IGNORED

1088XEL Alternative Mother-Board Project

mytek

I just figured out how to do a cut-away view in TinkerCad, and thought it might be interesting to post the result...

lEcHIMm.png

It's actually very easy to do. You make a block in whatever size that suits what you wish to cut-away, make it into a 'hole', move it over your model, and then group the entire thing.

- Michael

• Like 4

So, do we have any feel at all about how much the finished product might cost?

Thanks!

Too early to know what the total cost would be for all of the components, since I still need to work up a BOM and then price the individual pieces out, but for the 4-layer PCB assuming you were to go with the standard set-up (1 oz copper, green solder mask, white silkscreen, and 1.6 mm thickness) it would be $17. To get that price, would only require an order of 5 pieces which is the smallest order accepted (total price = $86 for 5 pieces). And for an extra $8 for DHL shipping, you would get these in no more than 5 days. This was quoted through ALLPCB.com for the un-routed board, but with all power planes connected. I don't think the price will change much with the traces routed.

Actually the funny part is that the PCB will be one of the cheaper components in this project.

- Michael

EDIT: Since you might have been referring to the Cart Tunnel cost, that is $30 from i.materialise to my door. Made from Polyamide (Dyed black).

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 2

I can't wait to see a finished unit. I'm dying to put one of these together myself.

You'll get your chance not too far down the road ;-) My intentions are to finish verification of form and fit within 1 week, and then start the trace routing. I'm thinking that'll take roughly 2 weeks in between other obligations, and then about 1 week following that to have the first run boards in my hands. Add another week or two for assembly and testing. So its looking like 5-6 weeks before preliminary release to a couple of beta testers. All together 2 months to final release to everyone.

By that time we should already have some beginning traction on setting up a pre-order and mass buy (that'll get handled by someone other than me).

- Michael

• Like 3

I do believe I now have the PCB color adjust and oscillator sections all sorted out at this time :thumbsup: . I changed the color adjustment to an open frame trim pot which is a little bigger and also less expensive than what I had before. I also moved the primary oscillator section over to the left side with crystal X1 now being accessible even with a VBXE or Sophia board in place. Crystal X1 will also be socketed, thus allowing for a change from a PAL to NTSC crystal, or vice versa (the crystal socket can be made from a cut section of a machine pin DIP or SIP socket).

TV10OpU.png

- Michael

• Like 4

Sometimes I don't know my left from my right. On that previous post I meant to say "I also moved the primary oscillator section over to the right side with crystal X1 now being accessible".

- Michael

• Like 3

So what we are seeing here is that this isn't a one size fits all situation. But with some adaption and the numerous choices that are available in Mini-ITX cases, it will certainly yeild some very interesting outcomes. Only limited by one's imagination. Welcome to the world of DIY.

- Michael

That means I can still cross my fingers for a 1088XEL that looks likes this :grin:

atari-console-concept-delaney-digital-fr

• Like 8

I was thinking about a case like this:

post-8513-0-20510700-1488914316_thumb.jpg

although I'd have to rename it the 5200XL. :-D (No, I would never harm a working 5200, but there are plenty of dead/as-is models available on Ebay. Plus, GTIA/ANTIC/POKEY and probably more components could be used to populate the 1088XEL board.)

• Like 3

I see everyone is thinking outside of the 'box' ;)

I like what I'm seeing, and as I mentioned before it'll be very cool to see all of the variations to enclose this new motherboard. Lot's of choices for sure! I think my favorite for the moment is the one that Kavik posted (I'm in full agreement with Kyle on this one).

atari-console-concept-delaney-digital-fr

That is so friggin bad ass wicked looking :-o:thumbsup::thumbsup:

- Michael

EDIT: It really would lend itself very well to the Mini-ITX motherboard form factor, with most all of the ports coming out the back. And since the joysticks have the flexibility to go anywhere, I think low and out the front would make sense for those.

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 4

See more of it here: Atari console concept

Very nice! Too bad it wasn't a reality :(

Speaking of reality... The trace routing has begun...

Vi3przl.png

I got most of the bottom half done, but still need to route the chip selects and various handshake signals. The analog video section to the right is 98% complete, just missing the routing of the color signal up to the UAV and the RGB-THRU signals to the DIN-13 video connector on the back side. When I get everything electrically connected, then I'll go back in and tweak trace spacing and fine tune the paths.

I'll be ready for that cool looking Atari concept enclosure pretty soon ;)

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 7

Speaking of reality... as "bad" as it is, that thing would be a dust nightmare. I'd prefer something stylish, but practical too.

Meh - vacuum with a duster attachment or a can of compressed air. Surely you are not the type to not buy a gloss black car because it is hard to keep shiny?

Meh - vacuum with a duster attachment or a can of compressed air. Surely you are not the type to not buy a gloss black car because it is hard to keep shiny?

I prefer satin, and it's not too gloss anyway. But that's not the issue, it's all those fins.

This quote is taken from the FPGA based Mini-ITX Clone topic...

Yes are there for the better support of pcb, and if you ask me, even those isn't enough! The 4 basic support holes are just to keep pcb in place.
The owner must add plastic spacers in bottom side, using a bolt in top. On the revised board I have add 9 more, especially near the IDC connectors who someone must press to fit. Support holes is a must against the bend of pcb, with any evil consequence can cause this!

I have read the thread of your excellent project for the Atari XL, and I propose to think seriously except the holes to go with 2mm pcb thickness.

--

I think santosp gives good advice with the idea of going with 2mm vs 1.6mm PCB board thickness. So I re-quoted with ALLPCB based on a 2mm board thickness this time. If the board quantity is moved from 5 to 10 pieces, it still yields a per board cost of just over $17 (this price includes the shipping charge). And I can also get my choice of color and lead-free as well... all for that same price. I had almost the exact same thing produced for another client a while back, and it looked great without any problems (except it was a 2-layer board).

OsNDFCE.png

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 5