IGNORED

Problems playing Jag games in Retroarch and Launchbox

Eltigro

Okay, you guys helped me out last time, and I've been playing some great games. MAME is working fine for Arcade, but I couldn't get console games to work like I liked in it. So I scoped around the net and tried out Retroarch for the console games, and I'm tying them all together into Launch Box so I have something neat and easy I can click on and get playing. Retroarch has been completely problem free for my TurboGrafx, Genesis, and NES games. I had a little bit of trouble with 7800, SNES, GBA, but have them sorted out now. (Lynx games play no problem... just haven't figured out how to rotate the view and adjust the keys so I don't have to turn my computer sideways to try to play them. :ponder: )

Now I have new problems.

1. I can't get some roms for Jaguar to play. Downloaded Raiden and when I go to run it in Retroarch, it just comes up as a black screen. No sound or anything. I've looked at the page several times and it doesn't seem to have any parent files or anything. Downloaded Zoop! and when it loads I get a "Licensed to Atari" screen, then it goes black, too. I got Cannon Fodder to work, however. Are the roms just bad? (Using the virtualjaguar core.)

2. The next issue is playing Jaguar games in Launchbox. As I mentioned before, I got Cannon Fodder to work in Retroarch, so I went ahead and added it to my Launchbox list. Well, it won't work. I double click on it and the background changes, but the game won't load. I had this issue with 7800 games and went in to Manage Emulators and found that it was trying to use the MESS core. Changed it to the Prosystem core and now they launch perfectly. Oddly, though, Launchbox did not list an emulator core for the Jaguar, so I added it in manually and Cannon Fodder still won't work. I was having similar trouble with SNES and GBA games, but changing the emulator core to a different emulator seemed to fix that, but I only see one option for Jaguar in Retroarch and that is the virtualjaguar core that I'm using. Can another emulator be added? Is there one that y'all suggest? Any ideas?

I've never used Retroarch or Launchbox. However, the VJ core still has a lot of issues, and I'm not sure which version those are using. Try using VJ as a standalone emulator and see if you still have the same problems with those ROMs. You can get the latest build here: http://virtualjaguar.kicks-ass.net/builds/

From what I can see, Raiden gives me the same problem that you're experiencing. Haven't tried Zoop! yet.

• Like 1

Didn't update here.

1. Still can't play these. May be issues with VirtualJaguar core incompatibility or issues with the ROMs themselves. Cannon Fodder works brilliantly.

2. Figured out why it wouldn't play in Launchbox even after I added the Jaguar... I had just listed it as "Jaguar" when it wanted "Atari Jaguar" then Cannon Fodder started working.

I've added another emulator for Playstation, so now I have MAME, Retroarch, and ePSXe all running through Launchbox. May have another one soon if I figure out Saturn emulation... it's supposedly possible, but it's having me do things I haven't done for others (what else is new, they all require something different) and the ISO I have didn't have the same file extensions as the video I watched, so I don't know if I need new ISOs or what... but that's a battle for another day. My next thing is probably going to be to see if I can get multi-disk games to work for the Playstation... I'd like to get past disk 1 of Final Fantasy VII at some point. Right now, I'm enjoying what I have. :grin:

I was messing around with Jaguar emulation this past weekend for the first time in a while and although a lot still doesn't run, there is some encouraging progress at least. Some games that didn't work right last time I tried it, like Rayman, now seem to work pretty well. It's just frustrating that I still can't get a good game of Tempest 2K or AvP going :)

I've never used Retroarch or Launchbox. However, the VJ core still has a lot of issues, and I'm not sure which version those are using. Try using VJ as a standalone emulator and see if you still have the same problems with those ROMs. You can get the latest build here: http://virtualjaguar.kicks-ass.net/builds/

From what I can see, Raiden gives me the same problem that you're experiencing. Haven't tried Zoop! yet.

I had extreme slow down with VJ, but the outdated Project Tempest worked decently.

So I did try out jaguar emulation in Mame tonight, latest version.

It works --kinda. At least some games are playable.

I tried about 5, here's what I found

Working and playable:

Tempest 2000 (has slowdowns though)

Power Drive Rally

Pitfall Mayan Adventure

Too Glitchy to play:

Defender 2000

Didn't work at all

Cybermorph

Here's the command line I used:

mame jaguar -cartridge <cart path>/tempest.jag -bp <mame base dir> -keepaspect

mame base dir is the directory you put all your roms in. I recommend downloading a new romset (jaguar.zip) and place it in this directory. I noticed that Mame/mess have a tendancy to not like the same romsets you use for other emulators.