IGNORED

Road Rash pre-alpha on Jaguar at 30 fps

VladR

3 hours ago, VladR said:

Wait, did you just attempt to compare UK's winter (which I've experienced quite a few times too) with that of Montana/Wyoming/Idaho/Dakotas ?

I am actually trying really, really hard not to laugh now, but it's not humanly possible.

:lol:

OMG, you're like one of those Florida/Cali people back in Jersey who regularly showed up (and stayed whole day!) at work with a jacket, because it was cold.

And by cold I mean 62'F (17'C)

:lolblue:

Which UK Winters exactly?

I'm old enough to remember as a kid on my parents farm being snowed in for weeks and when you have over 500 livestock to look after and are walking miles  over hedgerows  to nearest village and getting airlifted by RAF helicopters dropping foodstuffs for your livestock..

Then you've had a proper UK Winter.

And our farm was at the mildest end of the country. 

Mostly London and couple hours driving north (some *.shire). In winter, it always struck me how warm it was after landing, given that the flight took about 2-3 hours (or so). I never stayed more than 2-3 weeks at a time, so perhaps it got cold after I left home.

Uk's temperate oceanic climate averages +1C as an avg low in January and only has -25 C as a historical record. That is unseasonably warm, to me at least.

Did you live in a place in UK, where:

- it's -40 for a week

- it's -30 for 2 weeks

- it's -20 for 3 weeks

Because I did in MT, and that winter (not last winter) I worked full winter at night, thus higher daytime temperatures were something I only saw on the internet and didn't really experience.

When it warmed up to -25 'C, people were cheering everywhere, in grocery stores people were happy how warm it is (and no, it wasn't sarcasm, it was genuine). Even in Chicago most people were bitching once it hit -20 C, let alone be happy about it!

It was surreal, given that in Jersey people bitched about +10 C. It's funny how it's all relative...

Try going down to the West Country in Winter..go straight past Bristol. .into the rural areas..

Areas where in cost saving measures..councils relocate Highway Agency depo's to middle of the towns, but the snow plough and gritting lorry drivers live in the surrounding villages. 

They can't drive to the depo to get the vehicles out to clear and grit the roads.

That's a UK Winter for myself these days.

I live 26 miles from work..

Do night shifts and if I can't get in..I don't get paid.

Coldest night shift i did at work was -16 so no, given our climate and global warming you of course have the edge on ourselves. .an island located where we are.

But a bad winter can bring us to a standstill as we seem so poorly prepared each and every year.

In my last job i worked with a guy who'd spent past 25 years living in Canada and he talked of Winters there and what a change it was living over here..as he said..it's like you Guys forget what snow and ice is come the spring and it catches you out each following Winter.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Unfortunately, the term "Bad Winter" is really totally dependent on the preparedness of the area, as you mention.

In U.S., you can have 2 inches of snow, but if it happens in Georgia, where everybody drives summer tires all year long, it's, understandingly,  a disaster.

When I spent a December in Oulu (very close to Polar Circle), Finland, it was refreshing to see that the only issue worth complaining about was that the shop with alcohol opened just twice a week.

In my country, the capital city used to grind to a halt in winter for almost a week. Because it had an inch of snow (no exaggeration, 3 days of national news). But I was supposed to freeze outside for up to an hour during blizzard conditions at -27 C (windchill easily around -40C) at 5.00 am for a bus that usually never made it up the hill. It was called "Duh, it's winter :lol: "

The one great thing I never saw in my part of Europe is, that in U.S., everybody drives a truck. And in winter, they mount a small plow. Hence, the local municipality doesn't need extraordinarily overpriced plowing trucks. They pay a local guy few bucks and he can go and start plowing local roads the minute it starts snowing.

So, it's never an issue that there are 2 large trucks covering area of 60 sq miles and it takes 8 hours for them to make one round. There's dozens of small pickup trucks that can plow just fine, as long as they don't wait till it's 20 inches.

