IGNORED

3DO repair...

homerj

I've got an FZ-10 that I didn't play for probably over a year & when I finally decided to play it again I found that it won't read any of my games. Anyone know where I can get it repaired reasonably? I've got quite a few games that I'd still like to be able to play once in a while but I also don't know if it's worth sinking a ton of money into.

Thanks for the info. I was really looking more for someone who performs the repairs. I'm not sure I'd be up to replacing the laser myself.

VideoGamePerfection can perform repairs on 3DOs :

https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/3do-repair-service/

You should contact them first before sending it in though. (i don't know if they repair the drive's laser)

Can you describe the symptoms you are experiencing? There are multiple ways a FZ-10 can stop reading discs.

Are your discs even spinning? Also, if so, are you using CD-r discs, or original games? Does it load any at all, even if only for a moment?

If it's the later, then yeah, you might need a new lens. If the discs aren't spinning however, it could be a different issue all together.

Update: fired up the 3DO this weekend & now the disc no longer spins.

OK, if that's the case, open the door and look for the switch that triggers the discs to spin. If you are facing the unit, it should be in the leftmost corner closest to you. The button sits below the disc tray slot, so you will need to grab a pen or screwdriver, or something along those lines, to activate it manually. Have a disc in the drive while you do this, and if it spins, then great. If not, then there might be an actual drive issue that will require you to take the system apart.

If the disc does spin after this test, it's likely the tiny little tab/actuator attached to the drive door itself snapped off--it will be in the same position that the disc activation switch will be, just on the door. I had this happen to my unit and had to rig up a new tab. It's what pushes that button and triggers the discs to spin when the drive door is closed.