IGNORED

BASIC 10Liners 2017

Bunsen

ok, try this version. It is easier to differentiate between the head-level missiles and the mid-level missiles now.

attachicon.gifMANUP.atr

Thank you, it's better, but I'm still bad at saying to my hand that when the missile is going high, move the joystick down, not up! :ponder:

Looking for a paddle game, eh? Have you tried Rain of Terror? ;)

Yes, I tried it in Altirra when you published it, but I couldn't finish the 1st mission using the mouse. I've just tried again in a real Atari with a real paddle, and it feels like if it was another game!!! Much better... Anyway, I guess I must get used to the angles to succeed.

• Like 2

go for extreme - looks like the competition in this category is not as fierce.

I've just sent Space Ranger to Gunnar for the EXTREM-256 category.

It looks like this:

post-20192-0-77476000-1489368660_thumb.png

I didn't add more enemies in the screen at the same time as in Interceptor, but I included the radar and some other features I'll keep in secret 'til the contest.

@jeffpiep: I'm waiting for your paddle game ;)

• Like 11

Here it is. https://github.com/jeffpiep/ShieldUp. https://github.com/jeffpiep/ShieldUp/raw/master/shieldup.atr

I submitted to PUR-120.

I can almost get past Level 3. If you play it on real hardware, please let me know how it works. I suspect the paddle range needs to be narrowed up.

Hi! I was out of the city for the weekend, and I only wanted to return soon to test it when I read the notification from this thread, but I couldn't 'til now. I couldn't pass the 3rd level using the touchpad of my notebook with Altirra. I have no chances to try it with real hardware at this time, I think I'll try it tomorrow or the day after and the I'll tell you about the fine tunning. Anyway, I liked what I saw. Thanks!

I was thinking about another paddle game using 2 paddles at the same time to emulate that old red toy with a grey screen and two knobs to draw a picture with a continuous line and that could be shaked to clean the drawing and start again. I couldn't remember it's name so I googled using some words from this paragraph and I found it... It was "Etch-a-Sketch". As that name was somehow strange but familiar, I went to the contest's listing and found that entry #12 for MSX had the exact name. But it seems to be played with a joystick, as there are only horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines in the screenshot. Should I tried it with paddles anyway?

BTW, while I was checking the list of entries, I found entry #38 by Bill Kendrick. @Bunsen: Why is Piecht10 in WILD category?

• Like 1

ok, try this version. It is easier to differentiate between the head-level missiles and the mid-level missiles now.

attachicon.gifMANUP.atr

Looking for a paddle game, eh? Have you tried Rain of Terror? ;)

I sent Bunsen my final version of Man Up for the basic ten-liners. In the end I was able to get it squeezed into the PUR-80 category. :-D

• Like 5

I am officially re-submitting DESCEND, in the 80 column category instead of 120.

I incorporated vitoco's suggestions, then made it so the game gets faster as you move down, plus some internal changes. The game is now smoother, faster, harder, and smaller than before.

http://atariaction.tumblr.com/post/158768277282/descend-update

-Kevin

post-803-0-87362200-1490333690_thumb.png

Kevin, I did small changes to your code and now it fits PUR-80 category. :-D

attachicon.gifDESCEND2.LST.PNG

I just changed some IF-ENDIF into expressions to control variable's limits, renamed the variables to only 1 letter, changed the screen's scroll FOR-NEXT loop with a single MOVE and sort some statements to fit the 80 columns width. As there was a speed improvement, I had to add a PAUSE to preserve the original speed of the game, but I think there is enough room to make the game faster once you are in the narrowest "kavern".

DESCEND2.atr

Edited by Savetz
  • Like 8

Here it is. https://github.com/jeffpiep/ShieldUp. https://github.com/jeffpiep/ShieldUp/raw/master/shieldup.atr

I submitted to PUR-120.

I can almost get past Level 3. If you play it on real hardware, please let me know how it works. I suspect the paddle range needs to be narrowed up.

