IGNORED

Printing issue with SIDE 2

Sleepy

Hi,

I´ve a little problem with the SIDE 2 cart. My setup: XEGS with stereo and VBXE (both installed a few years ago), just bought a Ultimate 1MB and SIDE 2. Original firmware on Ultimate 1MB and SIDE 2 until yet (before I do any updates, I want to be sure that U1MB is build in correct and works correctly).

A real printer is connected to SIO.

My problem: When I start the XEGS with SIDE 2 and the build-in SpartaDos X is loaded, I can´t print. Tried out with Last Word (loaded with "X LW.EXE" from SIDE 2, not via the SIDE-LOADER!) and with LIST "P:" from BASIC (switched from SDX to BASIC with the "BASIC"-command). When I start printing, SIDEs LED flashes up, but nothing happens - the printer doesn´t do anything, I get no error-message.

If I start the XEGS without SIDE 2, SpartaDos is loaded, I switch to BASIC, try to print some BASIC-lines with LIST "P:", it works...

It seems that the printing-job is redirected to the SIDE 2-cart...?!?

What can I do to use the printer and SIDE 2? My target is to do my writing-jobs with Last Word loaded from SIDE 2.

It´s my first steps with SpartaDos X & SIDE 2. I tried to find some printer-driver or s.th. similar for SDX, but for nothing.

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy

could you try with panther?

without sdx whatsoever, just clean boot with this file (you can use side2 loader)

ftp://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/atari_forever/Tools%20-%20atr/PANTHER.atr

I put the atr on the CF-Card and followed the steps explained in the SIDE2-manual:

VI. ATR loading - ULTIMATE USERS only

Enter ultimate bios ( help+reset )

Enable Sparta DOS

Enable PBI device with BUTTON SUPPORT

Press and hold “L” to activate SIDE2 loader

Choose Your *.atr file and press enter

The SIDE-LED flashes up, then screen freeze blue with cursor at 0,2.
If atari8 is online again, I´ll update SIDE and try again.
Sleeπ
Edited by Sleepy

Inbetween, I managed to update the Ultimate 1MB to fjc´s improved firmware. I updated "Main BIOS" and "Loader".

Past these updates, LW sends a document to the printer and I heard this familiar dot-natrix-sound ! Hooray! :-)

In the "Ultimate 1MB and Incognito BIOS and XEX Loader: User Manual (PDF)", it is mentioned to update the main bios, loader and the PBI-bios, but the download (Ultimate 1MB Firmware Update 07-12-2016) doesn´t contain a PBI-bios (UPBIxxx.ROM). Is this correct?

After that, I tried to update the SIDE 2-cart. Starting the FLSIDE2.COM-flasher (mounted as D4: via sio2osX), I got a ""WARNING: Flash not found!"-message. When I changed to D1:, I can acess to the files stored on the CF-card; so I think the SIDE 2 is present for the atari, but the flasher doesn´t find the cartridge...

Any idea what I´m doing wrong?

Sleeπ

Edited by Sleepy
  • Like 2

In the "Ultimate 1MB and Incognito BIOS and XEX Loader: User Manual (PDF)", it is mentioned to update the main bios, loader and the PBI-bios, but the download (Ultimate 1MB Firmware Update 07-12-2016) doesn´t contain a PBI-bios (UPBIxxx.ROM). Is this correct?

Inside the "ROMs" folder is ULPBI185.ROM. That's the PBI BIOS. You can also apply FIRMWARE.ROM to the "Firmware" slot using the most recent UFLASH versions if you like. This absolutely ensures all three firmware components are up-to-date and in sync.

After that, I tried to update the SIDE 2-cart. Starting the FLSIDE2.COM-flasher (mounted as D4: via sio2osX), I got a ""WARNING: Flash not found!"-message. When I changed to D1:, I can acess to the files stored on the CF-card; so I think the SIDE 2 is present for the atari, but the flasher doesn´t find the cartridge...

The U1MB PBI feature completely disables the SIDE2 flash ROM, so you need to disable the PBI BIOS (or at least the hard disk) and disable SDX in the U1MB BIOS menu. Boot SDX from the SIDE2 (with the switch in the lower position) and run UFLASH, which should then detect the SIDE flash ROM and allow updating of SDX and the loader (external cart).

• Like 2

O.K., PBI-driver succesfully updated. :-)

I still try to update SIDE 2.

If I start uFlash and choose "Device/Open.../SIDE2", I get still a "Device not present"-message:

post-18285-0-87901200-1485615515_thumb.jpg

If I start uFlash and choose "Device/Open.../SIDE", uFlash shows some information about hardware detected.

post-18285-0-04665500-1485615525_thumb.jpg

Could it be possible that the problem is the CF-Card (or some information stored on the card) ? I also own an older SIDE, which I never really use, but the CF-Card was in the older SIDE before.

