IGNORED

singed earth demo

mr_me

http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/dl/tank.zip

I found this on the Intellivision Brasil website. It looks like one of JoeZ's example programs. Haven't seen it anywhere else so I thought I'd post the link. I've never heard of the Scorched Earth game until recently. When I was in high school I did something similar for a school project; except it was themed with ships at sea. Had random wind to change things up.

http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/dl/tank.zip

I found this on the Intellivision Brasil website. It looks like one of JoeZ's example programs. Haven't seen it anywhere else so I thought I'd post the link. I've never heard of the Scorched Earth game until recently. When I was in high school I did something similar for a school project; except it was themed with ships at sea. Had random wind to change things up.

It's one of the samples that come with the SDK-1600. There's about 50 of those little tech demos. Perhaps someone should go ahead and put each one individually on a cartridge, right?

• Like 3

Perhaps someone should go ahead and put each one individually on a cartridge, right?

They'd all probably fit on one cartridge, actually. ;-)

Anyway, yes, that's one of the simple programs that came with SDK-1600. You can see the source code here: http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/jzintv-1.0-beta4/examples/tank/

The other demos are in the directory above: http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/jzintv-1.0-beta4/examples/

• Like 2

They'd all probably fit on one cartridge, actually. ;-)

I know. I was being facetious because of the current Hotel Bunny thread.

Anyway, yes, that's one of the simple programs that came with SDK-1600. You can see the source code here: http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/jzintv-1.0-beta4/examples/tank/

The other demos are in the directory above: http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/jzintv-1.0-beta4/examples/

I like this demo particularly because it shows quite a few features of an actual game, including a simple game engine broken down into "tasks."

The only problem I see is that it is quite "advanced" in that regard. There are a lot of aspects that may be inscrutable to someone just starting on the platform, and although each library source file includes significant commentary on what it does, it is not exactly clear why each function is needed nor why the particular chosen solution is applicable.

In my opinion, it would be a great example to showcase in a tutorial, much more so than Tag Along Todd. But who has the time for that, right? ;)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

It's one of the samples that come with the SDK-1600. There's about 50 of those little tech demos. Perhaps someone should go ahead and put each one individually on a cartridge, right?

Yes its there. I missed it when I looked earlier.

Edit: Still people might miss the demo because of the name 'tank'. Even in my high school project it was only a minigame within a larger game.

I guess with Intybasic people aren't using these demos to learn intellivision anymore.

Edited by mr_me

Yes its there. I missed it when I looked earlier.

Edit: Still people might miss the demo because of the name 'tank'. Even in my high school project it was only a minigame within a larger game.

I guess with Intybasic people aren't using these demos to learn intellivision anymore.

I'm not convinced that anybody used them to begin with.

• Like 2

I'm not convinced that anybody used them to begin with.

I did back in the early days when IntyBASIC first came out, then there was a tipping point for me when IntyBASIC reached a certain point of functionality that was creating so much with IntyBASIC itself that I forgot about these examples.

I know. I was being facetious because of the current Hotel Bunny thread.

I like this demo particularly because it shows quite a few features of an actual game, including a simple game engine broken down into "tasks."

The only problem I see is that it is quite "advanced" in that regard. There are a lot of aspects that may be inscrutable to someone just starting on the platform, and although each library source file includes significant commentary on what it does, it is not exactly clear why each function is needed nor why the particular chosen solution is applicable.

In my opinion, it would be a great example to showcase in a tutorial, much more so than Tag Along Todd. But who has the time for that, right? ;)

-dZ.

<InsideJoke>So then you will want more than 5 copies of Hotel?</InsideJoke>

I certainly didn't. The "task" way (promoted in the examples) certainly obfuscates things for somebody new to the development tools and system.

Well, to be fair, the structure follows a very sound approach that is similar to the way that my own frameworks work. It's just that without the proper documentation on the design and the operating model, the source code is mostly useless to newcomers and just causes confusion.

To illustrate, considered that so far, most of the programs made for IntyBASIC follow a monolithic, top-down design. This may not be optimal for a very complex program, but it gets the programmer going. It also follows their way of thinking and it's obviously fit for purpose since the games run.

Any demo that tries to teach a better approach or one which is markedly different from this, such as a generalized framework or a specialized and centralized game engine or state machine, needs to then be completely clear as to its purpose, intention, and design. Otherwise, it just won't help as much as it should.

That said, I understand that this takes a lot of time and effort on top of that already invested in the demo itself.

dZ.

That would be awesome if each one was released on cart seperate. Can you space them out to one or two a month?

Gatefold box is a MUST!

Are there any double-enders on the Intellivision? I imagine one could manufacture unique, quadruple-enders here, instead of boring multicarts with DIP switches or onscreen menu selection. That way, you could fit 4 tech demos in each release, and the oversized, plus shaped carts themselves become unlike all other Intellivision releases and instantly collectable.

Are there any double-enders on the Intellivision? I imagine one could manufacture unique, quadruple-enders here, instead of boring multicarts with DIP switches or onscreen menu selection. That way, you could fit 4 tech demos in each release, and the oversized, plus shaped carts themselves become unlike all other Intellivision releases and instantly collectable.

Why four? You could fit all of them in one cart, and include Christmas Carol, Piggy Bank and Blix along with them.

I tried some kind of unfunny irony, if the original idea was to spend limited nature resources on producing shovelware consisting of 50 demo programs released individually. A cartridge with unique shape would at least be something different so even those who find the number of homebrews are a couple too many as it already is, would want one. ;)

As you may remember, I've already bougt a LTO Flash! (without even owning an Intellivision console!) so I'm aware of that cartridges may hold much more storage than they used to.

• Like 1

I tried some kind of unfunny irony, if the original idea was to spend limited nature resources on producing shovelware consisting of 50 demo programs released individually. A cartridge with unique shape would at least be something different so even those who find the number of homebrews are a couple too many as it already is, would want one. ;)

As you may remember, I've already bougt a LTO Flash! (without even owning an Intellivision console!) so I'm aware of that cartridges may hold much more storage than they used to.

Gotcha. Still, change the shape, release one demo per cartridge, then release it in-box, without-box, gatefold and non-gatefold, then clear shell, and then on a regular cartridge -- and only make 30 of each one. $$$$ :lol:

Well, I need to start creating some minigames :grin:

WHILE 1
   CLS
   PRINT AT 24, "PUSH BUTTON"
   PRINT AT 46, "TO PLAY"
   WHILE CONT.BUTTON = 0:WAIT:WEND
   CLS
   PRINT AT 24,"YOU DIE!!!!"
   FOR C = 0 TO 255:WAIT:NEXT C
   WEND

As you can see, I'm pretty profound here with the "You die" message :P

• Like 2