 games or so. He gave me a good deal on them because he knew they were going to a good home. :) Hope you get yours up and running.

And if you do win the lottery, remember us little people.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Find and purchase a like-new condition black GameCube (I already have a Game Boy Player and start up disc for it).

2. Get EverDrives for my NES and Genesis.

3. Buy a beat up AGS-001 model GBA SP and install the front light from it in my Game Boy Color.

4. Only purchase games for the GameCube and Game Boy / Color / Advance in 2017.

My collecting goals this year are pretty simple and straightforward. Just finish up getting flash carts for the systems I like playing but don't want to collect for, score myself a GameCube in really good shape, spruce up my old Game Boy Color, then focus all my game collecting efforts for the year on the Cube and Game Boy systems. :)

Alright! As of tonight I have accomplished goals 1 & 2 from my list for this year! :D All that's left is to get my Game Boy Color front lit then stick to only buying games for the GameCube and Game Boy / Color / Advance for the next 12 months. It probably won't be easy resisting the occasional impulse to buy new hardware or games for other systems, but I'm committed to sticking to my plan this year. :)

1) Downsize

5) Finally get one of the adult carts for the 2600

10) VIC-20 carts (especially Miner 2049er)

1) Well, I've at least started down this road. Just unloaded a spare 2600 and some extra CoCo stuff to a buddy. Only a drop in the bucket, but it's something.

5) Just received copies of Bachelor Party and Beat 'Em & Eat 'Em yesterday; the accompanying sense of pride is concerning. :-D :P

10) Didn't get Miner 2049er, but I did just buy 10 new VIC-20 carts for my collection. I'm relatively new to the VIC-20 but as I hit collecting walls with my other favorite systems, this has become a favorite to collect for. Love those huge carts, in all those shapes and colors! :-D