Tested: Its the same without CF-card.

Sleeπ

Edited by Sleepy

Meantime, I think there´s something wrong with the SIDE 2-cart. In both position of the switch, the SIDE-Loader comes up. At the beginning, when the cart was new, in one position SDX starts, in the other the loader comes up. Maybe, my experiments in updating broke s.th. in the cart´s software (or the switch itself has a malfunction)...

When I start uflash.xex, no hardware is detected:

post-18285-0-84644300-1485714202_thumb.jpg

post-18285-0-77119100-1485714218_thumb.jpg

Starting uflash with the SIDE-Loader, neither "SIDE" nor "SIDE 2" is detected.

Same uflash startet with the U1MB-loader, SIDE 2 is detected as SIDE.

What is the criterium for uflash to say "this is SIDE or SIDE 2"?

Sleeπ

Edited by Sleepy

Yeah - perhaps SDX has been obliterated somehow, but if the old version of the XEX loader on the cart has the D: file system handler, you should be able to launch UFLASH from there, navigate to your ROMs in the FAT partition, and update SDX and the loader on the cart.

But now I attempt to perform the operation here, it appears I can duplicate the inability to detect SIDE2, so let me see if I can fix this newly introduced bug. ;)

• Like 1

OK - I finally remembered the solution. Boot from SIDE2 with the switch in the SDX (down) position and then type CAR at the prompt. This will run the cart's XEX loader and let the banking register access the whole ROM since the bottom half of the chip is enabled (it's disabled with the switch in the loader position). UFLASH should probably be changed to still allow flashing of the upper half of the ROM when the loader has been directly booted (with the switch in the upper position), but you wouldn't be able to flash the SDX portion then anyway.

The problem comes when SDX on the SIDE cart is damaged and you can't get into the cart loader using the above method. I don't see why UFLASH shouldn't be able to manually open the SIDE2 ROM when run from the U1MB's internal XEX loader, but the base register detection strategy (checking for banking registers and the presence of ROM and ensuring the device you don't want doesn't have ROM banked in at the same time) is quite complicated and I'll need to take another look at it.

The ATR flashers for SIDE/SIDE2 which I included in the firmware update may get you out of trouble with flashing the loader. Meanwhile, the SDX ATR flashers will handle the DOS part of the ROM.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

I´m sorry, I didn´t get uflash accepting SIDE 2.

I´ll updated my old SIDE just now; it was no problem.

I´ll show it to tf_hh at the next atari-meeting; he´s familiar with U1MB & SIDE and knows the hardware. If he doesn´t know, I´ll send it to Lotharek to fix it. Maybe it must be programmed with a programming device.

The important thing for me is that I can use it as hard drive with Last Word, can save text and print it out at a real printer. This works perfect. Loading files from the CF card works also fine with the U1MB loader. :-)

Many thanks for your help, Sleepy

No problem - I'm glad if I helped in some way. :)

I sat down last night and added the SIDE2 external cart as a separately detected device in UFLASH, but then abandoned everything I'd written, since presenting the flash ROM ("Entire ROM") entry as half its actual size (256KB instead of the whole 512KB) seemed confusing and counter-intuitive. So I'm inclined to stick to the idea that UFLASH should be run from SDX, with SDX booted from the SIDE2's ROM in those circumstances.

Yesterday evening, I wanted to play a little bit and put my Yoomp!-cart into the XEGS and noticed that it doesn´t boot from a normal game-cartridge anymore; before I installed the U1MB it did. Now, with a game-cart inserted, BASIC or SDX comes up, depending SDX/BASIC is enabled or not.

So I think that my installation of the U1MB is faulty; maybe I damaged a pad desoldering the MMU... This evening, I´ll check RD4 & RD5 from cartridge-port via MMU to U1MB and fix the failure.

Unfortunately, I didn´t test the upgrade with a normal game-cart; I thought when the SIDE / SIDE 2 works, installation is okay. Seems to be a mistake... Maybe that´s the reason for my problems flashing the SIDE 2, too.

Sleepy

Problem with non-starting game-cartridges solved!

Actual, ordinary and logical: The U1MB contains four OS: stock XL, stock XE, QMEG & a HighSpeed-OS. But for the XEGS, there is a different OS.

Flashed this OS into one of the U1MBs OS-slots, rename slot to "XEGS" et voilá, it works!

No faulty installation of hardware, no software-issue, just the wrong OS... :-D

If the wrong OS also causes the trouble updating SIDE 2 I can´t check; it´s en route to tf_hh.

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy
  • Like 3