IGNORED

Light Gun games using bB?

atari2600land

I had finally purchased a copy of Sentinel on eBay for my XE Light Gun. I bought the gun from an AtariAge member a long time ago, but had no way of trying it out. Now this is making me wonder if it is possible to make a light gun game using batari BASIC. I read some of this topic: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261732-light-guns-and-lcds/

But what I'd like to do one for a CRT since that would probably be easier. I don't know how bB would detect whether the trigger on the light gun was pulled or not.

What I'd like to do is a Duck Hunt-type game for the Atari 2600. So, does anyone have any answer as to bB can make light gun games or not?

Light gun games only work on CRTs. I *think* I heard someone experimenting with getting the NES Rob working on the 2600. That's just sending information to the Rob via flashes of light. Light gun games probably need more than that.

The sega master system gun also has the right shape connector. The problem with both units is that they were never meant to interface with the 2600 (as far as I know). You'd have to dig out technical specs for each unit and experiment to see what the 2600 joystick port reads.

UPDATE: Apparently some 2600 games DO use the XG-1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XG-1

So, the answer is NO. bB cannot interface with a light gun. A mini kernel extension would have to be made. BUT, since 2600 games supporting XG-1 exist, programming such extensions is possible.

• Like 2

... I *think* I heard someone experimenting with getting the NES Rob working on the 2600. That's just sending information to the Rob via flashes of light... .

That was probably me, I made a cart to control the R.O.B. a few years back. I have just signed on for the first time in a looonnngg time, and will be releasing the .bin and probably the source code as well. Yes, it flashes the screen light and dark in a patter the R.O.B. is programmed to recognize. I think that it requires a CRT as well, I have different TVs now compared to when I first made it, but I will test later this week.

FWIW, here is my original thread

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/190214-i-got-my-atari-to-control-my-nintendo-rob-robot/

Edited by Pioneer4x4
  • Like 2