Surprisingly, it's more economical to pay few guys $100 (and the whole area is always fully driveable) than to obtain and maintain a $300,000 vehicle (and the area still grinds to a halt for 2 days till it covers all roads) :)

27 minutes ago, VladR said:

Unfortunately, the term "Bad Winter" is really totally dependent on the preparedness of the area, as you mention.

In U.S., you can have 2 inches of snow, but if it happens in Georgia, where everybody drives summer tires all year long, it's, understandingly,  a disaster.

When I spent a December in Oulu (very close to Polar Circle), Finland, it was refreshing to see that the only issue worth complaining about was that the shop with alcohol opened just twice a week.

In my country, the capital city used to grind to a halt in winter for almost a week. Because it had an inch of snow (no exaggeration, 3 days of national news). But I was supposed to freeze outside for up to an hour during blizzard conditions at -27 C (windchill easily around -40C) at 5.00 am for a bus that usually never made it up the hill. It was called "Duh, it's winter :lol: "

The one great thing I never saw in my part of Europe is, that in U.S., everybody drives a truck. And in winter, they mount a small plow. Hence, the local municipality doesn't need extraordinarily overpriced plowing trucks. They pay a local guy few bucks and he can go and start plowing local roads the minute it starts snowing.

So, it's never an issue that there are 2 large trucks covering area of 60 sq miles and it takes 8 hours for them to make one round. There's dozens of small pickup trucks that can plow just fine, as long as they don't wait till it's 20 inches.

Surprisingly, it's more economical to pay few guys $100 (and the whole area is always fully driveable) than to obtain and maintain a $300,000 vehicle (and the area still grinds to a halt for 2 days till it covers all roads) :)

"Gas" is far cheaper in the US i believe? 

In the UK our government slaps a huge fuel tax on petrol on top of our road tax.toll roads etc.

Money goes to treasury to supposedly be pumped back into the highways and supporting infastructure. ..

1 hour ago, VladR said:

1. Talk about technical stuff (3dsmax) -> WTF

2. Talk about non-technical stuff -> WTF

3. Post a video of your build (like in past) -> WTF

It's so easy to please you guys :lol:

So to summarize, all talk and no show. You make a valid point there. 

There’s a difference between receiving critical feedback / opinions and requests from those who are interested in seeing substantial progress over years of hyper-technical FPS mumbo jumbo. It’s really simple as videos are the easiest way to visually communicate progress. Your last video was from over a year ago and pre-dates your claims to have completely rewritten Atari’s audio code into usable form so that it doesn’t hinder performance of whatever the title of this is, which you’ve stated now has stats, procedural generated tracks, RPG elements, so-on and so forth. Who knows what else, or not, since its been a full year. 

To say that everyone is hard to please is nothing more than a diversion tactic. Every other person to ever develop a game regularly shares video updates as they make progress, negative feedback or not. Some even go as far as to share their builds for others to test out to gain even further feedback or provide just for fun. 

It doesn’t take a detective to realize that at the end of the day, there’s no actual game progress therefore there’s nothing new to share. And that’s all fine and dandy. But it would be far more fair to admit that progress has been slower than you care for instead of accusing everyone in the forum of only bitching if you show something (or don’t) out of fear they won’t like it.

How about:

1. Continue to divert attention due to lack of progress by posting and talking about anything but. -> WTF

And really, snow? Give me a break. We’re not in the dune buggy and horses time period and it doesn’t take a sunny day to upload a video.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I guess nobody here likes burgers.

Thats a shame because I can talk about burgers for hours.

Anyway Vladr if you don't make it to PRGE due to the weather which is what Im gathering here, it is only fair to upload video of your Jaguar progress here in this thread that same weekend. You know kind of like a substitute for being at the event. If you want I can help you with this, just send me the binary file and I will record video like I did before.

Im gonna go get me a burger now. ? (a whopper with cheeeeeeeese)

Maybe a hotdog too. ?

Wow, what a mess I started again. So quiet for so long.

