IGNORED

Joystick for Intellivision?

Denicio

No, the ones I had really did just look like oversized black chess pawns. They were simple to attach but in the heat of a tense game they could peel off the disc :-). A disc replacement would be better, but as a kid I never would have dreamed of dismantling my controllers!

Going from memory here, but i recall mine also being black chess pawn in nature. But they did not have any adhesive. I remember playing them as a 12 year old and pushing too hard to the left or right and it popping out. I cant recall if i had to take the controller apart to install them. I just remember how easily they came out of the controller with aggressive joysticking. I 'want' to say they fit over the disk in a cone fashion which left room for the disk and allowed a joystick to be mounted.

I'm 47 now so i am having a hard time remembering details from so many years ago.

Since I bought an Intellivision Flashback unit just for the controllers maybe I would be willing now to brave taking them apart and trying out a joystick mod. The one that looks like a 2600 stick might work. I had a very specific method of holding a joystick in those days (thumb on top for precise control) which is why I got the giant chess pawn thingie. Hm... maybe I can find an oversized chess set and gorilla glue a pawn to the pads :-)

Since I bought an Intellivision Flashback unit just for the controllers maybe I would be willing now to brave taking them apart and trying out a joystick mod. The one that looks like a 2600 stick might work. I had a very specific method of holding a joystick in those days (thumb on top for precise control) which is why I got the giant chess pawn thingie. Hm... maybe I can find an oversized chess set and gorilla glue a pawn to the pads :-)

You kid but the Chess Pawn/Gorilla Glue is not a bad idea at all! I too got a flashback console. heck i might aquire another one to try out this Chess Pawn Mod! If it works it could be called the "Snarfo Joystick Mod"!

I am not ribbing you at all........i think its actually a good idea.........unless others here have some reason it might not function properly...mechanically speaking.

More i think about it the less i'd use the pawn and most likely opt for the ROOK!

These are why I'm thinking of getting a 3D Printer. I'd love to create an disc replacement with a disc with a "modest" stick or one with screws to allow different types of sticks or enhanced disc tools. (Like the Emerson Arcadia )

These are why I'm thinking of getting a 3D Printer. I'd love to create an disc replacement with a disc with a "modest" stick or one with screws to allow different types of sticks or enhanced disc tools. (Like the Emerson Arcadia )

Now this is just plain evil thinking....and almost a dare!

For now i will go with the Chess Piece mod and see where that takes me.

If a member here has access to a 3D printer...that could be huge for us nerds.

• Like 1

Sign me up for a 3-d printed mod! The bottom of the stick flared out to fully cover the disc and give the maximum gripping surface area. A quick Google search for oversized chess pieces yielded some cool results, especially the glass ones which look amazing. The rook idea is great since there would be a concave surface to cup the thumb! What's the worst thing that could happen?

Edited by snarfo
  • Like 1

Sign me up for a 3-d printed mod! The bottom of the stick flared out to fully cover the disc and give the maximum gripping surface area. A quick Google search for oversized chess pieces yielded some cool results, especially the glass ones which look amazing. The room idea is great since there would be a concave surface to cup the thumb! What's the worst thing that could happen?

Smart money would be to find someone who has one and loves 3D printing and a challenge! Send them a Flashback controller to use and abuse in order to create a working disc replacement.

Once this guy/gal got the joystick correct get them to make 10-30 sticks.

Its more than just owning a printer but also knowing how to use 3D design software in a way that you could design a stick that works.

At the moment i am going with a Bishop Glued to a Flashback controller because i know no one with a 3d printer.

Just as an FYI, somebody tried a Stickler with the Flashback controllers and the disc is slightly larger which caused the Stickler to pop out.

That said, going with the chess pawn + gorilla glue (or maybe an epoxy) is a great idea.

Just as an FYI, somebody tried a Stickler with the Flashback controllers and the disc is slightly larger which caused the Stickler to pop out.

That said, going with the chess pawn + gorilla glue (or maybe an epoxy) is a great idea.

Chess Pawn option begs the question.....the disc on the flashback consoles. Is the gold top a sticker? If so then its probably best to remove it first before applying the glue and pawn.

Can anyone comment if the disc has a gold sticker on top?

I have about four extra Sears controllers that came with those. Plus a couple of CIB / NIB units.

I have a friend with a 3D printer. I think I would shoot for the regular controller first.

That said: If the chess pawn is hollow, take a Stickler and cut off enough to fit inside the pawn...and glue.

For those wondering what the Stickler looks like, here is one set that is CIB.

attachicon.gif12383361_220774798303022_55239857_n.jpg

However, they are far easier to find on eBay already installed in an Intellivision unit.

attachicon.gifpost-23487-129522447851.jpg

My mind wandered at lunch today dreaming of the Chess Pawn possibilities....and then i laughed at myself thinking "I can see future threads on the Intellivision forum about WHICH chess piece is the best for this mod or which chess set?".

Beta vs VHS

Atari vs Intellivision

Parker Bro's Chess set vs Milton Bradley Chess set

I do 'think' the right chess piece WILL be the answer to the joystick situation i have with the wife. Dirt cheap solution too!

I'll comment that it certainly seems like a gold sticker that will need to be peeled off first.

Thanks, thats what i thought. But i also recall truly abusing my system growing up and the gold dial stayed 100% minty, so i was unsure.

Kudo's to the engineers that spec'd that sticker out!

Thanks, thats what i thought. But i also recall truly abusing my system growing up and the gold dial stayed 100% minty, so i was unsure.

Kudo's to the engineers that spec'd that sticker out!

Just to be clear, I was only referring to the Flashback's disc being a sticker. The original Intellivision's disc has a well-bonded later of plastic.

This looks interesting.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Joystick-Adapter-fur-Intellivision-1-oder-2-Sears-Super-Video-Arcade-/252711483831?hash=item3ad6c739b7:g:d1EAAOSw7ThUj1Mh

Particularly this bit

"For Intellivision 1 is a modification of the console is required (since it has no joystick ports)."

Google doesn't throw up many suggestions. Would love to know what modification the seller means.

This looks interesting.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Joystick-Adapter-fur-Intellivision-1-oder-2-Sears-Super-Video-Arcade-/252711483831?hash=item3ad6c739b7:g:d1EAAOSw7ThUj1Mh

Particularly this bit

"For Intellivision 1 is a modification of the console is required (since it has no joystick ports)."

Google doesn't throw up many suggestions. Would love to know what modification the seller means.

The original intellivision doesnt have de-9 controller ports like the intellivision ii or sears intellivision. That is the modification they mean. Just a simple connector.

I'm fully aware the Intellivision doesn't have any 9-pin ports, I have a mark 1 Intellivision here.

What I was wondering was if there was a mod out there where some clever chap found a way to add ports via a hardware mod, or something.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/219891-best-controller-port-location-on-2609/

I'm fully aware the Intellivision doesn't have any 9-pin ports, I have a mark 1 Intellivision here.

What I was wondering was if there was a mod out there where some clever chap found a way to add ports via a hardware mod, or something.

You can ask atariage user nurmix to make a small cable that you can plug into an original Intellivision controller port (remove cover to access). Or find the parts and make one.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/237113-intellivision-flashback-controller-adapters-round-2/

Edit: Make sure it is standard intellivision DE-9 and not intellivision flashback DE-9.

Edited by mr_me