IGNORED

Joystick for Intellivision?

Denicio

Now the thumb saver pads crack me up! I played a ton of Intellivision and never experienced thumb soreness.

My thumb tips used to get sore and recently got sore for days during the Frog Bog competition. Not only that, but I used to get blisters on top of my thumb's joint (the one closest to the the thumbnail). In spite of this, I kept playing the Intellivision when I visited my grandfather's place.

Those are extremely rare, but I believe they did work good.

Are you talking about the Atari Fyre-ball or the Intellivision Quik-fire side button attachment?

My thumb tips used to get sore and recently got sore for days during the Frog Bog competition. Not only that, but I used to get blisters on top of my thumb's joint (the one closest to the the thumbnail). In spite of this, I kept playing the Intellivision when I visited my grandfather's place.

If that's your disc thumb you're pressing too hard. If it's your thumb on the side buttons it could happen. Edited by mr_me

Just for those who are interested, here are 5 different joystick upgrades from back-in-the-day. Yes, the Controller, Stickler, and Distick have similar but different plastic molds. Also, that is the Skil-Stik that stupus mentioned.

2017-02-09 21.58.41.jpg

When I was a kid, I had something like those "Skil-Stiks," and I have to say that they were absolute crap. I later ripped them out, to the detriment of the disc covers.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just for those who are interested, here are 5 different joystick upgrades from back-in-the-day. Yes, the Controller, Stickler, and Distick have similar but different plastic molds. Also, that is the Skil-Stik that stupus mentioned.

attachicon.gif2017-02-09 21.58.41.jpg

Never saw the "Thumb Saver". I have all the others. I wish Amiga had released their joystick to the Intellivision. Could the Coleco one be rewired?

• 1 month later...

I saw an alterantive for INTV controllers. There is a $10 DIY, or $20 pre made kit, where you can attach a Sega Genesis pad (or joystick I assume) and play. There is a iINTV controller port input for ypying in ketys, but the 3 buttons andf joypad can use Your choice of a Genesis or Jaguar controller. At this website: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/279920-controller-adapters-to-use-jaguar-or-genesis-controller-on-intellivision/?hl=%2Bintellivision+%2Bjaguar&do=findComment&comment=4111772

I'm interested in getting my right handed PS2 joystick, which I can adapt into a Sega Genesis with a Tototek adapter, and then plug THAT into the Genesis->INTV adapter.

Only two problems, the controller doesn't do 16 ways and only does 8 ways. For most games that is not much of a sacrifice. I think the only game I know of that REQUIRES 16 ways or is rendered unplayable is Vectron. Some sports games might make you lose a little more precise control, but I don't know it f that renders it unplayable. Auto racing is considered analog steering on the "new harder" version, and that's 16 ways. Any other games that don't work with just 8 ways?

The other problem is that I had my INTV 1 Flashback-Modded. I was doing it in anticipation of adding a fight stick to my INTV. And An INTV 1 machine is necessary, because I have some Coleco games that don't work on an INTV 2. The problem is that these adapter circuits are designed to work with INTV 2s, and neither INTV 1s nor INTV FBs. What would be the easiest route? 2x INTV 2 controller -> INTV 1 machine adapters and 2x INTV FB-> 2 adapters to work with my FB controllers , or adding 2X INTV 2-> INTV FB and a 2X INTV FB-> INTV 2 adapter for each controller. I guess I would prefer the first option so I can sell the 2 INTV FB -> INTV 1 adapters to someone on Ebay. Either way I have to buy 4 adapters, I'll have 2 adapters to sell if we go the first route. I guess it depends on what's cheaper INTV 1-> INTV 2 adapters, or INTV 2-> INTV FB adapters, and how much I can get for INTV FB-> 1 adapters.

Can nurmix make any combination from any one of the 3 INTV types to any of the other 2 that isn't the first? I assume that works because it's a simple pin rerouting adapter with no circuity or other electronics. I found something else of use that just needs a simple 9-pin rerouting adapter with no other lectronics.

It's an Atari Joystick -> astrocade system adapter. I'm hoping it can work on a Genesis and convert THAT to Astrocade. As I said, I don't need the paddle. If I need the paddle, or the Paddle + Joystick, I'll use a genuine Astrocade controller. This is for games that are real tiring with a genuine controller, link S[ace Fortress. If you've ever played Space Fortress the constant trigger squeezing fatigues your hand.

During my original Intellivision days I bought a couple joysticks for cheap. It's been too long to remember the company, but the stick looked like a giant chess pawn that stuck to the disc. Simple solution and it improved my control comfort and accuracy immensely. Wish I could find those now...

if you mean the on on the left

http://www.intellivisionworld.com/English/Hardware/Accessories.html

I have that but I found it impossible to use

I had one like the one on the right. I was CRAZY excited to use it. THEN............the real world set in. That sucka would NEVER stay mounted. It would pop out with minimal pressure.

As a mechanically minded adult...i know why. The Intellivision hand controller was never designed to have a joystick. The 'lip' area used in the disc location was too narrow. Any amount of pressure would have that popping out. Combine that with a 12 year old trying to set high scores on Astrosmash.....forgettaboutit !!!!!

After a weekend of struggling with the stick upgrades....they were to remain at the bottom of the Intellivision box for years....until mom sold my system and collection for 5 bux at a garage sale...but thats a story for another time...............sigh~

D

• 4 months later...

I got a couple of those on the left. I can't figure out how they are supposed to stay on the controller even. I feel like there must be a second piece for the bottom to hold them in place or I have to use a rubber band or something. They seem to big for the controller.

• 1 month later...