IGNORED

Homebrew kit for making catridges available again (also in new colors)

PkK

A while ago I had run out of cartridge cases for the homebrew kits, but today I got a shipment of new cases.

Now cases in 7 different colors (I have plenty of all colors below except for red) are available:

Kit%20Colors.jpeg

As before, the two main variants are the homebrew kit CV and the homebrew kit CVs.

The homebrew kit CV uses DIL/DIP EPROMs directly supported by virtually all EPROM burners. It requires soldering for assembly.

Kit%20CV%20wide.jpeg

The homebrew kit CVs can be assembled more easily as it does not require soldering. It uses PLCC EPROMs, which on some EPROM burners requires the use of an adapter.

Kit%20CVs%20wide.jpeg

Philipp

• Like 3

A while ago I had run out of cartridge cases for the homebrew kits, but today I got a shipment of new cases.

Now cases in 7 different colors (I have plenty of all colors below except for red) are available:

Kit%20Colors.jpeg

As before, the two main variants are the homebrew kit CV and the homebrew kit CVs.

The homebrew kit CV uses DIL/DIP EPROMs directly supported by virtually all EPROM burners. It requires soldering for assembly.

Kit%20CV%20wide.jpeg

The homebrew kit CVs can be assembled more easily as it does not require soldering. It uses PLCC EPROMs, which on some EPROM burners requires the use of an adapter.

Kit%20CVs%20wide.jpeg

Philipp

Those are real slick Philipp! Can imagine a lot of users who can do simple solder or (not at all) to start burning all those roms on the net into physical carts. BRAVO!!!!

I want!! Ordering instructions?

You can contact me at philipp@colecovision.eu. But shipping might be slow or expensive (you state your location as "PA", which probably means Panama or Pennsylvania; neither one is close to my place).

Philipp

• 3 weeks later...

Today, I successfully tested a prototype of a new version of the Homebrew kit. It is not meant to replace the current one, but to allow certain homebrew projects not possible with the old one.

Features:

* Twice as expensive

* 16 times more ROM (512KB instead of 32KB)

* Infinitely more EEPROM for savegames (32KB instead of 0KB)

Years ago, I started working on this for my Tunnels & Trolls game, but then other projects took my time; only recently did I start working on this version of the homebrew kit again.

Philipp

• Like 6

This is one of the prototypes tested yesterday (the EEPROM is missing on this one to allow easier access to the contacts for measurements):

L5.jpeg

The final version will be very similar. The Flash ROM is PLCC.

Philipp

P.S: The design would also support a 1MB Flash ROM, but since these are hard to obtain and expensive, the final version will most likely come with a 512KB Flash ROM.

• Like 1

Just one question, out of curiosity: What is the size of your bankswitchable banks? 16K?

The current prototype uses 4KB. I've created a new thread over in the programming forum for discussing the technical details:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/262620-whats-the-best-bank-sizes-for-a-bankswitching-cartridge/

Philipp