IGNORED

coco's wanted

arcadeshopper

looking for working examples of a 1, 2 and a 3.. have other classic stuff to trade, particularly TI-99/4a stuff but also have some atari apple etc or can pay via paypal reasonable prices.. lmk

Greg

If your on Facebook, join the TRS-80 Color Computer Group.

Also, you might join the CoCo Mailing List.

Be careful not to Mix the two, there appears to be Animosity toward the other... ;)

I am fairly new to the CoCo, and don't really have any spares at this time.

MarkO

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If your on Facebook, join the TRS-80 Color Computer Group.

Also, you might join the CoCo Mailing List.

Be careful not to Mix the two, there appears to be Animosity toward the other... ;)

I am fairly new to the CoCo, and don't really have any spares at this time.

MarkO

nabbed a 2 off ebay today..

• Like 1

any recommendations on a sdcard or flash option for disk/cartridge emu??

Greg

The CoCo SDC is supposed to be good I just ordered one that should be here Thursday :)

http://cocosdc.blogspot.com/?m=1

He posts them in the CoCo FB group when he has some ready but they sell out quick. Last batch of 25 lasted like 3-4hrs

Edited by Iwantgames:)
  • Like 3

so found some games on cassette since that's all I have right now is a cassette cable.. downloaded the wav files, wont load off my tablet as a source..SO tried in MESS on the pc emulating a coco2, cloadm and loaded cybertank.wav drops me to basic after it loads, run gives me a sn error.. manual online has no info.. how do i start the game?

Greg

so found some games on cassette since that's all I have right now is a cassette cable.. downloaded the wav files, wont load off my tablet as a source..SO tried in MESS on the pc emulating a coco2, cloadm and loaded cybertank.wav drops me to basic after it loads, run gives me a sn error.. manual online has no info.. how do i start the game?

Greg

If the computer goes back to a BASIC prompt after CLOADMing, it's looking for an EXEC command. EXEC is the "run" command for machine language programs.

As for running .wav files on your Color Computer, the volume settings can be finicky. It's also possible that the audio on the file simply isn't very good--I've successfully loaded several from my soundcard to my CoCo, and there are others that I couldn't get to load no matter how much screwing around I did with the volume. However, if it loads in an emulator, it's probably just a volume setting.

My Apple II+ is kind of a horse's ass about volume with cassette/.wav loading. Its volume tolerances are pretty narrow. It's actually a very reliable interface once you get the volume right, but zeroing in on it can be a lot of frustrating trial and error. (OTOH, my Timex 1000 and Tandy MC-10 are practically bullet-proof when it comes to tape loading. Go figure.) The Color Computer generally seems more lenient to me.

• Like 3

<< SNIP >>

My Apple II+ is kind of a horse's ass about volume with cassette/.wav loading. Its volume tolerances are pretty narrow. It's actually a very reliable interface once you get the volume right, but zeroing in on it can be a lot of frustrating trial and error. (OTOH, my Timex 1000 and Tandy MC-10 are practically bullet-proof when it comes to tape loading. Go figure.) The Color Computer generally seems more lenient to me.

I had a very nice Radio-Shack Cassette Recorder that I used with my ZX-81... It had a Tone Control as well as the Volume..

When I used it with the Apple ][e, it worked fantastically...

I know that the Sinclair Data Rate was fairly slow, where as the the Apple ][ is around 1500 bps... With most anything, the Faster it is, the Closer the Tolerances must be..

MarkO

• Like 1

If the computer goes back to a BASIC prompt after CLOADMing, it's looking for an EXEC command. EXEC is the "run" command for machine language programs.

As for running .wav files on your Color Computer, the volume settings can be finicky. It's also possible that the audio on the file simply isn't very good--I've successfully loaded several from my soundcard to my CoCo, and there are others that I couldn't get to load no matter how much screwing around I did with the volume. However, if it loads in an emulator, it's probably just a volume setting.

thanks for this, now I can at least check out the games in MESS i think my tablet isn't loud enough going to have to rig something else i tried cloading a tape i got with the computer as well and that didn't work either with a tape deck i used successfully with my 99/4a :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

From what I can tell the CoCo 3 is highly sought after as it has increased memory, graphics, and sound capabilities. Also could run double speed, I think... Still no sprite support but it was the last of the official CoCo line. There's a lot of work making a kind of "CoCo 4" out of FPGA boards as well. I think one of the kits (well, it was a prefilled shopping cart) ran around $160 for the parts...

How to Build a “CoCo 4” – cococommunity.net

Been trying to source a reasonably priced CoCo 3 myself and not having much luck. Mostly the ones that pop-up on ebay that are in my price range are in horrible "untested" condition.

In the meantime I have two CoCo 2's, a 16k and a 64k which I've been using to learn assembly on.

• Like 1

From what I can tell the CoCo 3 is highly sought after as it has increased memory, graphics, and sound capabilities. Also could run double speed, I think... Still no sprite support but it was the last of the official CoCo line. There's a lot of work making a kind of "CoCo 4" out of FPGA boards as well. I think one of the kits (well, it was a prefilled shopping cart) ran around $160 for the parts...

How to Build a “CoCo 4” – cococommunity.net

CoCo 3s are very desirable, but most Games are designed for the CoCo 1 & 2..

Been trying to source a reasonably priced CoCo 3 myself and not having much luck. Mostly the ones that pop-up on ebay that are in my price range are in horrible "untested" condition.

Most people don't know how to test them... Most of the responses I have seen from People getting Units of Unknown Operation Condition, they do work, or do with a little of Re-seating the Chips and checking the Wiring...

In the meantime I have two CoCo 2's, a 16k and a 64k which I've been using to learn assembly on.

Which Assembler are you using??? Which Books are you using???

MarkO

CoCo 3s are very desirable, but most Games are designed for the CoCo 1 & 2..

Most people don't know how to test them... Most of the responses I have seen from People getting Units of Unknown Operation Condition, they do work, or do with a little of Re-seating the Chips and checking the Wiring...

Which Assembler are you using??? Which Books are you using???

MarkO

By horrible condition I mean they look like they were dredged up from the bottom of a muddy lake, so personally I'm not willing to risk it but true these things have been pretty reliable/repairable or I've been incredibly lucky. My 64k CoCo 2 had the power cord cut and it was a 2-second solder job to replace it and it powered right up with no other issues. The 16k had crayon all over it and looks like a kid was kicking it around the house like a soccer ball but it also works perfectly. I've had to replace chips on a TI-99/4a and a C64 breadbox which both were in cosmetically better condition than the CoCos, so I'd say of the computers I've purchased, the CoCo is the most durable... Shame it didn't have composite built-in but next month I'm planning on in touch with Ed Snider for the composite mod ( http://cocowares.com/item.php?nombre=CoCo2%20Composite%20and%20Sound%20board) if he's still making them...

For the assembler I use the EDTASM+ cartridge with "TRS-80 Color Computer Assembly Language Programming" by William Barden Jr. I was using the PDF but I have a physical copy coming. So far I really enjoy it and I don't have a background in assembly or C/C++.