IGNORED

Your Favorite 3DO exclusives?

There're many ways to define "exclusive". Timed exclusives are one. So at the time of their 3DO release; D, BattleSport, Gex, Return Fire, Total Eclipse and StarFighter were 3DO exclusives.
But after all these years you can have fun with these : Trip'D, Phoenix3, AD&D Slayer and Death Keep, Immercenary (LOVE this one), Blade Force, Crash n' Burn (Still play this regularly. VERY solid title), Burning Soldier, Escape from Monster Manor. Maybe Quarantine and Way of the Warrior, too

This is an awesome list I will have to look into! I actually really like Quarantine, it's like Crazy Taxi but you get to kill everyone and run them over which is fun! I actually found this out yesterday tho, that it was not necessarily a 3DO exclusive. The Saturn actually had it but in Japan and was called "Death Throttle" which has some slightly better graphics, and most is in English but the text portion when the potential passengers are talking to you. Aside from that you can make it around the game pretty well. I played maybe an hour of Quarantine on Saturday and it was awesome!

This is an awesome list I will have to look into! I actually really like Quarantine, it's like Crazy Taxi but you get to kill everyone and run them over which is fun! I actually found this out yesterday tho, that it was not necessarily a 3DO exclusive. The Saturn actually had it but in Japan and was called "Death Throttle" which has some slightly better graphics, and most is in English but the text portion when the potential passengers are talking to you. Aside from that you can make it around the game pretty well. I played maybe an hour of Quarantine on Saturday and it was awesome!

Phoenix 3 is underrated. It's a mix of action platformer and space shooter. The platforming features a digitized actor and CGI aliens, it's overly animated so it _sorta_ gives off a Flashback/Blackthorne feel (but not really). I enjoy the mix of playing styles tho. Even if the 2 modes are average, the overall experience is improved in a weird quantity-over-quality sort of way.

​I was never a Quarantine guy, but it gets good comments all the time so I might give it a chance. I only played it in the 90s and couldn't do much.

​Immercenary is good. It's a 1st person offline MMORPG type thing in which you help the citizens of the future who are all trapped Inside a virtual game, by becoming the best at it. So you go around exploring, finding weapons, grinding levels and beating bosses when prompted. Some mechanics are admittedly broken, such as strafing consists of microscopic jerks to either side, but it never breaks the game.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Many games were designed as exclusive to the 3do. Unfortunately, due to the demise, they were then ported elsewhere - Space Hulk, Need for Speed, Fifa, Road Rash and others. In terms of ones that did not make it to any others, this is my list of favourites -

Demolition Man

Foes of Ali

Captain Quazar

Twisted

Return Fire

The Daedalus Encounter

Killing Time (although I think this ended up on PC)

I know there will be more but I am still early in re-collecting the games (I have around 40) so I haven't got to many yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Many games were designed as exclusive to the 3do. Unfortunately, due to the demise, they were then ported elsewhere - Space Hulk, Need for Speed, Fifa, Road Rash and others. In terms of ones that did not make it to any others, this is my list of favourites -

Demolition Man

Foes of Ali

Captain Quazar

Twisted

Return Fire

The Daedalus Encounter

Killing Time (although I think this ended up on PC)

I know there will be more but I am still early in re-collecting the games (I have around 40) so I haven't got to many yet.

I LOVE nitpicking!

Captain Quazar has a PC version

​Return Fire has PSX and PC versions (not sure about the Maps o' Death expansion tho)

​I think the actual exclusives are all already listed. My favorite has to be Immercenary, quickly followed by Phoenix3. I have yet to play Slayer and Deathkeep...but I just bought Slayer from a member here so we'll see when it gets here.

• Like 1

I LOVE nitpicking!

Captain Quazar has a PC version

​Return Fire has PSX and PC versions (not sure about the Maps o' Death expansion tho)

​I think the actual exclusives are all already listed. My favorite has to be Immercenary, quickly followed by Phoenix3. I have yet to play Slayer and Deathkeep...but I just bought Slayer from a member here so we'll see when it gets here.

Yes you are correct that there are other versions - I messed up on that BUT Captain Quazar was intended as an exclusive and didn't go over to the PC until after the 3do has been discontinued. Return Fire went over much sooner to the PC and PSX as a Port of the original 3do title (in 1996). (3do version was 1995). Maps of Death was 3do only.

I have never played Immercenary so I do intend to get to that one eventually. Slayer is a great game.

Yes you are correct that there are other versions - I messed up on that BUT Captain Quazar was intended as an exclusive and didn't go over to the PC until after the 3do has been discontinued. Return Fire went over much sooner to the PC and PSX as a Port of the original 3do title (in 1996). (3do version was 1995). Maps of Death was 3do only.

I have never played Immercenary so I do intend to get to that one eventually. Slayer is a great game.

Oh well. Let me sell you on it! Think of it as a first-person offline MMO. In fact, that's the setting : a virtual game world from the future. Its inhabitant are stuck in there and somehow contacted 1994 for help. A ragtag team of scientists send a dude there to help. (aka kill everything in sight)

​The game is hella confusing at first, especially if you don't know any of the mecanics for getting around safely, but once you gain some stats it gets more bearable to explore the map. Dying isn't much of a setback: it'll cost you stats and items (random), but the scientists bring you back and expain a couple elements you might have missed out on and then they send you back in. It's cool, I swear. The acting isn't exactly good, but it's not too cringy (MegaRace, anyone?). It's generic, if anything.

​One other thing : there's no strafing. Or strafing is broken, w/e but it's not really needed. You should try it! A full playthrough took me about 5 hours last year, and I had forgotten a bunch of things so it's not like I had a crazy edge over a new player.

Edited by Montrealer