IGNORED

NeoGeo Pocket Colour Flash Cartridge

SainT

Hi all, I'm starting this thread as a place to keep track of updates and any questions relating to the NeoGeo Pocket cartridge I'm developing rather than spamming the NeoGeo thread too much! :) 

A general overview:

Memory card slot for game installation.

16mb of flash storage, 15mb of which is usable for game storage.

The cart will be split into 30x 512k slots, with games taking 1-8 slots each.

Switching between installed games should take just a few seconds.

The menu system for the cart will offer full flash management for deletion of existing games, writing of games back to the memory card and also installation of new games.

All console side source code will be open source, the same as the Lynx, such that people can freely modify the menu system as they like, or take advantage of native memory card access (video / audio playback, etc...)

Potential for unique id per cart for DRM style features for new software (would require active support from developers to use this as its not something I have time to do entirely myself)

Any questions, please feel free to ask. I may well keep a faq in this first post, I'll see how we go.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 19

Hi all, I'm starting this thread as a place to keep track of updates and any questions relating to the NeoGeo Pocket SD cartridge I'm developing rather than spamming the NeoGeo thread too much! :)

Hi SainT,

Have no fear kind sir, we would've been glad to see you posting on there with your latest updates no matter what! :) Come by soon and see the latest from us on the Neo-Geo thread :-D

Glad that you're making progress for sure. Can't wait to get my hands on one to play on my NGPC. Thank you for contributing to the community and with your content. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to see more in the immediate future on this project! :)

Anthony..

• Like 2

I will be interested in this as well. I own a Flash Masta. It's a great product, but an SD card based flash cart would be a nice step up. I will be watching this very closely along with your Jaguar project.

Also, I'm still very happy with my Lynx SD flash cart. :)

Keep up the great work!!!

• Like 1

I wanted to say this over at the NeoGeo forum but well, that didn't go over well. As far as the mods go there it's kind of like Fight Club, the one rule is you don't talk about (back to) the mods (or else.) I learned that one somewhat the hard way very early on there that until you're well established (years) and in the inner circle of regulars it's asking for it. I get why it was done, can't say I agree but whatever, you weren't begging for money.

I hope your project isn't just vapor and dreams, goes from what you show to a finished saleable project. I'd consider it if I ever happened across a NGPC again some day as the SD solution is far better than a 1-2 game re-writeable pain in the butt using a PC for each change. Dump what you want on a little card and done.

On 1/19/2017 at 3:40 AM, Tanooki said:

I wanted to say this over at the NeoGeo forum but well, that didn't go over well. As far as the mods go there it's kind of like Fight Club, the one rule is you don't talk about (back to) the mods (or else.) I learned that one somewhat the hard way very early on there that until you're well established (years) and in the inner circle of regulars it's asking for it. I get why it was done, can't say I agree but whatever, you weren't begging for money.

I hope your project isn't just vapor and dreams, goes from what you show to a finished saleable project. I'd consider it if I ever happened across a NGPC again some day as the SD solution is far better than a 1-2 game re-writeable pain in the butt using a PC for each change. Dump what you want on a little card and done.

Yeah, I don't appease the egos of others, so I won't be returning there. ;)

Check out my Lynx cartridge. This project will happen, don't worry about that. ;)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 2

I don't either, but I don't mind screwing with people when they get rotten and I've had to do that over there. Apparently they have a very narrow attention span so if a post size is much longer than a couple twitter tweets strung together you get abused for that too...so I keep doing it. Concise to a point is fine, but leaving out details isn't.

Hi guys,

Hi guys,

C3JjCxdUkAI7jxO.jpg
0 replies1 retweet4 likes
Retweet
Liked

The SainT Of Retro HQ

January 27, 2017 By ausretrogamer

RetroHQ_title.pngAfter the success of his awesome

cartridge, SainT from Retro HQ is back with some new projects for our old hardware. Let the drooling begin!

The self professed geek, hardware hacker and seeker of knowledge is currently working on the Neo Geo Pocket SD and Atari Jaguar SD carts. To say we are excited about these new SD carts would be a massive understatement! We are in constant touch with SainT and will be bringing you updates on the progress of these highly anticipated cartridges!

It may have been a while since there has been an update, but I’ve been busy behind the scenes, honest!

There have been many, many, Lynx SD cartridges shipped in the past few months, but I’ve also been working on more new and exciting hardware. In preparation for the JagSD, which is underway, I have been working on a NeoGeo Pocket Colour SD / flash cartridge which actually uses all the components I intend to use on the JagSD. So it’s actually been a really handy testing ground for Atmel micros and Lattice hybrid CLPD / FPGA devices. Exciting stuff!

C3Kx70zUoAAbN8e.jpg
0 replies3 retweets9 likes
Retweet
Liked

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

I'd like to see where you're going with it. I've wanted a reason to have a NGPC again, but truth be told I can't commit given the nauseating prices of the complete little cartridges, and just some of the stand alone ones at that I used to own like 15 years ago. When some of my favorites which then were like $30-40 (even the domestics like Cotton and imports like Mega Man) were down there and now you can pay into the 100s for a loose cart alone it's 100% turned me off things. I like the system a lot, it had a lot of potential, but with such a small library of games and scalpers doing that kind of rough riding on it I see no point. But if your card works like a 1:1 experience and it's pretty cheap I'd be very interested in changing my mind on things. I could just get a really pristine handheld and just your device and load it up with the full library (homebrew and all too if it's good enough) and just leave it in the drive kind of like a closed device (like the awesome accurate ATGames GameGear/Master System Arcade Portable.)

I've outlined how it will work in the first post. If you have this cart and all the ROM's you wanted on a memory card, I don't see any reason for ever needing to buy another game. If you want to that's another matter, but the intention is it will play everything without question and you will be able to have upto 15mb of games available for instant play and you can install any games you like with time taken to flash them.

Edited by SainT

I know I read it. Like I said if it works 1:1 like I had a real game in there, other than a menu to select another (like an everdrive) I'd be completely happy with that until(if) the bottom drops out on this video game scalping racket. Your project seems to do that and it's very worth of consideration of buying it. Do you have even a guesstimate what they may cost once it's finished yet?