IGNORED

The Amiga: Why did it fail so hard in the United States?

empsolo

Perhaps the Amiga was what the station wagon seems to be today: super hot in Europe but ice cold in America?

Oh hell no. On the east coast (NY and NJ) the Amiga was the shit (pardon my language). Rest assured it was quite admired in parts of the USA such as my area :) The graphics, the sound....those amazing demos coming out of Europe. We ate it up...and some of use still do and still think it is super hot today :) I work for a large technology company that supplies video cards, memory and so on to much of the world and we have techs and engineers here that have a passion for the Amiga still :)

• Like 2

I knew by late 1986, that Commodore was not going to do the appropriate marketing to keep the machine relevant, and when they laid off the Los Gatos team. Commodore had spent all the money that was made from the peak of Commodore 64 sales, and by the time that Thomas Rattigan had managed to turn the corner of the USA division financially, he was terminated with prejudice by Irving "Why are we wasting time on these computers? They never made as much as the calculators." Gould.

Low advertising budget, bad decision making across the executives, a completely botched launch, compounded with having to deal with a scorched earth policy left behind when Tramiel concentrated on mass marketing the C64. Commodore executives grew at cancerous rates during the Amiga tenure, and so much political infighting and a mess of terrible decision making left C= unable to capitalize on the Amiga's strengths.

Believe me, I wanted the Amiga to take over the world, and for what it provided, I was able to do MORE on it, than I had been able to do on different Sun-2 and Sun-3 machines. I knew what the score was, and by the early 90s, I knew it was all over for any mainstream success in the USA.

(now, the UK division of the company? Totally different story. Kit Spencer trained his people (e.g. Colin Proudfoot, David Pleasance) well, and his successors were able to make the Amiga dominate, until the demise of Commodore International).

-Thom

• Like 2

Yeah, I remember the Commodore magazines writing about rumors that David Pleasance of Commodore UK was about to take over the entire Commodore company at the time of the bankcrupcy. Obviously it never happened.

It makes me wonder how people in the US looked at the downfall of Commodore, if it was mostly insignificant by the early 90's and most people couldn't care less if they went down or not. It is likely that Commodore through the Amigas and CD32 held onto a slightly larger market share in Europe and thus it hit harder here than on your side of the pond.

Yeah, I remember the Commodore magazines writing about rumors that David Pleasance of Commodore UK was about to take over the entire Commodore company at the time of the bankcrupcy. Obviously it never happened.

It makes me wonder how people in the US looked at the downfall of Commodore, if it was mostly insignificant by the early 90's and most people couldn't care less if they went down or not. It is likely that Commodore through the Amigas and CD32 held onto a slightly larger market share in Europe and thus it hit harder here than on your side of the pond.

Speaking for myself, by 1991, it was clear that my next computer was going to be a PC, it was just a matter of when. Amiga was irrelevant to me by then. I didn't even notice when they went bankrupt

• Like 2

Perhaps the Amiga was what the station wagon seems to be today: super hot in Europe but ice cold in America?

It's almost the opposite. Station wagons were once popular here, but now they are seen as uncool. Today's generation don't want to drive what their parents and grandparents drove, and opt for minivans/SUVs instead.

Between Amiga and PC-- The PC was terminally uncool-- But people flocked to it for practical reasons.

Edited by zzip

Speaking for myself, by 1991, it was clear that my next computer was going to be a PC, it was just a matter of when. Amiga was irrelevant to me by then. I didn't even notice when they went bankrupt

It was telling that we never moved beyond an Amiga 500, especially since I was a huge Amiga fan and evangelized it whenever possible. We eventually had a 386 SX-20 (supposed to be primarily my father's computer) concurrently with the Amiga 500, there were already things it could do better than the trusty 500 (having a hard drive itself was a big plus, for one).

I did have an opportunity to visit someone local who had an Amiga 1200, and it was surely neat, it was clear to me too even then that the Amiga had no future. Running things like Wolfenstein 3D and even Doom (albeit with concessions), with sound card, proved the gaming side was working out just fine as well (and I even eventually maxed out the 386 with a whole 5MB of RAM and CD-ROM drive). With our next PC a loaded (for the time) Gateway Pentium-90 with a beautiful Sony Trinitron monitor, I never looked back for a second (although I still of course have my original Amiga 500 and many more models). The price/performance ratio on the PC side just became too compelling.

• Like 2

In the late 80's through 2002 there were at least 6 computer stores within walking distance. Take a bike and that number increased to 10. And a short car ride pushed it to over 20 stores! All PC oriented.

Now there are no computer stores within 50 miles, 100 miles even. Unless you count bigbox.