I've just tried it in real hardware: Atari 800XL PAL with paddles. It felt easier than using a mouse or a touchpad in the PC with Altirra. Previously, I couldn't finish stage 3, but with a paddle my score was 10/25 in level 4 at the first try, and 20/25 at the second one. Sometimes was hard to see where are the missiles camming from, because my portable 7" LCD display has less resolution than the Atari, and it discards a line every a couple of them, so some missiles were slimmer than normal at some positions of the screen.

About the paddle range, my PADDLE(0) goes from 0.5 (unstable between 0 and 1) at one side to 228 at about 2/3 of the way (and stucks at 228 for the rest of the turn). Anyway, I could block the missiles that started from the bottom at both sides.

Sorry for the delay!!!

• Like 1

I was thinking about another paddle game using 2 paddles at the same time to emulate that old red toy with a grey screen and two knobs to draw a picture with a continuous line and that could be shaked to clean the drawing and start again. I couldn't remember it's name so I googled using some words from this paragraph and I found it... It was "Etch-a-Sketch". As that name was somehow strange but familiar, I went to the contest's listing and found that entry #12 for MSX had the exact name. But it seems to be played with a joystick, as there are only horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines in the screenshot. Should I tried it with paddles anyway?

Well, I did it... :-D

post-20192-0-53411100-1491424428_thumb.png

I've sent Sketch-PadDles to Bunsen for PUR-80 category.

It can be downloaded through it page: Sketch-PadDles

Try it with real paddles!!!

• Like 7

Greetings super 10 line BASIC programmers! :) Lots of awesome looking games again this year! :)

Here's my entry for the Atari 2600 in the PUR-80 Category this time using Atari Flashback BASIC which is compatible with Atari vwBASIC for the SuperCharger, the two cross compilers are linked in my signature. I am working on a 3rd cross compiler for the Atari 8-bit and 5200 also, hopefully it will be finished in time for next years contest!

post-30777-0-79265700-1491498714_thumb.jpg

Click to try TronOnePlayer online in the new Javatari Emulator!

Tron one player is a colorful tile mapped light cycle game that takes place on a game grid 10x larger than your Television screen!

Tron has already defeated Sark and is tearing up the virtual world, you can go off the game grid but things may not be entirely visible and your chances of crashing increase the longer you stay there; you can also blow up the system RAM and crash in spectacular fashion.

The game ends (purple screens) when you crash into your own lightcycle trail, or into system memory (travel too far to the left or above). How long can you stay alive? Watch the clock for high score or check your Atari wrist computer!

The soundscapes change depending upon how long you hold the stick in a given direction, light taps will play crescendos and mini tunes whilst holding it will yield other interesting familiar logarythmic sounds.

Here is the game listing with big constants and plenty of white space:

0 if g=0 then g=1:for x=18 to 239:virtualworld(x)=0:next x else f=f+1:goto 2
1 for x=0 to 9:g=g+10:virtualworld(x)=g:next x: x=10:y=5:h=1: rem (dir right)
2 if f<4 then scrollvirtualworldtoggle=0:return else scrollvirtualworldtoggle=1
3 if joy0left=1 then e=1:h=0:i=0:j=0:AUDC0=8:AUDF0=BITIndex:SUSTAINFORFRAMES=15
4 if joy0right=1 then h=1:e=0:i=0:j=0:AUDC0=6:AUDF0=BITIndex:SUSTAINFORFRAMES=15
5 if joy0down=1 then i=12:e=0:h=0:j=0:AUDF0=11:AUDC0=BITIndex:SUSTAINFORFRAMES=15
6 if joy0up=1 then j=12:i=0:e=0:h=0:AUDC0=3:AUDF0=BITIndex*2:SUSTAINFORFRAMES=15
7 x=x-e:x=x+h:l=i/12:y=y+l:l=j/12:y=y-l:BYTErowoffset=BYTErowoffset+i:rem TRON!!
8 BITIndex=BITIndex-e:BITIndex=BITIndex+h:BYTErowoffset=BYTErowoffset-j:f=0
9 if vwpixel(x,y,on)>0 then COLUBK=100:SUSTAINFORFRAMES=100:goto 6 else return

OnePlayerTron.txt

TronOnePlayer.bin

Note: In the attached listing there are some data statements present that do not affect the game, they can be removed and both compilers will still compile the game for the Atari 2600, however they are necessary to play it on the new Atari 2600 Portable console because that console does not recognize small programs (the text is just motivational text to encourage programming games in BASIC!)

Hope everyone enjoys! :)

• Like 5

Just resubmitted TronOnePlayer with improved sound and less code!

Just a week left until the contest deadline - hoping to inspire some of the awesome BASIC programmers in this contest to try writing a game with Flashback BASIC for the Atari 2600 - here is a descriptive educational page with a long version and details about writing the game along with several Atari games and a display list demo that you can play right in your browser with the new Javatari emulator! :)

TronOnePlayer is the Tron icon and WARPDRIVE (the game portion) was my entry into the PUR-120 category last year:

post-30777-0-60481100-1491932862_thumb.jpg

Also Flashback BASIC is in development for the 5200/8-bit as a cross compatible BASIC - would you use a BASIC like this on the 5200? How about the 8-bit where there are already so many choices?

OnePlayerTron.txtOnePlayerTronLongVersion.txtTronOnePlayer.bin

• Like 2

I am truly delighted with what is being done within the confines of the basic languages and in such a limited space! This is as close to what it was like to fit what you could into some of the original 2600 and 800 cartridge and ram space. To imagine new people and ideas entering into this realm is indeed heartening. Keep at it!

Being an avid fan of the beloved Atari platform (a true bias on many levels for so many reasons)... I would love to see the catalog of 10 liners in all their forms ported to their best fit on the Atari 800 and 2600 platforms. Not just because our community can, but because it would be great fun to see!

The skill and care taken to produce such fine code is testament to not only the coders but the hardware with the tenacity of both to forge ahead together, now, and into the future. Impressive! Just Impressive.

_T D_

_B T A__

_T R W__

_C A__

One of the characters in the screenshot of Streamweaver remembered me the dancing flowers in a game I wrote in 1984 called "Oruga". This is a screenshot of it:

post-20192-0-52713800-1492216820_thumb.png

It is like the "Snake" game from the Nokia 3310 cellphone.

As I was writing 10-liner versions from my old games (Surround was a remake of my "Babosa" based on 2600's Surround), I wrote a remake of "Oruga":

post-20192-0-18562700-1492217034_thumb.png

I've sent it to Bunsen and he published it as the entry #63 of the contest for PUR-80 category.

• Like 3

Also Flashback BASIC is in development for the 5200/8-bit as a cross compatible BASIC - would you use a BASIC like this on the 5200? How about the 8-bit where there are already so many choices?

Excellent news.

We already have many Basics but the missing features for people that don't like machine language are:

- simple sprites movement and shape change

- synchronous sprites movement, to everlap sprites and get third color

- virtual sprites, 2600 batariBasic like

- simple DLI, to get more colors

- simple RMT tunes loading

- simple screen loading/storage, batariBasic like.

• Like 1

Excellent news.

We already have many Basics but the missing features for people that don't like machine language are:

- simple sprites movement and shape change

- synchronous sprites movement, to everlap sprites and get third color

- virtual sprites, 2600 batariBasic like

- simple DLI, to get more colors

- simple RMT tunes loading

- simple screen loading/storage, batariBasic like.

Very cool, that is pretty much the featureset for Flashback BASIC plus the playfield camera for panning about the virtual world.

I'm hosting a Tron One Player survival contest online with Javatari, the new browser based emulator if anyone wants to check it out and compete! :)

I got about 40 seconds...

• Like 2

I just uploaded a video for "StreamWeaver:HEAD2HEAD".

This is a 2-player split-screen version of StreamWeaver which qualifies for PUR-120 category in the basic 10-liners.

https://youtu.be/1yuYPaB_lZ0

Sorry the "competition" in the example sucks so bad, it's because I was trying to play both players myself during video capture, which turns out to be quite challenging! :)

-Eric

Edited by erichenneke
  • Like 3