IGNORED

Atari 2600 Not working

DerMarco

Hello,

I got my new Atari 2600 today. I tried to get it to work, but it doesnt. If I search for programs on tv, no programs can be found. If I use manual analog search, and I go to 55mhZ i see a black screen. And if I turn the Atari off it goes white and black.

I tried cleaning the contacts, too.

What can I do?

Greetings,

DerMarco

Edited by DerMarco

It means the Atari is creating a screen but not populating it with data. That's a good thing, shouldn't be anything wrong hat can't be reasonably repaired.

Can you take it apart and send a good clear pic of the board (or boards depending on the model)? Also, do you have a multimeter?

Edited by mojoatomic

It means the Atari is creating a screen but not populating it with data. That's a good thing, shouldn't be anything wrong hat can't be reasonably repaired.

Can you take it apart and send a good clear pic of the board (or boards depending on the model)? Also, do you have a multimeter?

Yeah i can take some pictures. But I dont have a multimeter :/

OK, with the board positioned with the cartridge slot towards the top and the 3 large chips towards the bottom, the chips in order from top to bottom are:

RIOT

CPU

TIA

Can you confirm that the chips are socketed? Looks like they are, but it's hard to tell for sure. Can you remove the shield from the back side of the board and take a good shot of the solder joints for the 3 chips in question?

Photos (2).zip

OK, with the board positioned with the cartridge slot towards the top and the 3 large chips towards the bottom, the chips in order from top to bottom are:

RIOT

CPU

TIA

Can you confirm that the chips are socketed? Looks like they are, but it's hard to tell for sure. Can you remove the shield from the back side of the board and take a good shot of the solder joints for the 3 chips in question?

Here are the new pictures :)

I read that you can find out if a chip is broken, if you start up the atari and test if one gets hot. The chip in the middle got a bit warm, but not that much.

Edited by DerMarco

RIOT

CPU

TIA

From my point the solder joints are ok. What do you think? Did you see anything else?

From my point the solder joints are ok. What do you think? Did you see anything else?

Well, I zoomed in but it's hard to tell. I haven't seen a rev 5 board in quite awhile! Looks like a few cold joints on the cart connector, and looks like a few dry/cold joints on the RIOT as well, and since those are the most likely culprits, that's where I'd start.

Well, I zoomed in but it's hard to tell. I haven't seen a rev 5 board in quite awhile! Looks like a few cold joints on the cart connector, and looks like a few dry/cold joints on the RIOT as well, and since those are the most likely culprits, that's where I'd start.

I tried soldering them. No change, still black picture. What can I do next?

I would remove the chips one at a time, starting with the RIOT and test after each reinsertion. Make sure your well grounded when you do this. If still no joy, my best bet would be the RIOT chip. I'd be happy to fix it for you, but I'm afraid the shipping round trip to Germany would be more than it's worth - more than the cost of a RIOT anyway.