In the late 80's through 2002 there were at least 6 computer stores within walking distance. Take a bike and that number increased to 10. And a short car ride pushed it to over 20 stores! All PC oriented.

Now there are no computer stores within 50 miles, 100 miles even. Unless you count bigbox.

The dedicated computer store (and computer software store) died out a long time ago. As you say, you can buy a computer from most big box stores that carry some type of electronics.

I think part of the change is that there's not really much a dedicated computer store can provide as a value-add with today's computers. They're more or less complete as-is, work more or less the same, and most software is digital.

On a side note, I used to LOVE visiting the computer shops through the 80s. The walls of (often overpriced) software were extremely interesting to me. Certainly my interest level dropped after the mid-90s. At the same time, I used to love going to computer shows. Once the market standardized around Windows stuff and there was no longer a range of incompatible platforms, I lost interest in those as well.

There are still a handful of these types of computer dealers in my area. I also remember the computer shows.

To me it seems like Newegg and similar retailers killed all that.

I still pass the occasional computer shop on the way to work. These seem to be small mom and pop operations. Frankly, i don't know how they survive, unless it's on repairs (one I pass advertises used laptops starting at $279; seems silly when you can buy new for less). I have no particular need to ever go into one.

• Like 1

I still pass the occasional computer shop on the way to work. These seem to be small mom and pop operations. Frankly, i don't know how they survive, unless it's on repairs (one I pass advertises used laptops starting at $279; seems silly when you can buy new for less). I have no particular need to ever go into one.

The one near me recycles electronic components for a price. That's helpful because it's so hard to get rid of CRTs these days. Don't know how profitable that is. As for selection-- it's lackluster. I imagine they make more from servicing equipment.

After moving around a few locations here in town, Milwaukee PC, the last dedicated computer store, finally went out of business. Good riddance. They NEVER actually carried anything I needed AND they employed idiots that didn't know the difference between ISA and PCI slots (true and very aggravating story). Even their so-called $9.95 DSL Internet, which they proudly displayed on a large banner outside their store, was a scam. Would randomly inquire about it over the course of several years when I'd duck in for the random part they never stocked, and the answer was always the same: sorry, not available in your area. WTF? You're advertising it in town. I live in town and I know for a fact DSL is available where I live, because I've had it. :ponder:

There are still a handful of these types of computer dealers in my area. I also remember the computer shows.

To me it seems like Newegg and similar retailers killed all that.

I clearly remember the day my gramma took me to the McCormick Place in Chicago in the late 1970's. And they had a computer show there. Most of which I didn't fully understand. But I did see the Microsoft 16K RamCard for the Apple II there. I think it was selling for $199 or $299. And I was instantly fixated on getting it. It was so cool seeing an array of memory chips plug in to a slot. I had great visions of programming AI into it and all that. I had to work all of spring and part of summer to buy it.

In actuality I first used it to load different languages like Pascal, Integer, and Fortran. I soon discovered it could serve as a 60-sector SSD, volatile of course, but still oh so cool.

---

I think, and I may be wrong, that the CompUSA types of stores went away partly because of the level of support needed. It was all shifting toward the individual software package. And the hardware was now all plug-n-play via USB.

Hardcore gamers that still futzed with slots didn't need in-store tech support. And they were the biggest buyers of hardware later in the game, no pun intended.

Edited by Keatah

• 2 weeks later...

From a UK perspective, Atari and Commodore were kings of the 16-bit computers, nothing else got a look in. PCs at the time were way too limited and Macs way too expensive.

From my own POV I started out with consoles; a pong clone and a 2600. Then my parents bought me a Sinclair Spectrum to 'learn computing' as it was at the time. Most of everyone I knew ran Spectrums or if they were slightly better off, C64, or if there parents were really minted, a BBC B. I knew no one that used that generation of consoles at all. It's like the NES and the Master System didn't really happen here. I put a lot of it down to the popularity of computing in the UK and the rest down to the sheer cost of cartridges.

This just carried on naturally to the next generation. I went ST then, by proxy of my brother, Amiga. Not only did I game on the ST I also accessed BBS's and did my course work. Plus where I lived there was an awesome scene based around the ST and Amiga. With huge monthly meets at Huddersfield ICI working men's club (yes really). What killed the whole scene here were a collection of things: CD-ROM games and the internet came along and the whole thing just became far less social, PC's got enough poke and Doom came out, and both Atari and Commodore were too slow and/or too late getting their next gen machines on the market to the point that they both missed out.

