IGNORED

Mattel Electronics handheld simulator

mr_me

One of the reason we wanted an Intellivision in 1980 was because we enjoyed the Mattel Electronics handheld games so much.

I found this simulator which seems to work well, and sounds right. I'm thinking the author sampled the sounds. I got to see what was different with "American" Hockey after all this time.

http://www.peterhirschberg.com/handheld/ledhead/

Game instructions can be found here.

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Mattel/index.html

Pretty cool, thanks for posting.

I never knew the Canadian version of hockey was different. The 'rink' is much less rounded, and it seems you can't go behind the net to setup a shot. Might have to pick one of those up.

I still have my 3 childhood originals (2 of which are still CIB); Basketball, Soccer (CIB), Hockey (CIB). Basketball was my first, but Hockey was my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FTFY

Oh yeah, I succumbed to the Apple Overlords when I needed a phone to replace the Pre. It seemed better than Android at the time. Not so sure now though... With each iOS update my 6 gets slower and flakier. Built-in Apple obsolescence at work.

Oh, and I had a custom Tapatalk signature, but when the app updated, it was "accidentally" (ha, yeah right) reset to the default...

Edited by nurmix

Oh yeah, I succumbed to the Apple Overlords when I needed a phone to replace the Pre. It seemed better than Android at the time. Not so sure now though... With each iOS update my 6 gets slower and flakier. Built-in Apple obsolescence at work.

The one thing Apple has over Android is that it does a much better job supporting old hardware. With Android you have to depend on Android update, then the phone manufacturer update, and then the cell/mobile company update. And then you get worse performance. At least its possible to go back to the old Android. [not easy but possible] Edited by mr_me

One of the greatest things Steve Jobs ever achieved was to convince people that Bill Gates was the backstabbing weasel thief.

I was trying to find out if Jobs used those words and then I found this quote from Gates. “Well, Steve, I think there’s more than one way of looking at it. I think it’s more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it.”

I do know that Jobs accused Gates/Microsoft of making "crappy" software.

It was a great feat, especially considering that Steve Jobs did the stuff.

Yup. Jobs never had an oriignal idea in his life. From scamming Wozniak repeatedly all the way up to.. you know what? Here's my favorite Steve Jobs quote.

“Bill is basically unimaginative and has never invented anything, which is why I think he’s more comfortable now in philanthropy than technology. He just shamelessly ripped off other people’s ideas.”

He said that with not a single trace of irony or satire. He genuinely believed that everything he did came from his own mind, when the reality is nothing had. And Apple is STILL pulling this crap, claiming Samsung stole "Rectangle phone" and "icons on a background" from them.

Like Samsung invented Android or something. Or that Apple came up icons on a background. Or, apparently, the rectangle. Steve Jobs' legacy marches on and on and on.

I was trying to find out if Jobs used those words and then I found this quote from Gates. “Well, Steve, I think there’s more than one way of looking at it. I think it’s more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it.”

I do know that Jobs accused Gates/Microsoft of making "crappy" software.

Actually that's a quote from the biography of Steve Jobs. Bill Gates maintains he never even went down to talk to Jobs, (much less said anything like that). There was nothing to discuss, and Bill Gates was too busy working 80-plus hours a week on a patent he had properly licensed to waste time with Apple quibbling about how windows can overlap in a GUI.

The reason nobody stole anything from Xerox was because the PARC team and their lawyers didn't feel it would be a defensible patent. It would be like trying to patent, oh I dunno, the concept of a rectangle phone.

They were wrong. With enough money and little ethics, you can patent anything. Nowadays it's cheaper to pay off patent trolls (like Apple) than it is to fight it out. Even Samsung settled. Apple, frnakly, are now and always have been what they claimed to fight against in that 1984 ad.

Well alot of those Xerox PARC ideas and people came from the Stanford Research Institute. You can't patent something that's already publicly disclosed and you can't copyright ideas. It doesn't stop companies from trying to sue. Patenting the rectangle is a good example of how some patents can be useless in court.

Edited by mr_me

Oh, and I had a custom Tapatalk signature, but when the app updated, it was "accidentally" (ha, yeah right) reset to the default...

Seeing that this thread is already way off the rails, what is it that you like about Tapatalk? I think it's gross, I don't like the way it inserts itself between the user and the forums. Especially on AtariAge, which has a nice mobile view already.

Seeing that this thread is already way off the rails, what is it that you like about Tapatalk? I think it's gross, I don't like the way it inserts itself between the user and the forums. Especially on AtariAge, which has a nice mobile view already.

It used to be the best way to access a forum, and if you logged into multiple fora, you could do so using a consistent interface for all sites. Then it went to sh*t. It became user-hostile, very unstable (crashing often), and they even started putting ads in the paid version. I stopped using it completely and started using the mobile theme on the site. It works really good.

I don't use Tapatalk any more so I don't know if it went back to being good.

• Like 1

It used to be the best way to access a forum, and if you logged into multiple fora, you could do so using a consistent interface for all sites. Then it went to sh*t. It became user-hostile, very unstable (crashing often), and they even started putting ads in the paid version. I stopped using it completely and started using the mobile theme on the site. It works really good.

I don't use Tapatalk any more so I don't know if it went back to being good.

My experience is similar. I also don't trust them to hold my (admittedly very low-risk) forum passwords, especially since the software seemed to forget them all the time anyway. It also relies on the forum owner keeping a paid software license up to date, probably to drive traffic to their app, which means forum support has a lot of holes in it...many places I like don't work with Tapatalk.

It was a good idea in the early days of smartphones, but their execution has really slipped. User-hostile is a good description. It's not for me.

The main thing I like is that it remembers the message where you left off in a thread, and takes you there the next time you come back to that thread. Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't happen with the web or mobile versions of AA.

I also like how it's a uniform interface for all the forums I read. And I like the way it organizes things with threads (subscribed, participated, unread), and the way threads are presented - easy to read titles and an image from each thread.

What I primarily don't like is it's prone to crashing - and has gotten more so with each new version.

The main thing I like is that it remembers the message where you left off in a thread, and takes you there the next time you come back to that thread. Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't happen with the web or mobile versions of AA.

I also like how it's a uniform interface for all the forums I read. And I like the way it organizes things with threads (subscribed, participated, unread), and the way threads are presented - easy to read titles and an image from each thread.

What I primarily don't like is it's prone to crashing - and has gotten more so with each new version.

The web does that too.