IGNORED

Any fans of NES Marble Madness?

mbd30

It's so addictive. I like that a game only takes a few minutes. I've been playing quite a bit lately for high score.

Today I got my highest score ever, 135,240. Only two deaths!

The real pros can get over 170k but you have to be perfect. I'm not near that level yet.

PDG4bjY.jpg

• Like 3

It's a super fun game. Played it a lot as a kid, but it's fun to go back to it when I'm doing NES streaming sessions these days but am not quite sure on what to play. It's tough to score high and like the OP said, it requires a high level of skill to make it rain points.

If you ever start taking NES graphics and sound capabilities for granted, compare the NES port of Marble Madness to the DOS version.

This makes the NES look like a friggin' PS3.

• Like 1

I like it a lot, but I'm terrible at it. I'm not that great at arcade Marble Madness, either, though.

I don't think I've ever played the arcade version. I'm so used to playing with the dpad over the years that it would probably feel weird to play it with a track ball.

Very well done sir !!! I am not very good at this game but have not put much effort into it . I do like it though .

I don't know how far you've made it in the game, but the final section of the final level with the disappearing/reappearing track is so frustrating and nerve wracking. I'm surprised I didn't get nervous and screw up after playing flawlessly up to that point.

If you ever start taking NES graphics and sound capabilities for granted, compare the NES port of Marble Madness to the DOS version.

This makes the NES look like a friggin' PS3.

That's because:

1) That's CGA, the emulator isn't running in CGA mode

2) The PCjr/Tandy 1000 mode was better.

Oh, I'll just play and upload that.

Anytime you see a pastel MSDOS game, it's because the computer or emulated computer isn't in CGA or Tandy mode that would display it correctly.

The NES version was superior to most home computer ports just by virtue of being able to scroll the screen. Only the Amiga, Atari ST, FM Towns and X68000 versions were good computer versions, and the FM Towns was 1991, same with the X68000 also 1991. The EA DOS PC version was rather terrible considering they also did the Amiga version. The NES version was made by Milton Bradley in 1989.

Edited by Kismet

Spend more time with it and learn it. There are only like.. five or six stages in the game. It takes about five minutes to clear the game.

The real challenge is playing for high score.

When playing for score it's especially important to not die on the final section because you get huge points for remaining seconds there. And it takes so much practice to do that part smoothly.

I came close to 150k today. I got 149k.

This game messes with your mind when playing for score. The last section is the "make or break" point in the game, and if you screw up you can kiss your high score goodbye. Unless you've played so much that you can pretty much do the controller motions in your sleep, it's really stressful.