IGNORED

233-In-1 Multicart thoughts

metarog

I just got mine in, played several of the games and it seems to work flawlessly. This really breathes new life into the old O2 as although I have a complete US set I now get to play all the European and Brazilian exclusives and several early Homebrews to boot!

I just wanted to see what others think of it and what games they "discovered" on it. Also my switches seem kind of stiff-is that normal? This took 6 months to get so I really want to be careful and not break anything.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You have to be patient with the seller as there is a backlog and he makes them one at a time. My copy took six months to arrive but he doesn't charge you until it is ready to ship.

He is not even taking orders until next month so I wouldn't expect receiving it until the fall. It is worth it though as for $40 you receive an incredible a amount of games in one convenient cart.

• Like 1

I enjoy this multicart. Although it seems like a chore to change the games with the dip switches. I use a small flat head screwdriver to change the switch position. I mostly use it to check out import games.

Hi Mark, I was using a small flathead also but since those switches are so small and made out of hard plastic (at least I think they are) I was afraid they would snap off especially as some take a bit of force to move. Currently, I am using the hollow end of a plastic q-tip so it fits snugly over the switch tab and using that to move them up and down. It seems to require less force and since it is a softer plastic I am less worried about breakage.

I am probably too much of a worry wart but I am using this as my main O2 playing cart so I want to lessen the wear and tear on it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As has been pointed out, using the hollow end of something like a 'click' pen works great for moving the switches (I use a pen all the time). This causes little wear, and the switches should last a long time.

(As for the Packrat backlog, it is still about 6 months at this time, but I plan to try to shrink that soon).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mika73, Dip switch carts are much easier to build than Menu driven ones, and a lot cheaper too (I know as I've seen the parts list for mine and the Game Selector — a lot different).

I prefer Menu myself, but take what I can get for various systems I'm into.

I think the forum to watch for O2 stuff is this one: http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php

Various versions of a menu driven multi cart have been made but at the moment, all sold out it seems. The latest version, the C7051, appears to have recently 'sold out again' (http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=2492.30) so perhaps there will be another run at some point. The person reach out to there is Rene_7400.

• 2 months later...

I have both the 233-1 multicart and Rene's C7051 recorder cartridge and I love them both.

The multi cart you don't have to chase down the rom file and just flick some DIP switches to get to game. The disadvantage is you cannot add new game. Price is a lot less than recorder cart also.

Switch is vey durable and should the odd chance that you break it it is common part and easy to replace.

Recorder cart holds 31 binary files and must be hooked up to PC to load files and edit title name. It is menu driven and easy to go to other games.

If this is your first cart, I would go with 233-1 multicart from Dave (PackRat)

• 1 year later...

I sent an email to packrat about one of these. Per his site is looks like they are sold out and possibly not making anymore while he might do a revision sometime in 2018.

Anyone know where I can find one of these or if anyone on here had one for sale?

• 4 years later...

Thread necro...
Funny, 

I just re-setup some of my machines downstairs.  Several years ago, we had a fridge leak that flooded a downstairs room.  Nothing electronic damaged, but had to box everything up to prep for all the work.  Didn't get around to resetting up everything, including my O2, till today.

Got it all reconnected, found the multicart, plugged it in, turned it all on and...

er...  That didn't look right.  Garbled graphics!  Oh no!  My O2 is broken!!!  ;-)
Well, of course, that wasn't it...
The DIP switches got messed up, and this cart is VERY particular with it's DIP switch settings...

Luckily, I had the manual for the multicart not too far away...

Important to remember that with this multicart, the first bank of dipswitches is super important!!!  ;-) and needs to be what the game selected by the second bank is expecting.

• Like 2