IGNORED

Advice on selling collection

abbeyroad

I am planning to sell my collection which I started in 1981. I don’t play much anymore and don’t have the room in my house. I would like to sell it all together rather than break it up. I assume this would be hard (how would one go about estimating shipping?). I also don’t have a lot of time during the day to run to the post office. I probably would have trouble selling if I said “buyer must pick up”. I haven’t sold on eBay for about 18 years and have to figure it out again.

I called a Retro game store in my area and they are interested but told me with such a large collection they wanted to know how much I wanted to see if we were in the same ball park. I wasn’t sure what it is worth but gave them a figure which I now believe to be way too low.

Also this store seems to know mainly Nintendo & Sega and not much about Atari, Coleco, Intv, ect.

I would like for someone to look at my list and tell me what they think.

I spent the last several months compiling the list; it includes games, systems, accessories, magazines, and memorabilia. There are still a few items I have yet to locate. I know some items are probably worthless, but I wanted a complete list just to know what all I saved.

Can I post an Excel file here? Would someone look at it?

Also I signed up for this Atari Age account yesterday, but have been on here since the late 1990’s. I sent in scans and even a cart to be dumped. I haven’t posted in years and my password would not work anymore.

Thanks,

Also I signed up for this Atari Age account yesterday, but have been on here since the late 1990’s. I sent in scans and even a cart to be dumped. I haven’t posted in years and my password would not work anymore.

Thanks,

Contact Al and get the accounts merged, if you are saying you had an old account that is.

Holy mackrel. Not sure where to start with that spreadsheet. It might prove difficult to source a buyer for the entire collection, might be easier to break it into systems.

It's tough to sell the entire pig, so to speak. Easier to find buyers for bacon, ribs or shoulder. I'm not suggesting you should go crazy and sell sandwiches either... but you might consider all 2600 games, for example. Or all Atari, all Sega, etc.

Its an an extremely extensive collection, to be sure.

Edited by mojoatomic

I would also suggest you go here http://gamevaluenow.com/atari-2600 and download the price guide... Paste into excel and do a lookup table against what you have in your collection. At the least, it will give you a benchmark of what real world prices are when sold individually. I would not think you could command that number in a lot price, however. But you could get a healthy percentage with the right buyer.

They also track prices for your other systems as well.

Edited by mojoatomic

I am in PA near Pittsburgh.

Also I am still looking for some boxes I know I should have.

I also have TI, Com 64, and Aquarius computers with carts. Atari computers and drives with disc and tape games.

Several other consoles (2600, 7800, Coleco, INtv) untested, and a defective RCA Studio II.

I feel for you. Not to glom onto this thread, but I too would love to sell my entire collection, although it's many times bigger than this one (and includes tons of computer stuff as well). I would take pennies on the dollar, but that's still likely tens of thousands of dollars beyond the capabilities of most people to pay.

Wow, amazing collection! Alot of gems in there.

You may want to post what your offer with the used game store was.

As knowing used game stores they will almost certainly try to screw you six ways from sunday.

I would bet just selling a handful of the rare items likely would get you more money than the whole shebang to a game store.

I would say selling it all to someone here for a fair price or selling the rare items separately and then offer the rest in groups by system or company or era would be your best bets.

Good luck!

• Like 2

That is an excellent list and a great collection. Sorry to see it parted out.

Personally I could only use a dozen things, mostly for boxes. There are probably 20 other collectors with needs like that.

Selling it as a lot will definitely net you less than half of what you would if you parted it out more carefully but would take hundreds of hours. It all depends on how you value your time.

I am interested to hear what a game store would offer you. I think you could do better arranging something here, but then it might not be a reliable offer if the person is not nearby.

• Like 1

I personally think selling this as a lot is a mistake. Sure, it's more time consuming to sell smaller lots or even individual items, but you have some gems there, especially in the modern marketplace. Just browsing quickly it seemed like you easily had tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff in your collection and likely much more depending on condition.

Very nice spreadsheet. There's something you don't say or hear every day. :-D

Lots of fantastic individual items to sell there and some excellent lots of commons, you will do very well.

Stupus and Ianoid have given excellent advice. You will be able to buy your own small island or country very soon! :thumbsup:

Anyway, good luck with everything!