IGNORED

Interview with Jennell Jaguays (the Director of Game Design at Coleco)

LoTonah

Interesting interview from a Coleco insider. Thanks for sharing. The tidbit that interested me was her comments on Destructor being worked on a long time and still being shipped out as basically as a prototype. I had an Adam in the 80s and also the driving wheel. I loved Turbo with it and had high hopes for Destructor but was very disappointed with it. I wasn't the only one as I saw some reviewers give it an F. Fast forward to now and thanks to whomever made it playable with a standard controller and it's a new game completely playable and actually fun. It's still not a great game but I'd give it a solid B especially as a unique Colecovision game. I actually like the sounds and play-ability now. Thanks also to those that made titles like Turbo, Slither, Victory, Front Line, and others I can't think of right now, playable with the standard controllers.

Daniel Bienvenu (aka NewColeco) is the man responsible for all the hacks of games that required one of the special controllers to using the standard hand controller.

Although I think Opcode or Mystery Man did Front Line for the Team Pixelboy release.

Edited by NIAD

Daniel Bienvenu (aka NewColeco) is the man responsible for all the hacks of games that required one of the special controllers to using the standard hand controller.

Although I think Opcode or Mystery Man did Front Line for the Team Pixelboy release.

Destructor SCE was a hack done by Stephen Seehorn, newcoleco's hack of Destructor didn't work the same way. Front Line SCE was indeed a hack by Eduardo Mello.

Thanks for sharing this -- I can never get enough about Coleco and hearing from people who worked there.

I should probably ask Daniel as well (I haven't finished his book yet), but does anyone know whatever happened to the Coleco corporate archives? It would be fascinating to have access to that in terms of game development, advertising, etc.