IGNORED

Atari Flashback 2 2600 Mod

Tanooki

Years ago I had considered one of these but never found some solid info, being here now I figured I'd ask.

Has anyone actually gone to the effort of soldering in a 2600 cartridge port on one of these 100% VCS compatible Flashback 2 devices and is it really worth the effort? How about price, is it worth it on those grounds either vs a RCA modded original? I doubt I have the skill to do it myself, nor could I even do a semi-presentable carving of the system shell either to slot the games into it.

Years ago I had considered one of these but never found some solid info, being here now I figured I'd ask.

Has anyone actually gone to the effort of soldering in a 2600 cartridge port on one of these 100% VCS compatible Flashback 2 devices and is it really worth the effort? How about price, is it worth it on those grounds either vs a RCA modded original? I doubt I have the skill to do it myself, nor could I even do a semi-presentable carving of the system shell either to slot the games into it.

Just to clarify, it's not a 100% compatible. As such, you're better off getting an AV-modded (RCA and beyond is available) Atari 2600 or 7800 in my opinion, since the cost works out to about the same, without the same type of limitations.

• Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up. I imagine if I did jump then pushing that out of the question I'd think the 7800 would work out best given you can then use both libraries for the most part.

Generally speaking, yes. That's my preferred solution. There are only a few minor annoyances when using the 7800 as a 2600, otherwise it's pretty much all positives over just a 2600.

I am interested in purchasing an Atari Flashback cartridge Mod. Is anyone interested in selling one and for how much? Thanks!

Out of curiosity, why? I mean, not to beat a dead horse here, but modded Atari 2600s start at $50 (and 7800s maybe double that), so it's not like the real thing is all that expensive. I can't imagine the going rate for a mod or already modded Flashback 2 is as cost effective, and we already know it's not as compatible.

The picture quality from my 2600 is terrible and getting worse. My flashback is clear. I know some games are cleaner/dirtier than others but it's just poor quality in general through the old console.

No, that was my point. Either buy a pre-modded Atari 2600 starting at $50 (or 7800 for about twice that), or get your 2600 modded. You can do composite, S-VIDEO, RGB, etc. If you want to cartridge mod a Flashback 2 or buy a pre-modded Flashback 2, it's going to cost at least that much and possibly quite a bit more, and still not give you the same type of compatibility. I just don't see the point.

Edited by BillLoguidice

I think it's a neat little project and I picked up an extra one to attempt the mod some time in the future. I don't agree it would make sense to get it or pay someone for the mod when original hardware is still affordable. Heck, even the 2600 AtGames handheld is probably a better buy.

So it's more about doing the mod yourself and having a conversation piece on the shelf than having an actual usable 2600.

On a side note, I also hear you can install a switch on the ground connection that disables the mod and leaves the Flashback 2 in its original form. That way you get to keep all the built in games at the flick of a switch.

On a side note, I also hear you can install a switch on the ground connection that disables the mod and leaves the Flashback 2 in its original form. That way you get to keep all the built in games at the flick of a switch.

Nice, never knew about that. I thought the slot was just added and the games always stayed. You are not destroying the flash, just adding a slot.