IGNORED

Giana Sisters

CyranoJ

I found this at my parent's house when I visited before Christmas so picked it up and brought it home. I remember buying it on the morning of its release, which turns out to have been lucky as I believe it was withdrawn after only a few hours on sale?

I know it is quite rare, are scans or anything needed of the covers or the manuals?

post-11520-0-89146000-1483857742_thumb.png

• Like 4

Think copies must have been on sale (even if it was withdrawn) for a few weeks at least, remembering the furore in ST Action at the time. Particular remember one gutted reader writing in to complain he had spilt cherry cola all over his copy :). That's a good find though, probably one of the highest priced collector games on the ST (c. £100+ on evilbuy although some idiots are trying to flog copies for £500+). Looks like Atarimania has the manual and bits scanned for your copy, just not the big box version.

Edited by Zogging Hell

Hi CJ,

Do you happen to have low level imaging stuff to make a raw image (Kryoflux or SCP)? If so, it would be interesting if you could dump the disks.

Yes, you can probably sell it for good money. Not sure, but I believe this version is even rarer.

I don't sorry. I'm kind of reluctant to mail this anywhere. I will see if anyone at the local retro meeting has the kit to do it.

I don't sorry. I'm kind of reluctant to mail this anywhere. I will see if anyone at the local retro meeting has the kit to do it.

Not big deal, at least not unless the disks are unmodified. There are some raw dumps already IIRC. But the game writes the high score to the original disk, don't remember to which one.

If the disks are write protected and you think you kept them like this always, then if you can, try to make a Pasti image at least.

Brume posted diverse images of it some 20 months ago: http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=28003&p=273412&hilit=giana#p273412

(Screenshot is swapped with other game, images are OK, I tested).

Scans are available here: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st-great-giana-sisters-_24228.html

Of course, it is not bad to make dump of it, especially if not modified - with org hiscore intact.

What is interesting is that according to Atarimania there were 2 releases of it - in 1987 and 1988. Pictures on cover are different. That contradicts with claims that it was immediately pulled out of sale.

What is interesting is that according to Atarimania there were 2 releases of it - in 1987 and 1988. Pictures on cover are different. That contradicts with claims that it was immediately pulled out of sale.

Looking at the packaging and the comment at the end of the ST Action review suggests the initial big box release may have been German, with possible imports to UK (based on the two languages on the back). The plastic box version looks like a English/ French release with US Gold's/ GOs backing/ distribution. I suspect it may have been out in Germany slightly longer, and the crap hit the fan with the English release.

Yes, it did. If you go to Atari Forum, you will find the STe hardware scrolling updated version.

Bob C

It was a great game, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is insanely fun, if you get a chance to pick that up.

Didn't Giana sisters get an STe update, so it has smiother scrolling? I need to check that one out when I have some time.

Edited by darwinmac

Not an ST game, but the Giana sisters are still around. Kindda like Super Mario meets Ikaruga. They have a 4 player competitive version as well. Pretty fun.

Yeah, that's the game I mentioned. Really fun. Extremely hard. I need to complete it one of these days.

Yes, it did. If you go to Atari Forum, you will find the STe hardware scrolling updated version.

Bob C

Thanks, was pretty sure it was on my list of "Need to play that when I have a chance!"

There are actually 2 enhanced versions with fine scroll, + some soundtrack playback support: http://atari.8bitchip.info/ASTGA/G/ggs.php

Excellent! I wasn't aware of the soundtrack support one. I know I downloaded one where they redid the music for Cannon Fodder and it sounds most excellent on the Falcon.

Not big deal, at least not unless the disks are unmodified. There are some raw dumps already IIRC. But the game writes the high score to the original disk, don't remember to which one.

If the disks are write protected and you think you kept them like this always, then if you can, try to make a Pasti image at least.

I will be able to get them imaged next month - I'll mail you the files once I have them :D

I don't even have an ST set up, haven't for years.