IGNORED

Atari 2600 Promotional Box / System for sale

Gregory DG

Saw this today while visiting the Artegon Marketplace in Orlando...

https://offerupnow.com/item/detail/192310234/atari-2600-video-game-system-1979-promo-edition?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wp_selling_owner

They're asking $400.

I didn't look at it, but it got me wondering... This looks like a "Heavy 4-switcher" Hmm...

Anyway, it's there if anyone is interested.

Saw this today while visiting the Artegon Marketplace in Orlando...

https://offerupnow.com/item/detail/192310234/atari-2600-video-game-system-1979-promo-edition?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wp_selling_owner

I didn't look at it, but it got me wondering... This looks like a "Heavy 4-switcher" Hmm...

I think all the 4 switch woody boxes look like that. In fact, if you compare the boxes for 6 vs. 4, the photo of the system, combat cart and controllers are identical except for the number of switches. My guess is that Atari just modified the original heavy sixer photo to have 4 switches. Probably didn't think most people would notice the inaccuracy.

Yeah, those are just regular 4 switch systems in a promotional box. The standard boxes look like that too; I have one. The background colors are different but the system looks the same. See here, this is my system: http://www.jwnyc.com/games/vcs.html

I used to know the story on those promo systems but I forgot it... I think they're the ones that were sent to stores for display. $400 still might not be a bad price for one, even though it's basically just a standard 4 switch system.

Yeah, those are just regular 4 switch systems in a promotional box..

You sure about that? The first 2600 I had was a promotional set. (wish I never got rid of it :mad: ) I'm fairly certain it was a sixer. Although I had a few 2600s over the years so I won't totally swear by that.

Edit:

I dunno, I'm confused. Everything I can find says the promotional ones were four switches. I'm almost positive the first 2600 I had, which was the promotional one was a six switcher. Because I remember noting that the ones I got after that only had four switches and the difficulty switches were on the back. And I remember thinking that those four switch ones weren't as cool as my original one. :?

Where's that time machine?

Edited by briwayjones

Edit:

I dunno, I'm confused. Everything I can find says the promotional ones were four switches. I'm almost positive the first 2600 I had, which was the promotional one was a six switcher.

(shrug) maybe they made 6 switch versions too, but those almost definitely would have had a 6 switch box. They didn't change the box to show a 4 switch system until they changed to 4 switch systems. (I guess there might have been some slight overlap as they used up old stock.) And that picture is exactly the same one as on the regular 4 switch boxes - they all showed a "heavy fourer". They didn't take a new picture; they just airbrushed out two switches.

It is possible your memory is just faulty; I have had that happen about plenty of things in my life, especially stuff that I'm sure I remembered from when I was a kid. Memories are not reliable or tangible, and they become less so as time goes on. I've seen lots of stuff about how easy it is to reinforce false memories over time and see things really clearly in your mind that just didn't happen. Up until I was about 25, I was convinced I had been to Germany when I was about 8. It took what amounted to an intervention by my entire family (all the people I swore I was there with) to convince me that it never happened. I had apparently taken a few real memories from different vacations (like seeing a German flag on top of some sort of museum, and a Carter-era gas station that priced gas in liters) and added them up to a mythical trip to Germany that I remembered in great detail even though no such trip ever occurred.

Edited by spacecadet