IGNORED

Trying to build a project, need help

Thanks. I added in the first eraser. It doesn't do anything yet except move up and down. I don't know how many erasers will be in the final game, but judging from this, if I keep them this size there won't be very many. I also moved the screen down so there's black bars at the top as well as the bottom. I'm guessing from a post before mine that these won't be visible on a real TV. Which I'm wondering why Virtual Jaguar is showing them at all. Shouldn't an emulator emulate what it would look like on a real TV? The erasers will move randomly. I thought of a powerup: an ink blot. It will move randomly. If Stickman touches the ink blot, he will become invincible to the erasers for a few seconds. I think the score will be the number of seconds you survive. I don't know why the eraser starts at the top though even though I put it in the code to start at the middle of the screen. I wanted the erasers to come in from the sides, so I'm wondering why this is happening. I put in an initial x value of 148 in both rapinit.s and the code and a y value of 98 as well, so shouldn't that be the starting place?

http://www.atari2600land.com/stickman/stickman6.zip

• Like 3

Today's task: Make a game over screen. In order for this to appear, the eraser would need to be harmful. So after designing the Game over screen and making the eraser harmful, it looked as though I broke the game somehow. So I angrily went to rapinit.s and changed every background image to active. And voila, that seemed to have fixed it. I don't know why, but it did. So the eraser is harmful, there's a game over screen. Next up tomorrow: Composing in game and death music. I want to slowly do things here so I don't get burned out.

• Like 2

Today's task: Make a game over screen. In order for this to appear, the eraser would need to be harmful. So after designing the Game over screen and making the eraser harmful, it looked as though I broke the game somehow. So I angrily went to rapinit.s and changed every background image to active. And voila, that seemed to have fixed it. I don't know why, but it did. So the eraser is harmful, there's a game over screen. Next up tomorrow: Composing in game and death music. I want to slowly do things here so I don't get burned out.

Small tip: don't disable the first or last objects on the rapinit.s list. Just saying, in case that's what broke yours.

• Like 1

How do I stop a looping MOD from playing? For example, I want to end the music on game over and play a certain game over song from the beginning.

The Raptor Quick Reference shows you the commands for the player:

MODPLAY(mod_address) plays a .mod file at address "mod_address"

MODPLAY(0) stops .mod playing

Edited by Clint Thompson

But if I use MODPLAY(0)

and then MODPLAY((int)strptr(MOD_DEATH))

the Death mod doesn't start at the beginning. Is there a way to make it do so?

That's a bug in U235, it doesn't reset the module pointers. There's a RAPTOR command in the API to do this which hasn't made it's way into basic yet.

That's what I thought. So I had to find a workaround. So I decided to make the death music a .raw file instead of a .mod. It took a few hours of experimenting and anger, but I finally made the death sound work. I think that since if the game begins and doesn't reset to the starting point in a new .mod then I should just have the title screen music keep playing during the game. What do you think?

• 1 month later...

I'm working on this again. Got the erasers intro in, and there's now two of them. The other one comes after you get 10 points. I also made the score go up. It took a while to do these things. It took a while to get the erasers' y positions be random at the beginning when they slide on screen. I don't know why, or what I did differently to make it work, though. I couldn't sleep, so I decided "Why not work on that Jaguar game I was working on?"

• Like 5

Added some ingame music. Link is in my signature. I also added a zip file containing only the ROM file. And can someone PLEASE try to fix the mod file playing problem? It's kind of hard to make a decent game if the mod file doesn't reset when the game ends.

I'm working on a fix for this. Some patience please...

Added some ingame music. Link is in my signature. I also added a zip file containing only the ROM file. And can someone PLEASE try to fix the mod file playing problem? It's kind of hard to make a decent game if the mod file doesn't reset when the game ends.

I've had to deal with similar issues on a different platform. My solution at the time was to create an empty music file and "play" that to stop the current song. Hopefully that inspires some ideas.