IGNORED

Amiga 2000

JEFF31

Ummm - not sure. Kid is asleep now but anyway I thought that you just added files to the jump/flash drive and then just selected the game to play

That's pretty much all there is to it. And as far as I know, you can't even write to them from the Amiga (because each .ADF file represents an individual floppy). Anyone else know if this is correct?

That's pretty much all there is to it. And as far as I know, you can't even write to them from the Amiga (because each .ADF file represents an individual floppy). Anyone else know if this is correct?

Yeah pretty much. You select the adf using the buttons on the GoTek and it loads in as if you inserted a floppy disk. Depending on the firmware you go with (Cortex, Flashfloppy or HxC) will dictate your write abilities to the ADF files only. Can't use the USB thumbdrive (or AD if that's the version of floppy emulator) for saving files/data directly. Only to preformatted ADFs the size of floppy disks.

Its funny. I recently purchased a Gotek (no special Amiga firmware, this was just for a PC) on Amazon and was reading the reviews. There was a review on there in which some guy thought that this would add USB mass storage abilities to his old PC. I guess when people see a USB port they expect that it will work this way ;) What you are really doing with the Gotek (or other floppy emulator) is emulating the floppy. You have to mount the floppy image (it is ADF or HFE format on Amiga) and then as far as the Amiga is concerned you just popped in a floppy. And from there on you are working with that "floppy", until you unmount it (just like popping out a real floppy disk) and mount a new one (pop in a new floppy disk). Best way I can describe it.

The technology for these cheap devices is pretty outstanding though. They work as expected and you can use them in legacy hardware that used floppy disks. I personally love these things.

• 3 months later...

OK - sorry for bringing up my old thread... but my son has tried several times over the last few months to get the 'gotek' module' to run... but has had NO SUCCESS...! SH__!.

I'll get with him to discuss the details and respond appropriately...

Thanks

Jeff31

Is this a 720 or 1.44 Gotek? Did you try the new FlashFloppy firmware?

Sorry it took so long to reply - holidays and all.

He says it is a 1.44 gotek. He used the 'cortex firmware' from their site. It says they should all be compatible.

He hasn't tried the flashfloopy firmware but will look into it.

Jeff

I can attest to the flash floppy firmware being fantastic. It is essentially an open source version of the HxC floppy firmware (which is a pay firmware) and has the same compatibility at least on the Amiga side...not sure about other formats though. I have been using a Gotek flashed with this fantastic firmware for a few weeks now and the compatibility as far as I can see is perfect.

So those batteries are alkaline?

I was used to car batteries and using a mix of baking soda and water. Now that I know it's alkaline on these computers, I guess baking soda's not the way to go?

I use a soft toothbrush and vinegar.

Spray the affected area with some vinegar then use the toothbrush to remove the electrolyte. Clean up the area with isopropyl once you're done. I've read that baking soda works as well but I've never tried it.

It's very important to brush with the direction of the traces and not against them..

Edited by shoestring