IGNORED

The Enterprise (U.S.S.) retired after 56 years

_The Doctor__

Today marks a passing of an era and indeed a legacy. The ship's retirement has not gone UN-noticed by the crew of the Starship BBS. Please take some time to look up the USS Enterprise and the name Enterprise throughout history and of course in fiction as well.

Please stand at attention and salute as she retires and hears her last boatswain's call...

• Like 2

Today marks a passing of an era and indeed a legacy. The ship's retirement has not gone UN-noticed by the crew of the Starship BBS. Please take some time to look up the USS Enterprise and the name Enterprise throughout history and of course in fiction as well.

Please stand at attention and salute as she retires and hears her last boatswain's call...

I remember well the first time I stepped aboard her as she was moored at Norfolk Naval Base in 2000. I was visiting a fellow sailor who had just completed a 6 month deployment in her AIMD department. We talked at length, he about his ship and me about mine, CVN-68 USS Nimitz. Mine had been in drydock, a three year overhaul that was finally winding down. He remarked about her history and the fact that he suspected she was a haunted ship. Not in a bad way, just heavy with memories of those who served aboard her. Even then she was one of the oldest commissioned aircraft carriers.

Render her her just honors...

and then when the time comes hail her successor USS Enterprise CVN-80

Edited by Dropcheck
  • Like 2

I have only been aboard her once. A friend of mine was stationed on her and I was about to do paperwork for OCS, so he gave me a tour. I am glad to have known her. Never made it to OCS as my life took me a different path and I spent my time fixing planes and then changing altogether and teaching students,

• Like 2

Hmmm,

from the title I was thinking about this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Enterprise

while you were writing most-likely about that one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CVN-65)

The only german aircraft carrier "retired" much earlier: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_aircraft_carrier_Graf_Zeppelin

(construction never completed, sunk as a target ship 1947)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin