IGNORED

notoriously difficult NES games that you've beaten- and haven't?

Beaten:

SMB 1-3

Zelda 1&2

Castlevania 2

Metroid

Contra (yes, with the code)

Not beaten

Ninja Gaiden - 2nd to the last guy beat, "Now there's one more? Oh damnit!"

Castlevania - Grim Reaper

Punch Out - Never managed to beat Tyson

Just spam Grim Reaper with holy water and he can't even move. He's a pain in the butt otherwise.

The second final boss form is where a lot of people get stuck in Ninja Gaiden. If you can beat him, you can beat the game. Don't give up!

• Like 2

Just spam Grim Reaper with holy water and he can't even move. He's a pain in the butt otherwise.

The second final boss form is where a lot of people get stuck in Ninja Gaiden. If you can beat him, you can beat the game. Don't give up!

All of these plays were in my childhood (Except for SMB3, that one took until college)

I don't have the patience to devote to any of the unbeaten anymore. Especially because nowadays they seem even more difficult! :)

I always had a tougher time with Sandman than Tyson

There is a simple strat for him. After he does his initial series of rolling jabs, just hit him in the face. He'll respond by dodging and taking a swing at you, and you can dodge that and counter. Rinse and repeat. You can do it with your eyes closed.

Eventually he'll block this pattern which means he's setting up for the triple uppercut. Immediately dodge three times when the sprite blinks and then counter. You have like a split second to start dodging. It's not too difficult when playing on a television with no lag such as an old fashioned CRT, but if there is any lag then he's almost impossible, as are Macho Man and Tyson.

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 1

I have to say that's why I think I wasn't able to beat Battletoads and considered it "impossible".. because I was trying to do the speeder levels via an emulator! This was several years ago using save states and I still couldn't do it.. so now I highly suspect (and blame :lol:) LAG.

I'll have to play Battletoads now on the Everdrive on like you said.. an old fashioned CRT, and see how I do.. and maybe get another "hard" NES game under my belt. :)

Edited by NE146

You can do it with your eyes closed.

Speaking of which I actually did this years ago with Glass Joe. I closed my eyes and played by sound and knocked him out. 20 years ago I use to turn around facing the other way in Street Fighter II and beat all my friends/relatives purely by sound. If my Hyduken or what not did not make a sound I knew I was facing the wrong way lol.

I still now and then fire up SF II always on 8 stars... sometimes I wish there were more lol. That game is a major pattern game and drawing the cpu's moves into you. Forcing them to do what you know they will so you can already be throwing the counter.

• Like 1

I have to say that's why I think I wasn't able to beat Battletoads and considered it "impossible".. because I was trying to do the speeder levels via an emulator! This was several years ago using save states and I still couldn't do it.. so now I highly suspect (and blame :lol:) LAG.

I'll have to play Battletoads now on the Everdrive on like you said.. an old fashioned CRT, and see how I do.. and maybe get another "hard" NES game under my belt. :)

The worst part of the speeder level is the end, but you just need to get the rhythm down. It helps to kind of synchronize with the sound effects.

I had major trouble beating the turbo tunnel when I was playing with an emulator and PC gamepad. I was able to beat the game playing on a NES. You'll discover that it's far from the hardest stage in the game. Wait until you're at the terra tubes ugh.

There is a simple strat for him. After he does his initial series of rolling jabs, just hit him in the face. He'll respond by dodging and taking a swing at you, and you can dodge that and counter. Rinse and repeat. You can do it with your eyes closed.

Eventually he'll block this pattern which means he's setting up for the triple uppercut. Immediately dodge three times when the sprite blinks and then counter. You have like a split second to start dodging. It's not too difficult when playing on a television with no lag such as an old fashioned CRT, but if there is any lag then he's almost impossible, as are Macho Man and Tyson.

It's just one of those things I guess. Struggled to get my timing down on him, yet Macho Man I can beat every time and easily. Even Tyson I have better timing against. I'll have to go back and try again sometime...

Edited by Joe C.

It's just one of those things I guess. Struggled to get my timing down on him, yet Macho Man I can beat every time and easily. Even Tyson I have better timing against. I'll have to go back and try again sometime...

It was Macho who was giving me issues when I was trying to beat the game more recently. He's just so quick and I had trouble dodging his repeated spin punches.

And Tyson's first round uppercuts. Ugh those are terrible. You get almost no time to react. Sandman is way easier, especially with the strats I mentioned above.

• Like 2

Yeah, if I haven't played in a while, Tyson takes me out pretty easily and quickly. I find that playing repeated sessions gets me into a zone where I am more in tune with the opponents moves and patterns. Hell, Tiger used to take me out back it the day if I was off my game! :spidey:

• Like 2

It was Macho who was giving me issues when I was trying to beat the game more recently. He's just so quick and I had trouble dodging his repeated spin punches.

And Tyson's first round uppercuts. Ugh those are terrible. You get almost no time to react. Sandman is way easier, especially with the strats I mentioned above.

It's interesting to hear about who struggles against which opponents.

Is the Genesis version of Battletoads considered any harder/better/different than NES Battletoads? I have a Genesis already plugged in here at my desk and just kinda realized there is Battletoads available on it. :lol:

Here is Austin's playthrough of the Genesis version where he discusses the differences. He doesn't care for it as much.

• Like 3

Super Pitfall was tough back in the day with no map. I managed to beat it and dumped the POS at a nearby Funcoland.

Haven't beaten yet: Nazo no Atlantis (Mystery of Atlantis). Activision bought the USA distro rights to this and planned to sell it under the name Super Pitfall II. They wisely decided not to.

Here is Austin's playthrough of the Genesis version where he discusses the differences. He doesn't care for it as much.

Yeah, I don't recommend the Genesis version. It has some lack of polish that can end up getting you killed faster than in the NES version, for instance, on the final stage. The visuals are nice at parts, but I find it to be a sloppy version at parts and not as responsive/snappy as the NES version control and gameplay-wise.

There are two very hard games that I have mastered to the extremes. Spelunker and Zelda II. Watch my vid about how hard I can own Spelunker and I've played Zelda II so much that I've been able to finish the game even while doing the four heart and magic container only challenge!

I've finished many other very hard games (at least as far as most people consider hard). I have finished Castlevania, all Mega Man games, Karnov, both Contra games, Batman, Double Dragon and many others.

Ones that I need to finally finish are

Ninja Gaiden, I have finished both last bosses when practicing on an emulator but can't do It consistently enough to finish it on the real cart.

Battletoads, I can beat most BT games but never made it past the final stage. I can finish the Genesis version with ease so I just need to get used to the timing of the jumps on the final level and finish it once and for all.

Snake Rattle n' Roll is another game that I can't finish the last stage on yet.

Double Dragon 3 I can make it to the last stage but haven't spent much time on it at all.

Edited by vintagegamecrazy

Beat many games on NES,but the one I loved ending the most was Stinger actually. I love how that game has 2 different endings you can choose from.

Would love to beat Chubby Cherub, Mickey Mousecapade, RC Pro Am and Bubble Bobble soon. RC Pro Am is super hard!!! I also had no idea Ninja Kid had an ending so I might try that . I told the game programmer of Shadowgate once that his game is super hard,and I keep getting stuck at the level with the waterfall! lol Still would like to beat that game though.

• Like 1

Shadowgate is wonderful, and honestly the easiest of the three games in that series, but you do have to wade through some red herrings and useless items to figure out what to do with everything. I love Shadowgate. I made maps and all kinds of guides for it for my friends back it the day. Uninvited is BRUTAL comparatively. Deja Vu, not as bad. Uninvited was the only one that I had to get help to solve.

Mickey Mousecapade is surprisingly difficulty because you have to tag Minnie along. If Mickey could go solo, it would be much easier. Those bears in the woods, and the maze itself, are infuriating!!!

Bubble Bobble is easier and more fun with 2 players!

Great games! :spidey:

Super Pitfall was tough back in the day with no map. I managed to beat it and dumped the POS at a nearby Funcoland.

Haven't beaten yet: Nazo no Atlantis (Mystery of Atlantis). Activision bought the USA distro rights to this and planned to sell it under the name Super Pitfall II. They wisely decided not to.

I don't even know how it is possible to beat Super Pitfall without a guide. Some of the stuff you have to do is so stupid such as touch a certain bird when most birds kill you, and you have to know to backtrack to some previous point in the game.