Personally I bought a PC to play Doom (and do computery stuff) and a SNES to play more arcadey and multiplayer games. But I can't emphasise enough just how big the ST and Amiga was in the UK, they had total dominance for a period and we were all confused when both companies just threw that away. Allowing the PC, in our eyes a generic horsepower machine with no custom hardware, to come in and wipe the floor with them. We were also pretty oblivious to the rest of the world when it came to computing because the UK and Europe at the time were massively into it.

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 5

There's no question that the UK "made" the Amiga so to speak. We (at least me and my friends) loved the Amiga, but the selection of titles was nothing near what the UK had. We all had to scramble to find ways to boot into PAL mode to play all of the good stuff! We actually still do (PAL mods, relokick, etc). The ACA500+ helps with its easy switching tho :) You guys on the other side of the pond had it good though...I am really envious. I don't ever even remember seeing anything beyond the A500 and A2000 here to be honest. Others were of course released in the States, but I certainly never saw them. I think the first time I saw an A1200 was on the internet :)

Perhaps if you're crunching numbers all day or prefer a game of Chess. For action packed games, you need some sort of custom chipset even if it is called SVGA and designed by a group of companies instead of just one.

In particular I remember the PC version of Pinball Dreams. It was ported by someone who didn't know much about PC hardware, and thus it was lagging terribly on a 25 or 40 MHz 386 with a decent graphics card, compared to the smooth flow on the original Amiga version running on a 7 MHz 68000. Back then we used to think that the Amiga was at least 4-5 times as good as a 386, but it didn't take longer until someone else ported the sequel Pinball Fantasies to see that the PC more than enough kept up with the old Amiga, and probably it was playable on a lower spec than a 25 MHz 386 too, simply because the second game was developed by a team who knew the hardware.

• Like 1

The Amigas we sold at my store never had bundles or pack ins,Never saw availability on those but would like to have found them, generally distribution machines were just the a500 everything else sold separate. Sold these basically as a games console, always has an STE and Amiga hooked up on a high power stereo playing games all day long ubually the lastest euro import that you could not get anywhere else in the us for at least 6 months.

Well yes, generic horsepower in bulk is always ALWAYS gunna trump one-trick pony custom chipsets.

Was NOT the view at the time, pc's with cga mono and no sound were never going to catch custom hardware.. which would have been true had they moved along faster, however the industry at the time was all new and nobody knew anything. Heck I remember selling our pc's and it was equally important to be os2 warp compatible as Windows (said so right on the pc!).

These do a booming business where I am at. People are generally cheap so they are still quite busy,even see an occasion commodore or atari there though at a stiff price. Probably have a local lock on spare parts for IT. Most repair guys cant wait for the part and need it today perhaps that is their niche.

I clearly remember the day my gramma took me to the McCormick Place in Chicago in the late 1970's. And they had a computer show there. Most of which I didn't fully understand. But I did see the Microsoft 16K RamCard for the Apple II there. I think it was selling for $199 or $299. And I was instantly fixated on getting it. It was so cool seeing an array of memory chips plug in to a slot. I had great visions of programming AI into it and all that. I had to work all of spring and part of summer to buy it.

In actuality I first used it to load different languages like Pascal, Integer, and Fortran. I soon discovered it could serve as a 60-sector SSD, volatile of course, but still oh so cool.

---

I think, and I may be wrong, that the CompUSA types of stores went away partly because of the level of support needed. It was all shifting toward the individual software package. And the hardware was now all plug-n-play via USB.

Hardcore gamers that still futzed with slots didn't need in-store tech support. And they were the biggest buyers of hardware later in the game, no pun intended.

The computer show at McCormick Place was CES The consumer electronics show, I will always think of that show and Chicago, after it moved my company stopped attending, too far for not enough gain, besides it was all boring pc windows by then.

There's no question that the UK "made" the Amiga so to speak. We (at least me and my friends) loved the Amiga, but the selection of titles was nothing near what the UK had. We all had to scramble to find ways to boot into PAL mode to play all of the good stuff! We actually still do (PAL mods, relokick, etc). The ACA500+ helps with its easy switching tho :) You guys on the other side of the pond had it good though...I am really envious. I don't ever even remember seeing anything beyond the A500 and A2000 here to be honest. Others were of course released in the States, but I certainly never saw them. I think the first time I saw an A1200 was on the internet :)

That's strange, especially since you're out east. There were at least 4 Amiga dealers in my nearest proximity, frequented them all and would typically see the entire line of machines setup on display. Even A3000's & A4000's, but no doubt there *was* a shortage of A1200's for a while. The one machine I remember being really elusive at the time was the A600, but "nobody" really cared. The overpriced and under-spec'd A600 was doomed before the ink had a chance to dry in the mags talking about it. So much for the low-cost replacement to the A500. :ponder: