IGNORED

New Project for my 4A and PEB

Shift838

So,

I have been mulling over a new project that I want to do for my 4A and PEB and would like some advice from anyone who may have done this in the past.

I want to move all my PEB components along with my TI-99/4A mainboard, F18A and USB keyboard to a newer style PC case with PC Power supply. This way it's easy to move and everything is in one unit and all I need to do is hook up the monitor, keyboard, sound and power cables. It would also clear off some of my desk space by moving the 99/4A inside the unit.

It will power on both the PEB and TI-99/4A and have everything in this new case.

It will house:

• 99/4A mainboard with F18 and USB keyboard interface
  • PEB cards
  • Cartridge Port will be mounted for easy access
  • Connectors on back for:
    • Video
    • Sound
    • Power
    • Serial
    • Parallel
    • Keyboard USB

I want to verify that the 4A will be able to use a standard PC ATX Power supply with the right lines connected of course. I believe it will but would like some clarification.

I also would like to know if anyone knows the wattage of power supply I would need to make sure I can run a fully populated PEB, 99/4A, 4 Floppy Drives and up to 5 SCSI drives with a little extra left over for future use if needed.

Also, I want to be able to press one power switch and turn it all on, of course I know there is going to have to be a couple of seconds delay before powering up the 99/4A main board. I think that can be achieved by a relay of some sort, but I need direction on this one as I am sure I will need to build a circuit for it.

Thoughts or Advice from anyone ?

• Like 2

I remember some one like this on the web site of Fabrice Montupet but the link i had saved is not working anymore :( http://www.ti99.com/ti994f.htm

it was a nice project all described. Fabrice !!! i want the old website !!! :D

Good call.

I can access it via the web.archive.org site by:

HERE

I will peruse through it. I'll need to translate it of course..

• Like 1

I have taken a picoPSU and replace the powersupply in my TomyTutor ( TMS9995 ) just fine. But -5V is not available on modern PC PSU's. The 4A will need -5v... I got away with it on the Tomy because the F18A card removed the only thing using the -5v. TI Grom chips were never applied. The 4A won't let you get away with that.

Older PC PSUs did have -5V.

That'll be an issue.

-M@

I have taken a picoPSU and replace the powersupply in my TomyTutor ( TMS9995 ) just fine. But -5V is not available on modern PC PSU's. The 4A will need -5v... I got away with it on the Tomy because the F18A card removed the only thing using the -5v. TI Grom chips were never applied. The 4A won't let you get away with that.

Older PC PSUs did have -5V.

That'll be an issue.

-M@

I knew there was something I was overlooking! Thanks Matt. I wonder if I can find a new old stock older PC power supply with the -5v.

I have found various suppliers that supply older MicroATX power supplies that are New in box and have the -5v line. Anyone have any clue on how much wattage I would need for the PS to support what I am proposing in the first message?

If it's too much I could always have two power supplies, one to supply the needed PEB and drive power and one separate for the 4A.

I remember some one like this on the web site of Fabrice Montupet but the link i had saved is not working anymore :(http://www.ti99.com/ti994f.htm

it was a nice project all described. Fabrice !!! i want the old website !!! :D

Yes, some web pages are down. At the end of the year, I decided to refresh all my TI-99 dedicated website (some pages were very old, so it was time to make something) And during the operation I decided to trash some pages. The project you talk is a very old project that I consider not interesting anymore today. I made an other very quick little project (just for fun) some years ago: a sort of All-in One 99/4A (with 32Kb Expansion RAM, Increased CPU speed, SpeechSynth, Audio amp., extended Keyboard, Extented Basic, E/A, Disk Manager and some other upgrades inside the case). Oh course a new power supply has been installed to feed all this stuff. The computer works well but it not satisfy me, I want more. It's the reason why I am working on a new project: a new 99/4A enhanced motherboard. The PCB is in progress. I will talk about it later :-)

I found a picture of the upgraded 99/4A:

tixx.jpg

tixx2.jpg

• Like 16

Fabrice, that is the most beautiful mod I have ever seen! An elegant use of existing space to create a truly full-featured console within the confines of the original design.

Since you say that it does not satisfy you, please send it to me immediately so I might offer it a loving home and reward it my total satisfaction. (hé hé)
(sans blague ou niaiseries, j’ai jamais aimé les consoles beiges, mais là là, c'est vraiment une chose de beauté que vous avez créé)
Edited by PeBo
  • Like 5

so I started on my project today. I was able to score a nice full tower case locally with a couple of power supplies for pretty cheap. Solid Aluminum.

I got the PEB cage mounted in the new Case and i have decided where to put the 99/4A mainboard. I have a new 3 rail power supply for the 4A arriving tomorrow that will deliver the necessary voltages for the 4A and get rid of the Coffee Mug warmer. I beleive but will not know for sure until tomorrow that it will be able to be mounted at teh very bottom of the case.

I will post pictures as i make progress.

