IGNORED

The Amiga: Why did it fail so hard in the United States?

empsolo

17 hours ago, Keatah said:

I don't know much about the MacXL.

I always viewed the Lisa as a prototype, even the production models. The whole Lisa sphere seemed like an experiment to me. And I don't consider it a failure because so many Mac "concepts and ideas) arose from its trials and tribulations.

The Lisa / Mac XL was designed to be a workstation for businesses and/or colleges.  However, it cost $10k at the time of its initial release and never caught one even after the revision (Lisa 2) and rebranding to the Mac XL.  It was, by most accounts, a failure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keatah said:

Was the standard 128K Mac out at the time the Lisa2 was rebranded to Mac XL? If so I can certainly see the XL being a failure in comparison. The 128K Mac had all-new software and was much more responsive.

Both the 128K and 512K Macs were out by the time the XL launched.

It actually sold a lot better than Apple were expecting, and the main reason for its short life was that they were running out of parts. The Mac Plus followed fairly soon after though, and filled much the same niche.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Matt_B said:

Both the 128K and 512K Macs were out by the time the XL launched.

It actually sold a lot better than Apple were expecting, and the main reason for its short life was that they were running out of parts. The Mac Plus followed fairly soon after though, and filled much the same niche.

Yeah, Apple decided to lower the price and clear them out.  However, once they lowered the price and made it more affordable a lot of people were willing to jump on it.  But, by that time Apple had wrapped up production of the Lisa / Mac XL line and the regular Mac line was able to finally take off in sales with the Mac Plus.