IGNORED

Any Steel Battalion fans out there?

Guest LiqMat

Picked up some fairly rare documentation on Steel Battalion from Japan. One is an advertising pamphlet and the other looks to be a dev brochure with an entire spread on the dev team behind Steel Battalion. Also picked up the rare Pilot Test beta disc which, from what I understand, was a very limited beta mailed out to certain individuals to beta test "Line of Contact" before its release. If any of you want pics let me know. I will try to post if there is interest. I do not know if it was for trade shows or was for internal use. I know nothing about the history of it. Anyone know Japanese?

I always wanted to try Steel Battalion, but the bundle was pretty expensive and so I never got a chance. Prices are rising on it on the used market so it's not likely I'll ever get the chance to play it. Can't justify the price of it myself personally. Regardless, it looks pretty cool.

• Like 2

I decided to go ahead and release the rare dev brochure and other info over @ Assemblergames.com where a lot more interest in betas, prototypes and other rare items seem to be discussed. You can check out my photos in that post here:

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/picked-up-a-very-cool-steel-battalion-dev-brochure.65176/

Edited by LiqMat
  • Like 1

I love Steel Battalion. It was hard but fair before Dark Souls was a thing.

Hard, but so damn satisfying when you brought a mech down. The most emotionally rewarding mech game in existence IMO because of the steep learning curve.

• Like 1

Ok. Never tried any of this and to be honest, what people don't realize, is the SB controller is not as durable as one might think. I would only use it for Steel Battalion because that is a kind of slow lumbering game it was designed for. Something like Hawken that you need fast reflexes would probably break that controller pretty quickly IMO. Considering you can't get parts anymore and their limited production numbers most of them should start heading to museums and collections. I know that sounds pretty lame, but you can only cannibalize for parts for so long.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=242222324

https://sourceforge.net/projects/steel-batallion-64/files/latest/download

http://www.x360ce.com/

Hard, but so damn satisfying when you brought a mech down. The most emotionally rewarding mech game in existence IMO because of the steep learning curve.

I will say that perma-death is a bit much. The result is that you get to a hard mission and if you don't eject in time you don't get another attempt at it until you work your way back to it with a new pilot. I will cop to the fact that I keep a backup of my save file so that I don't have to worry about that.

I will say that perma-death is a bit much. The result is that you get to a hard mission and if you don't eject in time you don't get another attempt at it until you work your way back to it with a new pilot. I will cop to the fact that I keep a backup of my save file so that I don't have to worry about that.

Considering that elaborate controller was only designed for that one game and then eventually the online "Line of Contact" I suppose they made it a bit difficult to justify the expense. Imagine spending $200.00 on a game and then completing it a few days later. Lots of returns probably. Bottom line, though, is Capcom broke about even on the whole deal and it is amazing this thing ever got beyond the design stage.

I picked up a CIB for $100 in a Pittsburgh game store 4 years ago.

Sent from my non beer holding hand.

Good price, but what kind of condition? One of the first things that disappears is the internal packing materials which is a huge mistake because without it it is impossible to repack the controller in the original box in any kind of organized way. The other mistake is people try to pick the box up with the green handle which unfortunately was not a weight bearing handle and you will see many Steel Battalion boxes with the snapped carry handles. The other common break point is the plastic flip lid over the eject button. I see so many of the controllers with that missing because someone flipped it up too hard.

Edited by LiqMat

The box is a little beat up by nothing torn, it had never been out of the box as far as I could tell.

Same trip and same store (different location) they sold me all their Atari carts for .10 each. After we got past 100 counting the carts they said "make it $10 for them all", I ended up with close to 150 carts. Mostly commons but a few 3's and 4's.

I don't ever find deals like this anymore and they used to happen frequently.

The box is a little beat up by nothing torn, it had never been out of the box as far as I could tell.

Same trip and same store (different location) they sold me all their Atari carts for .10 each. After we got past 100 counting the carts they said "make it $10 for them all", I ended up with close to 150 carts. Mostly commons but a few 3's and 4's.

I don't ever find deals like this anymore and they used to happen frequently.

Wow. That kind of find can only brighten your day. I still find good deals, but usually at garage sales these days and the occasional well timed "buy it now" Ebay lucky find.

• Like 1

I actually acquired my second stick/pedals in two different deals. I picked the pedals up at thrift for a song, and months later my girlfriend's co-worker offers up the sticks in a trade for a CIB NES Dragon Warrior (he didn't have pedals for some reason - and I still have about a half dozen CIB Dragon Warriors)! So I have my original blue-button boxed copy, and now my second green-button non-boxed copy. At one time I fancied that perhaps I'd get a 3-on-3 (3 blues vs 3 greens) home LAN setup going... yeah [emoji57]

• Like 1

I actually acquired my second stick/pedals in two different deals. I picked the pedals up at thrift for a song, and months later my girlfriend's co-worker offers up the sticks in a trade for a CIB NES Dragon Warrior (he didn't have pedals for some reason - and I still have about a half dozen CIB Dragon Warriors)! So I have my original blue-button boxed copy, and now my second green-button non-boxed copy. At one time I fancied that perhaps I'd get a 3-on-3 (3 blues vs 3 greens) home LAN setup going... yeah [emoji57]

I actually emailed Capcom at one point urging them to rerelease Steel Battalion on a newer console or at least PC where you could map all the buttons to the keyboard. I actually enjoy the hell out of the gameplay and it's a shame it only can be played by the very few who can afford the controller. Given, there's nothing like playing it on the real deal, but for posterity's sake how hard would it be to port? Anyway, no reply of course from Capcom.

I uncovered your initial edit of that post... So it was YOU! [emoji33][emoji38][emoji23]

Wow! LOL... Yeah... That abysmal mess. I actually bought that and tried and tried to make it work. I have never hated a game worse (the control mechanism anyway) than Heavy Armor. Just the absolute worst. Although, have you ever watched this guy play? He actually somehow mastered the damn thing and it is actually fun to watch.

Edited by LiqMat

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know these dimensions? This spring I would like to try and build an enclosed, sit down arcade cabinet for this game. I want to make a foam core mack up of the controller first before I start to construct stuff out of wood. Its for dimensional purposes. If anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

post-63714-0-81775000-1519172267_thumb.jpg

post-63714-0-77527000-1519172287_thumb.jpg

I wanted this so bad, and never got it due to price. But I love mech games, mech assault was my favorite Xbox game. This was before you could just order stuff from anywhere online or I'd have gotten it anyways. Price kept it out of local stores, or even ones I could get to.

Maybe some day...