No interest in a WIP video of the game. But showing just a picture of the "super cool working setup" is just any one can do with GIMP. Here a nice "makeing off" video would be cool.

Anyway, Vladr, take care, drive safely and don't forget to take enough hot tea and blankets with you.

Edited by 42bs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 42bs said:

Wow, what a mess I started again. So quiet for so long.

No interest in a WIP video of the game. But showing just a picture of the "super cool working setup" is just any one can do with GIMP. Here a nice "makeing off" video would be cool.

Anyway, Vladr, take care, drive safely and don't forget to take enough hot tea and blankets with you.

I would have expected, that of all people, you would understand why I am excited that I can finally offload 3D modeling to anybody remotely (even if it isn't for my first game).

Yes, to me, it is the very definition of "very cool setup". And while I can model inorganic meshes just fine, I -surprisingly- prefer coding to 3D modeling.

4 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Reading this thread makes me hungry. I want a burger now. Does anyone else here love burgers as much as I do? VladR what's your favorite burger place?

Not a burger guy, I cook all my food at home. But I recently discovered Smashburger (has been around only, like, forever :lol: ) and loved it.

But, netiquette demands you posted the PopCorn.GIF. You wasted such a perfect opportunity :lol:

2 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Anyway Vladr if you don't make it to PRGE due to the weather which is what Im gathering here, it is only fair to upload video of your Jaguar progress here in this thread that same weekend. You know kind of like a substitute for being at the event. If you want I can help you with this, just send me the binary file and I will record video like I did before.

The storm isn't that bad, because it's luckily a Tropical Snowstorm - e.g. it's around 32F (0C), so it's instantly melting. So much for the dramatic 3FT+ predictions, it's barely 10 inches now (but it is still snowing) :lol:

It is true, that the state of ND has flagged my 30-mile connection road to the interstate highway as "No travel advised - avoid " but that will surely change within a day or two.

But, in the unlikely scenario that I couldn't leave, I would email you the build, for sure. Thanks for offering. It's great to see that there are, after all, some genuinely nice people :waving:

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, VladR said:

But, in the unlikely scenario that I couldn't leave, I would email you the build, for sure. Thanks for offering. It's great to see that there are, after all, some genuinely nice people :waving:

The fact that you would chose someone who has consistently lied to his customers about lack of bugs as the good guy speaks volumes for you.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Hi Lawrence! Hope you are having a swell day!

Words

Oh, he is having a swell day, he already  cursed me out in the other thread to be "dumbfuck shitwad" or similar (don't exactly recall the quad-curse combo, it sounded so -hmmm- Australian) :lolblue:

So swell, in fact, that he actually thinks I forgot the clusterf*ck threads where your game was ripped to shreds and:

- they were spinning dozen different sub-threads within main thread to divert attention and create confusion

- they were constantly victim-blaming and taking stuff out of context disproportionately

- they were judging you for personal preference choices (aka "How dare you like blue ! That's not a color!")

- and, best of all, all of that was masked as "we only want best for the customer", like anybody was going to fall for that :lol:

Those threads were, literally, a textbook example on behavior of sociopaths, psychopaths and malignant narcissists. Truly best of the best :)

Anything wrong you did, was outclassed, easily by a factor of 100:1, by whatever crap they started spinning and feeding each other.

But, luckily, we were all there, and can form our own opinion, regardless on how much spin he tries, and tries, and constantly tries to put on it :)

I'm sure some clown will step in and start furiously spinning the same crap, only to confirm my point. Please, by all means, do :)

2 minutes ago, VladR said:

Oh, he is having a swell day, he already  cursed me out in the other thread to be "dumbfuck shitwad" or similar (don't exactly recall the quad-curse combo, it sounded so -hmmm- Australian) :lolblue:

So swell, in fact, that he actually thinks I forgot the clusterf*ck threads where your game was ripped to shreds and:

- they were spinning dozen different sub-threads within main thread to divert attention and create confusion

- they were constantly victim-blaming and taking stuff out of context disproportionately

- they were judging you for personal preference choices (aka "How dare you like blue ! That's not a color!")

