IGNORED

HSC14 Welcome & Games List

Highscore.com was a lot of fun, but with Serious gone and the trolls and like McKong said (taking it too seriously), it's all fallen apart over there. Shame...

Is he really gone? Do we know why or is he just tired of it? A real shame. The site had really potential, but someone would have to invest a lot of time and energy in order to get it on the right track.

Some from me for the list

Super Pac-Man

Donkey Kong

Trolls 'n Tribulations

Gumball

Whistler's Brother

Ramp Rage (v1.2) would like to see my game given a serious work out!

Beach Landing

Drol

Warlock

Millipede

Shamus: Case II

Nibbler (now we have a fixed version that needs testing!)

Trailblazer

Topper

Researching for my new game (SFO) there are a ton of scrolling games, mainly space shooters that I'd like to play too (probably all of them!!)

Maintain the holding pattern guys the first poll will start in a day or two :)

Edited by therealbountybob

I think we might get more players if we play 1 game for 2 weeks

too many multi games rounds is probably too much for the casual high score club gamer

To be honest we've been through this many times, we start the season with a lot of players and people drop out during the season, that's just how it is, nothing to do with more games if you take a look at what happens round by round. Out of the 22 rounds last season only 2 were multi game rounds "Mixed Bag" which was great fun trying out lots of unknown games and "Ports and New Games" where we gave some of the new games that would never win the polls a chance - several people want to try some new ones. One of these was a month long so there was plenty of time to enjoy the games.

I know you and others play in other HSCs and only want 1 game but I'm trying to support the 8-bit Atari fans so if a game is not enough to keep people challenged for two weeks then there will be a bonus game. The top players want more action and are battling for points but for most people it's about enjoying the games and you don't need to play the bonus games if you don't want to.

We will keep the two week format which seems to suit most people.

:)

• Like 1

Fellow atarians,

It's proper to start this season with our host´s most recent work: Space Fortress Omega -that has only been available for ABBUC users. :mad:

That said, we ~must~ demand our good friend Jason to release the game! ;)

- Y -

Edited by Yautja
  • Like 1

Fellow atarians,

It's proper to start this season with our host´s most recent work: Space Fortress Omega -that has only been available for ABBUC users. :mad:

That said, we ~must~ demand our good friend Jason to release the game! ;)

- Y -

Like Ramp Rage SFO is going from abbuc version to final version in stages:

Stage 1 free up some bytes to add some new features

Stage 2 make some changes that usually screw up the game

Stage 3 spend ages fixing that and then just when I've about lost it, find out what I've done. kick myself...

Stage 4 start again until either I run out of ideas or bytes!

The latest version is literally assembling now; the house usually has the Atari beeping away all the time I can :)

Any more games for the list - first poll will start tomorrow - we need some that everyone can enjoy for round 1 :)

Does Gateway to Apshai have a scoring mechanism? That would be a fun one. Beent too long since I played them, but prettysure it does.

Welcome leech, looks like you are one player that will stick around :-D

Very good point - if anyone has games that don't have scoring or the scoring is compromised (you can lurk around and not do levels to get more score etc) there may be other ways of making them HSC friendly e.g. by Ranking, Level reached then score, or # of achievements/collected items - suggestions welcome as I don't know all the games, despite my best efforts :)

I've never been in a HSC before (1) (2) but will try to have a go here. I don't know the 8-bit library well enough to have strong favorites, but I might play some more Mogul Maniac even if it is not part of the HSC. Since I don't own an Amiga Joyboard and am a bit too overweight to step onto one anyway, I usually play Mogul Maniac through a PSX64 interface and a PS2 dance mat. It might sound mad but is remarkably playable and may even simulate actual downhill skiing to some part.

(1) Except the ongoing M.U.L.E. one

(2) Mainly because I don't own very much Atari hardware, and I only play games in emulation for testing or in case of an emergency.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Popeye the Pimp? I suddenly feel like I don't keep enough track of the Atari 8-bit library, and at the same time feel sorry for Olive in case she's somehow involved in this shady sounding business.

Oh... slight misreading there.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Two games that have been up for consideration before, but as far as I can tell haven't advanced to a HSC round would be Pogo Joe (though it is rather similar to Topper in the current poll) and Night Mission Pinball (though pinball games like David's Midnight Magic have been played before). Other than that, I went through my book of C64 highscores but sadly found that very few of the games I know from the Commodore exist on the Atari, and of course vice versa.

• Like 2

Jon Andersons Rally Speedway

(Fastest Lap)

I can create a track in RS but it will not save :(. I'm using Altirra, is there something obvious I should be doing ?

Currently using a xex file, would an Atr work. I try later.

I was thinking a custom tracks for a HSC show down :)

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-rally-speedway_4280.html

https://youtu.be/nBYZFRMi-Bs

Edited by RedThunder
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I did something unusual. I utilized a random number generator to first select 5 different letters, then based on how many entries there are on each letter on Atarimania, I randomized which game in order to pick. I added two rules: if the entry I ended up with is missing, looks like a non-game, an adventure or strategy game without scoring I picked the closest action game next to it, either above or below. I also ran it across the HSC ratings to minimize the chance either game has been played before.

These were my five random picks, which I haven't even downloaded to try myself so far so they may be entirely crap or unplayable for a HSC perspective:

Fortune Hunter - has some graphics bugs, but is kind of playable in its simplicity

Joe a Ptaci - unable to understand the controls, but slow as crap (BASIC game)

Let's Hop - this one is a Bounder clone that counts score, time and distance, quite playable actually!

Oh! Frankie! - not that fun, although it has some playability value

Pyromania - BASIC game, slow but simple

Edit: Updated with some playability notes. Most of those picks would be terrible in the HSC, but Let's Hop is worth voting for, perhaps as a bonus game to Yoomp! or something similar.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...