IGNORED

Is the Sega 32X really that bad?

KWKBOX

Full price games were expensive back then. I would expect prices of sixty to seventy bucks for high end stuff like 32x cartridges. Mainstream CD games like PlayStation were a huge relief. I think the arcade ports on 32x were thirty or forty but I can't find much proof.

Remember all those game price lists from the back of the old game mags?

post-2410-0-13022100-1490580225_thumb.pngpost-2410-0-65925700-1490580239_thumb.png

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

My thoughts on the 32X....

If it had more time on the market and had more games, the potential could have been realized

What little there was I liked, but there wasn't enough games for me to buy one circa 1995 1996, when prices were really low :P

I have a Mega Everdrive X3, but only 12 32x games I would play so its a non-starter for me

Seeing prototypes like X Men Mind Games on the 32X made me wonder what could have been..

I'll always remember being blown away seeing Virtua Racing Deluxe, Star Wars Arcade, and Virtua Fighter for the 1st time :-)

• 1 month later...

I had 32X and was worth it, if you did like me and bought it when it was around 20 bucks in the stores. Would have been worth full suggested retail price had it had better games. But the hardware was great. I had Doom and it was the best port in my opinion other than missing some levels. If they came out with more first person shooters like Doom around launch it would have done much better IMO.

I think it would have been far better off for them to have held off on the Sega CD and when they did it to instead have made it 32 bit instead, and just called it the 32XCD addon. They could have I believe added it's own cart port for 32 bit cartridges on that unit if they wanted to allow for 32 bit cartridges. I'm not sure though if they had to tie into the cart port for the 32X or if they would have been able to do it through the expansion port and just make a 32bit Sega CD however. But if so that way only one add on for the Sega Genesis, instead of the monstrosity it was with both addons. If it was just one unit and cheaper people would have bought it and would have probably had a better library of games. Also they could have added a heavier duty power supply to supply both that unit and the Genesis without the need of having 2 adapters.

Does the lack of the BFG and Spider mastermind mean anything to you?

Not that it shapes my opinions of Doom on the 32X, but I would say both of those are pretty "back-burner" when I play Doom.

Sure One is "The Best Weapon In The Game" and the other is "The Baddest Badass In The Game"...

But really... I'm a big fan of Doom, I do a good play through on PC around once a year or two... then I give Doom 2 and 3 a try and wander off to some other game/series;

However I NEVER use the BFG. Ever. I'd rather use those 40 cells for some quick bursts with the Plasma Gun.

It ertainly doesn't make the game easier, because I find the only way to make it's ammo consumption worth it is to herd enemies together so you can zap 'em all with one good BFG blast; but that takes time and skill, and by that point the monsters are probably attacking each other anyway.... basically... BFG sucks too much ammo for what it does (after waiting a few seconds) when you're better off running for your life.

Secondly... The MasterMind... I've always thought he was a letdown as far as Bosses go... he's cool looking... I love the sound he makes when he sees you, but he's incredibly easy

After the fight with the Cyber-Demon I was surprised how easy he went down. If it weren't for the Baron of Hell and Cacodemon bodyguards he has, he would be a joke.

So yeah, cool on paper and whatnot... but I really wouldn't miss an enemy I see only once the whole game and is too easy for his own good, or a gun that never gets used, except maybe to make the easiest boss a little easier.

Edited by Torr