IGNORED

Can anyone school me on purchasing a DreamCast console?

courtesi96

My understanding is you remove the GDROM drive, throw in a custom SD adapter module in, and then with I think a custom BIOS attached you can then file surf and just throw whatever ISO you want at it much like an everdrive for a cart system.

I guess I'm old school, but I'd rather have nothing to do with it. I read up on it, then went and bought a few more discs as I'd rather have the value of money into a game as a reason to use it, then digital vapor I'll tire of almost instantly because with no loss ($) there's no cares.

I feel "wrong" using an SD adapter in the Dreamcast; I never even liked using a boot disc and playing burned games. It's got nothing to do with "piracy" or anything, I just somehow love the feel of actual games on the Dreamcast. I don't feel that way about every system, but it might be related to whether or not I used/owned a system when it was current. (Though maybe not; I do use an SD card reader with my Apple II, and I grew up with that.)

The DC to me is just really collectible, but I guess everybody has systems they collect for and others they don't. I don't begrudge those who do use SD card adapters for any system, I just like the experience of buying and then taking home an actual DC game (or getting it in the mail) and then playing it, like in the old days.

• Like 1

I didn't know they got far enough to jack a SD card module externally to it. That would be useful at least for stuff that would otherwise require a boot disc at the least (JP/EU stuff) if not a burn (Propeller Arena/Half Life, the Quake1 Titanium Studios frontend.) But like space cadet said and I did less so before, it just isn't the same, doesn't feel right going that route. I'd probably be more inclined to feel that way if any of the B and A tier games got grubby disgustingly price scalped like any decent SCD/Saturn game does into the 100s.

It shouldn't be necessary unless something is wrong; you just have to leave the system on for awhile and the battery is charged. Then, you just have to keep using the Dreamcast semi regularly to keep it charged.

Yes if the battery isn't shot, but an increasing amount of them now are in fact dead. Mine was. I left it on for over 2 hours to test it before I went the replacement route. It didn't even give a charge for the 10seconds I flipped it off to see if it was still living.

Edited by Tanooki

As far as other titles that "speak" to me, I went back through the aforementioned lists and came up empty. Yes there are a lot of good games but my tastes have changed over time. Also these days I've got a bit of obsessive decluttering going on. I think when all is said and done I may wind up with a total of 20 games across 10+ consoles. :D

It sounds like you might be better off just going pure emulation, to avoid the cost/clutter of so many systems for so few games. I'm sure the Keatah-senses will start tingling and he'll pop up to offer you advice if you want it. ;)

I just picked up Crazy Taxi to see what the rage is all about.

I love that game. Not something I would've bothered with normally, but the kid I used to babysit back in the day had a copy for his PS2, and I ended up really enjoying it.

Are you ready to make some crazy money? Here we Go YA YA YA YA YAH

• Like 1

If you find someone to set it up for you as it can get somewhat technically tricky at points, get a Pi3 box setup and have retropie already configured on it. While that may not likely handle Dreamcast well(not sure? not looked...) it can do a lot of systems perfectly and fits into the size of a box maybe as big as a couple of iphones sitting on top of each other. No mess, few wires, it's wireless for the net/controllers, just needs a SD card to load up with goodies and you're pretty well set.

I've given this some thought and have decided that I will download an emulator and attempt to run Armada under it. I will probably do this for other consoles as well.

In my life right now I'm somewhere between non-gamer and casual gamer. It's not that I don't like picking up a game now and again I just have a razor sharp focus on what I want to play. Yes the DC has a huge number of hits - no doubt about that - I just have no desire to play them.

Along with the games I also enjoy having the artwork and instructions so I will definitely be picking up physical copies for the few games I own/emulate.

• Like 2

I love that game. Not something I would've bothered with normally, but the kid I used to babysit back in the day had a copy for his PS2, and I ended up really enjoying it.

I never could get the more advanced moves to work on any console but the Dreamcast. There are a couple of moves where you have to kind of roll your thumb over two buttons simultaneously while pulling the trigger; either they adjusted the timing on the other consoles to the point that it messed me up, or they didn't and they should have (for the difference in controllers).

This is really making me want to play this game tonight. I do have my DC hooked up and ready to go at all times.

Edited by spacecadet

I think you're talking about a pop start kind of move going between reverse and then forward and gas about the same time, it causes a huge wild brief burst of speed. If you can get it down and use it well, it's pretty good for shaving off time, but also for navigating narrower angles around cars and stuff as it'll shoot you right in the direction you're aiming. I forgot the motions, but I had them down back then and they did apply to the arcade cabinet as well so it had to be intentional (or accidental and left in as people liked it.)

I think you're talking about a pop start kind of move going between reverse and then forward and gas about the same time, it causes a huge wild brief burst of speed.

That was one of them, and then there's another move where you can spin out into a parking spot. These moves have names but I can't remember them now. I was pretty good at using them on the DC - I'd always spin into the parking spot so I'd be pointed in the direction I wanted to go out of it, and then I'd use that pop start move from a stop to be at max speed immediately, and I'd use it over and over all the way to the next destination.

I could never really get anything to work on other systems. Did they still work on PS2 and Xbox?

