IGNORED

wii mini and hdmi ports

artrag

Hi all,

I have a WII mini (the red one) and a new TV set with many HDMI ports. I'm lookink for a WII2HDMI device able to convert the WII signal from my WII mini to HDMI but none of the devices I've found guarantee to be compatible with the WII mini. Instead, some of them are declared not compatible by unappy users that review the items.

Is there anyone that has faced the problem that can point me an HDMI converter that is able to work with the WII mini ?

Thanks in advance

AR

R.Cade is 100% correct.

So even if you found one that did this, it would be deinterlacing and upscaling the Wii's composite output. It won't be a pretty result and you'd be better off investing in a used Wii as a result (I'd personally recommend a backwards compatible model).

As a side note, be aware that if you do buy a used component-capable Wii and a Wii2HDMI adapter, that they all automatically stretch the video output to 16:9 proportions and lack the option to enable pillarboxing. So unless it's one of the rare Wii games that self-pillarboxes itself like Mega Man 9/10 did when the Wii was set to widescreen, your 4:3 games will all be stretched during the conversion process by the 3rd party HDMI adapter.

The only way then to play a 4:3 Wii game in 4:3, is if your HDTV can narrow the 16:9 output back down to 4:3 proportions. And that's something that many HDTV's don't do. You can universally mess with standard definition aspect ratios on HDTV's, but it's far less common when it's a HD source being fed to the tv.

Edited by Atariboy