- and, best of all, all of that was masked as "we only want best for the customer", like anybody was going to fall for that :lol:

Those threads were, literally, a textbook example on behavior of sociopaths, psychopaths and malignant narcissists. Truly best of the best :)

Anything wrong you did, was outclassed, easily by a factor of 100:1, by whatever crap they started spinning and feeding each other.

But, luckily, we were all there, and can form our own opinion, regardless on how much spin he tries, and tries, and constantly tries to put on it :)

I'm sure some clown will step in and start furiously spinning the same crap, only to confirm my point. Please, by all means, do :)

He's got nothing to record, guys.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Still nobody wants to talk about burgers.

?

I've never tried Smashburger. There is one in my area that I might try one day when I'm feeling brave enough to travel outside of my comfort zone.

Speaking of Australia, I wonder what kind of burgers they eat in Australia? I wonder if it's Angus beef. Or maybe it is Angus beef but they probably don't even call it that there. Is Angus beef originally from Austrailia or am I getting my burger facts mixed up? I do have a friend in the DKC Atlas forum (he actually owns the forums) who is from Southern Austrailia. He is a really nice guy! He has been running that forum for almost 20 years now. I should ask him about the Angus since there isn't anyone Australian on these forums I could ask.

On a side note Hardees (aka Carls Jr elsewhere) claims they use Angus beef for their burgers but there is actually a rumor going around that they in fact use Vietnamese horse meat. I don't know if thats true or not I can't confirm it but I will say this, the last time I ate at Hardees it upset my stomach something terrible and it DID taste funny. I haven't been back since I heard the rumor.

But anyway not really trying to get off topic here.

I do have a question Vladr, you mentioned that the project would have some RPG elements, I'm curious if you could elaborate a little more on that? What I am picturing in my head is possibly a race car (or bike) that can be leveled up with experience points that effect your speed and handling. Another thing that comes to mind is uncovering hidden items throughout the games courses that drastically effect how your vehicle will handle should you choose to equip them. You would equip said items at the start of each race and always have an inventory readily available of everything you have already collected/discovered.

Am I on the right track here?

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES
spelling

1 hour ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Still nobody wants to talk about burgers.

Am I on the right track here?

I love burgers, but don't want to shit up VladR's thread.  Since I am here I'll say this:
Local Dairy Queen - Flamethrower Jalepeno burger.  https://www.dairyqueen.com/us-en/Menu/Food/US/Combos/GrillBurgers/FlameThrower-Grillburger-/

Only thing I don't like about my lcoal store, is they only sell the half pound version and I do not eat like a pig so I can barely finish a 1/4 pounder.

If I see video of Vlad's game running at PRGE, I will celebrate by forcing myself to eat an entire half pound burger.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

If I see video of Vlad's game running at PRGE, I will celebrate by forcing myself to eat an entire half pound burger.

Save yourself the heartburn and just record a video of vladr's progress so far and post it.

You'll be doing both yourself and vladr a solid. :)

Oh and a home made beefburger with extra mature english cheddar and crispy bacon with lettuce, tomato and ketchup in a lightly toasted bun is the way to go.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, saboteur said:

Save yourself the heartburn and just record a video of vladr's progress so far and post it.

You'll be doing both yourself and vladr a solid. :)

Oh and a home made beefburger with extra mature english cheddar and crispy bacon with lettuce, tomato and ketchup in a lightly toasted bun is the way to go.

You make me hungry, and it is just 9:30am :(

On 10/10/2019 at 3:49 AM, VladR said:

OMG, you're like one of those Florida/Cali people back in Jersey who regularly showed up (and stayed whole day!) at work with a jacket, because it was cold.

And by cold I mean 62'F (17'C)

:lolblue:

Sounds like you're joking, but he speaks the truth! People in Florida really do this, I was at Walmart in Merritt Island and the sign said "Winter Coats" and it was a bunch of hoodies. LOL

• Like 1