IGNORED

Problems with Windows 10 on bin Files

MrRetroman

I just started having problems with bin files with Windows 10. When I download a Atari or Intellivision game file with a .bin on my Mac and copy it to a external hard drive and boot to Windows 10 and go back to the external hard drive Windows adds a (._) to the front of the file name. Stella will not work with this added to the file name and if you delete the file (._) from the file it brings up garbage on the screen. If I go to the same web sight and down load the program in Windows 10 it will not add (._) and work just find. I was wondering if any body else has had this problem?

Second the recommendation for 'dotclean.' I used a Mac as my main machine for 14+ years (until my last MBP essentially died). Those little "ghost files" are used by the legacy Mac file system but not needed at all if you copy the files to a Win or Linux system. I used to load roms into my RPi3 RetroPie emulation box from my Mac over the lan, but then would run 'dotclean' on the destination directory to clean out any of those pesky bastards that got copied over. Works great.

• Like 2

._ files exist in ADDITION to the original - I have no idea why the original files are disappearing, but standard behaviour is those ._ files are always there but invisible to OSX and visible to windows whatever filesystem you are using. They should have NO affect on the use of bin files on any system -FAT32 or not.

I use my mac just as you, as the source for all my downloading and game management before placing those files on NAS, Windows and PI systems and have not encountered any issues in this process

I use try and use exFAT filesystem on windows systems so that I can read and write with out legacy issues with NTFS though...

sTeVE

• Like 1

I did not notice this tell the os on the mac upgrade to OS Siri. It may be something with the new os or could have been there longer I just now down loaded more .bin files for my Atari Emulator. The ._ never comes up if I down load in Windows 10. If I leave the ._ the emulator will not see the file and if I remove the ._ just brings up junk on the screen.

Edited by MrRetroman

• 3 weeks later...

Are you still having problems?

If so it sounds that somehow you are losing files - you could see both "._????.bin" as well as "????.bin" files in the same folder, both the ???? bits will be the same name.

If you see just "._????.bin" files and no matching "????.bin" file, you or some program you are using has deleted the original.

sTeVE