That was one of them, and then there's another move where you can spin out into a parking spot. These moves have names but I can't remember them now. I was pretty good at using them on the DC - I'd always spin into the parking spot so I'd be pointed in the direction I wanted to go out of it, and then I'd use that pop start move from a stop to be at max speed immediately, and I'd use it over and over all the way to the next destination.

post-2410-0-92552000-1486069452_thumb.png

That's the basic stuff in the manual, but there were some other techniques that weren't. I looked up the FAQ just now and found them:

* Limit Cut: At a straight line, release both pedals and then do a
quick R~D~Accel On. This only works if your car is at max speed.
More on this as we progress.
* Stop At A Dime: Do a Crazy Drift and then release the pedal. Do a
quick R~Brake. Possibly the most difficult technique to master.
You could always tell who was a real Crazy Taxi master by whether or not someone was using these techniques (and how well they were using them). I used to be pretty good with them, but only on DC. I doubt I'd still have the feel for doing, them, though - they do take practice. I plan to try tonight.
Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

One thing I'll note is that if a game came out for the DC first and might be a classic to some it still might be honestly better on another console. Skies of Arcadia is one for me. I owned both and the GCN version was much more enjoyable than the DC one in part because the random battles were dialed back and the GCN is quieter, meaning my ears weren't assaulted by the grinding drive every few steps before the swirl. I also prefer the Sonic games on GCN because, in my opinion, the analogue stick on the GCN is better (some love the DC controller, I simply like it a bit). I disliked them on the PS3 for a similar reason. I hate the lack of resistance of those dual sticks.

As far as the internal battery goes, I'm not sure if any games use it, maybe Shenmue does for time of day? But I usually just leave mine in 9.9.1999 so my DC doesn't know its dead. ;-p

An aside, last I checked you can still get chu chu rocket sealed on Amazon for like 10 bucks or something. As someone that owned the DC in the first year it was out that was a cool experience to open. The game is also pretty cool alone and can be really cool in a party setting if you like puzzly games.

I have two and I'm really interested in the various image loading mechanisms out there. I have just been too lazy to explore any and just want something easy.

I know you'll chuckle especially since it doesn't fall into anyone's Top 50 lists (and in some cases is at the back of the bus on the Top 200's):

The game title in question is Armada.

I do want to state that I'm not excited about the standard DC controller and don't think this title will work with the alternative "pad" controllers; but I can manage.

As far as other titles that "speak" to me, I went back through the aforementioned lists and came up empty. Yes there are a lot of good games but my tastes have changed over time. Also these days I've got a bit of obsessive decluttering going on. I think when all is said and done I may wind up with a total of 20 games across 10+ consoles. :D

If you have a decent PC, you should check this out:

http://www.armada-online.com/

I personally never got around playing it since Elite Dangerous sucked me in.

Armada for the Dreamcast is one of my favorite games for the system. I played it years ago with two friends, and it was something we could sink a lot of time into. Some people really don't like it for some reason. It's different since it originally was going to be like a MMO. I'd still get a Dreamcast and a Raspberry Pi to play games online if I were you. It's a great system and my favorite Sega system with a lot of unique games. Lots of people love the system.

If you have a decent PC, you should check this out:

http://www.armada-online.com/

I recall seeing this years ago is it really even supported anymore? It seemed like a nice idea but I think it had some heavier requirements back then that shouldn't be a problem now. Watching the video I can see some nice improvements like being able to fly by stuff and take shots while evading, not just run in and out while being shot up. Does it even have the capability to play on your own or does it require a server and a challenge in place you need friends to stay alive?

One thing I'll note is that if a game came out for the DC first and might be a classic to some it still might be honestly better on another console.

I'll agree for the most part about GameCube ports, although Ikaruga definitely looks better on Dreamcast. But the GameCube was probably the most balanced system of that era, in terms of raw power, lack of bottlenecks and just pleasing visual output. It also had a comfortable controller. So I also think stuff like Phantasy Star Online or the Sonic games look a little better overall on the GameCube.

I actually think Dreamcast games on the PS2 and Xbox are generally worse, though, in some cases graphically and in other cases in terms of control or even gameplay changes. Early PS2 games had aliasing problems, so games like Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, F355 Challenge, Le Mans 24 Hours (Test Drive Le Mans), Crazy Taxi and various others look better on Dreamcast. Xbox didn't get a lot of top Dreamcast ports but what it did get usually did look better, but I have problems controlling stuff like Crazy Taxi, as I mentioned earlier.

Then you have the odd game like Re-Volt, and to a lesser extent TD Le Mans, which are actually different games on different systems. Re-Volt is one of the hidden gems of the Dreamcast; it's like a real radio control car racing game, almost a simulation of it, whereas on PS2 it was revamped into basically a cookie-cutter kart racer with twitchier controls.

• Like 1

I don't understand why people still think burned discs are bad for the drive. I've been using burned backups on both my Dreamcasts and havent had a single problem.

Funnily enough, the only time I ever did have a drive problem was with an original, unopened copy of Destruction Derby. It would not boot at all without a boot disc. The drive made the most awful screeching when it loaded a level. Really fun game though.