IGNORED

Your Favorite 3DO exclusives?

I really enjoy the look and feel of the 3DO. It's a solid looking machine reminiscent of a roman temple. That being said I sometimes wonder why i have one, given that many of the good games made their way to Saturn or PS1. Then I realize there are some great exclusives that make the system worth owning. Below are my favorite:

-Escape from Monster Manor-A Halloween themed FPS by EA? I'm in.

-Lucienne's Quest- A decent JRPG on the 3DO

-Killing Time- A creepy first person shooter. Despite some issues with control, I love this game and it's flapper era theme. Reminds me of "The Shining"

What are some of your favorite exclusives for the 3DO?

• Like 1

Shockwave and Total Eclipse were pretty awesome. Immercenary and Offworld Interceptor were kind of neat as well.

I'll include Super Street Fighter II Turbo because, unless you count PC, I don't think any other platform had SSF2Turbo, only SSF2(non-turbo). Absolutely killer soundtrack as well.

I think most of my other favorite games were ported to/from other systems, though (Out Of This World, Need For Speed, etc).

Monster Manor is one I definitely want to scoop up one of these days. I guess Slam and Jam could be considered an exclusive though the sequel came out on the Saturn and PSX. I'm a sucker for that kind of game including Dunk Dream on the Neo Geo and the later arcade only followups.

• Like 1

Icebreaker is a fun action/puzzle hybrid that can get repetitive, but has some great charm and is one of my favorites to zone out to for periods of time.

Alone in the Dark is sluggish compared to the PC one, but I still have a soft spot for it.

Cyberdillo is really freakin' stupid, but I always have fun playing it.

In regards to the Super Street Fighter II Turbo comment, it was also on the Saturn and PS1 in the Street Fighter Collection pack. So, not really an exclusive, but definitely one of the better, more polished games on the 3DO (that later point should be stressed).

Monster Manor is neat, but gets repetitive very quickly. One weapon, and crazy maze-like stages. It's fun in short bursts, but wears thin when you actually try to complete it.

• Like 1

In regards to the Super Street Fighter II Turbo comment, it was also on the Saturn and PS1 in the Street Fighter Collection pack. So, not really an exclusive, but definitely one of the better, more polished games on the 3DO (that later point should be stressed).

I always forget about collections--the systems I actively collect for (pre-crash consoles and computers) tend not to have them. And they present kind of a gray area as to what constitutes an official release (do Night Stalker and Astrosmash count as PS2 and Xbox releases because they were on Intellivision Lives?).

But your point is well taken, and I need to check those out. :)

Dr. Hauzer

Preface to the whole thing: Yeah I can't come up with many good 3DO titles that are truly exclusive. I wrote this post a few times before now - my first pick was Lucienne's Quest (Sword & Sorcery on the Saturn exists (Which is the same name as the JP version of the 3DO version) which is an upgraded port from the year after so I can't count it as an exclusive), then Total Eclipse (Exists on PS1), then Monster Manor (It's fun but definitely at least a bit repetitive) so this got my pick.

The game is actually a really cool one, being a survival horror title that's 3D 'n all that from '94. You've got a solid plot, solid gameplay, and some pretty cool stuff. Here's a list of stuff I like:

• You can swap from a 1st person, 3rd person, and overhead view while playing
  • The graphics look nice, kinda cel-shaded? I like the style
  • The enemy isn't generic enemies, it's the house where you're in - the house is sentient, so it throws stuff at you to stump you which was cool
  • The music and sound works really well with the gameplay

So yeah, it's just fun. I'd say pick up a copy, if you can't then just burn one - it's good fun.

Edits - forgot the M in Many and wanted to change a little wording.

Edited by BurritoBeans

I had a lot of fun with Tetsujin and Tetsujin Returns. Also known as Iron Angel of the Apocalypse 1 and 2. They're Japanese-made FPS games, weirdly enough. The first one has a terrible framerate, but I think it's intentional. The game plays more like a dungeon crawler with real time combat. The second one plays more like an in-between Wolf3D-Doom FPS. They're both cool games.

Another one I like a lot is Belzerion (spelling?). It's a Japan exclusive. It's really text heavy, but the atmosphere of it is something else, cyperpunk-Blade Runner that brings to mind early 90s anime. The gameplay is a mix of point-n-click, dungeon crawling, and first person combat.

Dr. Hauzer

Preface to the whole thing: Yeah I can't come up with many good 3DO titles that are truly exclusive. I wrote this post a few times before now - my first pick was Lucienne's Quest (Sword & Sorcery on the Saturn exists (Which is the same name as the JP version of the 3DO version) which is an upgraded port from the year after so I can't count it as an exclusive), then Total Eclipse (Exists on PS1), then Monster Manor (It's fun but definitely at least a bit repetitive) so this got my pick.

The game is actually a really cool one, being a survival horror title that's 3D 'n all that from '94. You've got a solid plot, solid gameplay, and some pretty cool stuff. Here's a list of stuff I like:

• You can swap from a 1st person, 3rd person, and overhead view while playing
  • The graphics look nice, kinda cel-shaded? I like the style
  • The enemy isn't generic enemies, it's the house where you're in - the house is sentient, so it throws stuff at you to stump you which was cool
  • The music and sound works really well with the gameplay

So yeah, it's just fun. I'd say pick up a copy, if you can't then just burn one - it's good fun.

Edits - forgot the M in Many and wanted to change a little wording.

How hard is it to play if you don't understand Japanese

Sub-topic: Are there any JP 3DO exclusives worth picking up since we are starting on that path? Any of the baseball games worth a look?

Pro Stadium is an ok baseball game if you can find it for cheap

Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon
Yi Yi Hakusho
Policenauts
Autobahn Tokio
These are about the only ones I can recommend. I've not played a lot of Japanese 3do games but these are the ones I've played and kept in my collection. Policenauts you will need to know Japanese or follow a guide