Here is one of the Cage mounted and where the 4A will go. The cage is actually sitting on 8 x 1.5 inch standoffs, so the cage actually overlaps the 4A mainboard by about an inch.

post-35187-0-82697800-1485148337_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 4

That's looking great Chris! I love fabrication. It's too bad someone doesn't have a line on the boards that were made by Rave. I remember one of the members of my group having a Rave system. I also remember having to go his home pretty often because the system was finicky as hell.

I would like to have a new smaller footprint flex cable interface. I'm sure we could use the same flex cable card, but maybe get a smaller cable with a newer smaller PCB for the firehose connection.

I would like to see someone get one designed.

Now an update on my progress.. (no picture update yet - I'll wait to get it all in). I got quite a bit done over the last couple of days as far as measuring and test fitting to determine exactly what is going where.

So I have the following test fitted and all standoffs mounted:

• PEB Backplane board
  • PEB Cage
  • 99/4A motherboard
    • PC Reset Switch functioning as reset on the 4A
  • Mean Well PT-45A power supply to replace 4A Coffee Warmer power supply. Installing an IEC male power connector in order to use a standard power cable. Will install a rocker toggle switch to control power on/off
    • Supplies all 3 voltages ( +5v, -5v & +12v DC - Triple output) --- A great unit for a cheap price.
      • These can be picked up from Mouser or Jameco (Jameco is cheaper by a few dollars). I bought mine at Mouser as I did not want to wait.
    • already tested functionality and power up the 99/4A with the IEC and Toggle.
  • ATX Powersupply hooked up for PEB backplane board
    • Ordered new DPDT Latching Mini PC push button to replace momentary power switch
      • In order for the ATX power supply to power up pins 14 & 15 must be grounded out, however i am seeing that if the power button is not pressed all the time and held down then the ATX Power supply will not power up. I have tested it with a latching toggle switch and it will stay on with that method.

Still needed to do: (still quite a bit)

• Create cartridge port extension cable. I will need 14 to 16 inches so instead of ordering one I will make one and see if it works at that length.
  • Install F18A in this unit
  • Install JediMatts USBKeys (still need to build it).
  • install Atari Joystick adapter i purchased from ArcadeShopper (still need to put it together)
  • Figure a 5.25 bay conversion for use as a cartridge port
  • Wire up a USB power tap-in on 99/4A 5vdc Power so to be able to power a VGA to HDMI converter.
  • Install 1 or 2 extra PC Case Fans if possible
  • Create cables to connect from
    • 99/4A mother board to:
      • Atari Joystick Adapter and to front panel
      • CS1 (probably will never use it - so it may not get done; if so it will be on back panel)
      • Audio cable for a stereo phono output on back panel for PC speakers
    • PEB Cards on back panel:
      • RS232/1 (DB25)
      • RS232/2 (DB9 for HDX!)
      • Centronics SCSI 50 pin (maybe - may just go with my SCSI2SD)

If decided, later I will put in a few case light mods to make it all pretty and glowing. The ATX power supply I have is adequate to handle a fully loaded PEB with 4 floppy drives and at least 5 SCSI drives.

I should say, I believe it is. Testing when it's all together will definitely tell. Luckily if not, I have a power supply that is a couple of hundred watts higher to use too. i may just go that route with it to be sure.

• Like 2

Little work tonight.

• I have successfully made a 16" cartridge extension cable.
  • Successfully built and installed JediMatt42's USB Keyboard upgrade
  • Wired up and Installed Neon Toggle with new 3 rail output power supply for the 99/4A.
  • Created TI-99/4A cartridge bay for use in a 5.25 drive bay

The Neon Toggle switch (thanks to helocast for pointing me to this one!) is great. This rocker was perfect size for my case and since it's Neon lighted it works with the straight 110v power line. I already had a rectangle hole for it in my case and only had to file it out about 1/32 of an inch to make it a perfect fit.

The cartridge bay i made (still need to put a door on it) turned out pretty good. Took some ingenuity to get it all to line up as you can see in the pictures, but it's dead on. I took a 3.5 drive to 5.25 drive bay and modded it. I still need to smooth a little on the bottom corners but that is about it.

You will notice the cartridge port is upside down. This was done on purpose as I did find out that since it's straight through as long as you have the wires right it will all work. It fits better for where I decided to put the cartridge port and for my particular case.

The CDROM in the picture was just there for gauging height. It will not be used in my TI-99/4A All In One System.

post-35187-0-66095900-1485926702_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-40973300-1485926718_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-96223500-1485926728_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-58210000-1485926736_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-49357600-1485926748_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 6

I think my nedt piece of this will be to build the new Atari Joystick converter moduel for use with my system. I plan on mounting to the top of my casee hopefully. It looks like I=t has a doore for extra USB and firewire ports that I will not usre so I am sure I can repurpbose them for Joystick 1 and Joystick 21.

I combing craignst list for a decent vga monitor with speakers for use with this F18A I will be putting in this system.

If any Ti'ers have a decent VGA LCD with built it speakers and want to get them to me at a good price let me know.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1