IGNORED

Dungeons of Asgard - game under development

Asmusr

nice update! those villans are wimps! :) I kept getting my butt kicked on l1 until i got some armor

noticed that if you go back to town the dungeon randomizes again when you go back down..

also had one point where i went in from town and my up-stair turned into a down-stair.. pretty sure.. will try and reproduce

Greg

noticed that if you go back to town the dungeon randomizes again when you go back down..

That's expected - I cannot save the full state of each dungeon level. I could regenerate the same level with the same monsters and items and all tiles hidden, but that would be boring. The idea is that you should move further and further down into the dungeon (using scroll of recall) as your level rises.

also had one point where i went in from town and my up-stair turned into a down-stair.. pretty sure.. will try and reproduce

That's not expected. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just downloaded the new version! ...looks like if I load my char from the old version it actually loads!.... but it takes a LONG TIME and then it takes FOREVER to move to I am assuming these two version aren't compatible. It's actually pretty amazing that it even loads, just thought I would try it out for giggles.

Let the new adventure set forth in version 0.2.0!!

• 1 month later...

Time flies, the previous version was from 17 January. I didn't work on the gameplay lately, but I have been working on the music. I'm not much of a composer so it may sound weird, but my plan with this game is to create something that's all my own doing [edit: except for Tursi's music player, of course]. I have made a town tune and a dungeon tune. The latest version is available from the first post of this thread.

• Like 1

Time flies, the previous version was from 17 January. I didn't work on the gameplay lately, but I have been working on the music. I'm not much of a composer so it may sound weird, but my plan with this game is to create something that's all my own doing. I have made a town tune and a dungeon tune. The latest version is available from the first post of this thread.

nice!

your town music hits me wrong ..should be more light hearted or less first voice.. it's a little overwhelming

I like the dungeon music!

otherwise good so far need to give it more game time just my first impression

Greg

your town music hits me wrong ..should be more light hearted or less first voice.. it's a little overwhelming

I think you're right, but I don't have any more ideas right now. The best I can do for now is to slow it down and dampen it a little.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I really need to take some time to make a nice label for this one (unless Ciro already has one). . .that way those who want single-use cartridges can make them.

He has one

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

:P I haven't one ready for this game, i think that once the game will be finished i'd like to have on Cart and so i will like to have a label, but at the moment i haven't at all.

If you like to do one Jim you can do of course... feel free please :)... anyway if I will feel inspired, I will do a my version as always... but i will wait the final released game

• Like 2

Do you update the map during game play? If not, could it be made into a cartridge that doesn't use SAMS anymore?

Yes the map is randomly generated and is updated when you light it up, tunnel through walls or pick up items. One of the objectives when I started this project was to use SAMS for something that could not be done using 32K+ROM, but as the game is now there is so little variation in the map that it could be much smaller without affecting the game play.

Yes the map is randomly generated and is updated when you light it up, tunnel through walls or pick up items. One of the objectives when I started this project was to use SAMS for something that could not be done using 32K+ROM, but as the game is now there is so little variation in the map that it could be much smaller without affecting the game play.

Well, hard to argue with that. :thumbsup:

But the FinalGROM 99 does have 512 KB of banked RAM ... just sayin'. ;)

Well, hard to argue with that. :thumbsup:

But the FinalGROM 99 does have 512 KB of banked RAM ... just sayin'. ;)

Yes a FG99 version would certainly be possible, at least if it still required 32K. Running it from the FG99 only would be harder.

The problem is, my interest in this game has fizzled out a bit now that I have created most of the program skeleton and the (for me) boring work of adding items and monsters to the data files remain. But the code is in good shape, so I might come back to it later.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I dont know anything about programming, but I am willing to enter all of the monster data if you had a template or something i could fill out? I dug my old second edition monstrous manual out of the closet today so i would just use that stats and names etc. What do you think?

• Like 2

It's tempting because it's not often anyone offers help to finish one of my games. The problem is that it's more than 2 years since I have looked at the source code, so I'm no longer sure where the limitations, if any, for adding more data are. The game is definitely not a full implementation of AD&D rules, but I remember using some of those rules.

I guess the first thing would be for you to take a look at the attached data files and let me know what you think.

monsters.a99

items.a99

text.a99

• Like 3

Here are the first 45 monsters. I just thought I should upload this before I finish to make sure I am on the right path. I think there will be between 150-200 when done. I left your original monsters in too, and just started numbers from 25-70.

A couple of notes:

Instead of using AD&D 2nd edition monstrous manual which has THAC0 and lower AC being better (double negative math), I thought it would be easier to use an updated version from D&D so I downloaded the 5th edition book.

Some monsters have multiple attacks per round, so in lieu of this I just chose the hardest hitting attack. I ignored all spells and/abilities so far. Thus you have some creatures for example Basilisk who is famous to turning people to stone.... might be under powered since I just used it's attack stats. At any rate this definitely gives some variation to the monster stats so their are easier and more difficult ones at the same level. It would be too bland if every level 1 was weaker than every level 2 and all level 2's had almost identical stats? I might need to tweak a few stats if people think the game is grossly unbalanced but for now I like the variation .... but ultimately this is your baby so just tell me what you want :)

If you think this looks okay, just let me know and I'll finish out the remaining monsters in the manual and then move onto the next file -- if not just let me know what I need to do / what I need to change... my goal here is help out! :)

monsters.a99

• Like 2

Your monster file notes size as one of the byte options, but it's not present on the monsters.

I currently have about 170 or so monsters for my CRPG. All the statistics are home-grown, I know I'll be spending a LOT of time balancing them. I'm trying to avoid overt Tolkien ones too, so no orcs, treants, etc. Trolls are fine, they're from norse mythology.