IGNORED

HSC01 Round 14: Catch-Up Round with 13 Games

ballyalley

This is the last round of season 1. This means you've all got a chance to score some extra points in this catch-up round. There are no "new" games this round, but any of the previous 13 main games can be played. There are no catch-up points awarded for playing bonus games-- those games had to be played during the original round in which they were featured. This round ends Sunday, February 5th at 8pm MST.

The games we've played in this first season of the Astrocade High Score Club are:

Round 1: Astro Battle
Round 2: Space Fortress
Round 3: Cosmic Raiders
Round 4: The Incredible Wizard
Round 5: Clowns/Brickyard
Round 6: Mazeman
Round 7: Bally Pin (aka Astrocade Pinball)
Round 8: Treasure Cove
Round 9: Crazy Climber
Round 10: Sea Devil
Round 11: Galactic Invasion
Round 12: The Adventures of Robby Roto!
Round 13: Blast Droids

You can click any of the above game titles to go to the round which originally featured the game. However, please, post all improved scores in this thread.

Bonus round points are awards for each position that you move. For example, the final results of Season 1, Round 4: The Incredible Wizard were:

1st Chris++ 9,870 (Dungeon 9) 10 pts
2nd darthkur 9,150 (Dungeon 8 ) 9 pts
3rd nd2003grad 7,650 (Dungeon 6) 8 pts
4th glazball 5,480 (Dungeon 7) 7 pts
5th BallyAlley 5,180 (Dungeon 7) 6 pts
6th ranger_lennier 2,990 (Dungeon 4) 5 pts
7th roadrunner 2,260 (Dungeon 6) 4 pts

In this instance, if roadrunner posted a new score of 8,000 points for The Incredible Wizard, then he would move four places (by beating nd2003grad's 7,650 score). This would earn roadrunner 4 bonus points. Note that no one else's earned points are effected when a player scores bonus points in a catch-up round. You'll notice that it's difficult for people to earn bonus points who originally scored in high positions during the original round. In this case, Chris++, who is in first place in the above list, would have to beat his own score of 9,870 points just to earn one bonus point.

If you're posting a score for one of these game for the first time in this catch-up round, then you are considered to be in last place for a round. For instance, let's say that John Doe posts an astonishing first-time score of one million points for The Incredible Wizard. Then John Doe would earn seven points for moving seven places (8th place to 1st place).

Good luck, and remember, post all of your improved scores in this thread.

Adam

Edited by ballyalley

Hey Adam, what is the tentative expiration date for this round?

Oops. I forgot to put that in there. I was figuring two weeks. So, this catch-up round will end when I'm in the lead. I mean, uh, Sunday, February 5th at 8pm MST. I'll edit the first post and add this bit of information.

Adam

• Like 1

After waiting about 30 minutes for my Bally to "warm up (it seems to function find once this happens, I have no clue)," I was able to do an intense hour or so of catching up that essentially gets me a participation medal haha. Most of these games it was my first time playing and it shows. Some I only played a couple of rounds with. The only one I didn't really care for was "Blast Droids." Man that's a frustrating title. I had played some of these but never uploaded anything, and some of my scores are hilariously low. Photos soon.

After waiting about 30 minutes for my Bally to "warm up (it seems to function find once this happens, I have no clue),"

That is such a strange problem! When I talk to Ken this week I'll ask him about this.

The only one I didn't really care for was "Blast Droids." Man that's a frustrating title.

I agree; Blast Droids isn't great. Or, good. It is a finished game, but it seems like it was never play-tested at all. We still need to talk about this game for Astrocast #8.

I had played some of these but never uploaded anything, and some of my scores are hilariously low.

The point of this High Score Club, for me, is just to play the games. I've played the Astrocade a lot this week because I tested every game/program on Ken Lill's UltiMulticart. I was checking the multicart list for Ken, because he'd updated it. I ended up playing some games that I'd never played before, which sorta shocked me.

Someone local to me (about an hour away) contacted me because he'd listened to a few episodes of the Astrocast. We'll be meeting and getting together on Tuesday. He will be playing the Astrocade for the very first time! I'm looking forward to being able to introduce the system to someone who is already into classic gaming.

Adam

That is such a strange problem! When I talk to Ken this week I'll ask him about this.

I agree; Blast Droids isn't great. Or, good. It is a finished game, but it seems like it was never play-tested at all. We still need to talk about this game for Astrocast #8.

The point of this High Score Club, for me, is just to play the games. I've played the Astrocade a lot this week because I tested every game/program on Ken Lill's UltiMulticart. I was checking the multicart list for Ken, because he'd updated it. I ended up playing some games that I'd never played before, which sorta shocked me.

Someone local to me (about an hour away) contacted me because he'd listened to a few episodes of the Astrocast. We'll be meeting and getting together on Tuesday. He will be playing the Astrocade for the very first time! I'm looking forward to being able to introduce the system to someone who is already into classic gaming.

Adam

That all sounds really cool to me. Say hi to Ken for me. I don't understand the problem at all as once it's ready it functions as well or better than ever before, and certainly better with the new TV I have. I just don't want it to konk out.

Did you play the extra RAM games? I'm very curious about these.

Did you play the extra RAM games [on the UltiMulticart]? I'm very curious about these.

Yes, I played the games (and programs) on the UltiMulticart that require extra RAM. I used the multicart with my 32K Lil' White Ram expansion, but I think that any of those games would work with any RAM expansion. The only program that requires extra RAM on the multicart that I couldn't use was the Blue Ram Utility, as it requires the Blue Ram Expansion (it uses an extra chip for I/O that the program tests for before it starts). However, Ken modified that program (renaming it the LWR Utility, Lil' White Ram Utility) to work with any RAM expansion.

Adam

Season 1 of the Astrocade High Score club has completed. Thanks to everyone that played!

I'll be posting the commutative scores for season 1 of the Astrocade HSC by tomorrow. I'll probably have to post a preliminary version of the "final" High Score Table because the HSC was played in two places. It started on the Bally Alley Yahoo Group before moving to these forums of AtariAge. Some (most?) people played in both places. For some people, I may end up having points for their real name and for their AtariAge handle (nickname). In cases where I don't know who is who, I may need some help untangling names.

I hope to officially start Season 2, Round 1 of the HSC by tomorrow. If you're interested in getting an earlier start, then you're welcome to begin playing the main game, Solar Conqueror (a cartridge by Astrocade, Inc) and the BASIC bonus, Space Gauntlet, by The Tiny Arcade. I'll provide much more details about these two games when the new season officially launches.

Adam

Points have been awarded to the two players who participated in this catch-up round:

Astro Battle
nd2003grad - 2,740 - 6

Blast Droids
Roadrunner - 3,600 - 8
nd2003grad - 1,000 - 7

Cosmic Raiders
nd2003grad - 9,825 - 4

Crazy Climber
Roadrunner - 11,500 - 8

Bally Pin (aka Astrocade Pinball)
Roadrunner - Pinball I - 8,440 - 2
Roadrunner - Pinball II - 2,670 - 1

Space Fortress
nd2003grad - 14,400 - 6

Adventures of Robby Roto!, The
nd2003grad - 11,443 - 9

Treasure Cove
nd2003grad - 1,255 - 6

The total points awarded for this round are:

nd2003grad - 38
Roadrunner - 19

As you can see, if you've missed a game during the regular season's play schedule, then playing them during the catch-up round can really help with the points.

Adam

• Like 1