IGNORED

Flex board connector pinout help needed

Shift838

I am having difficulty find what the PCB pins are for the connector as far as what pin to the firehouse connector is.

does anyone have a detail of what the 44 pins in the picture inside the red box map to firehose connector or even the 99/4a side port ?.

My continuity testing is not going well, probably because of the PCB inside the firehose cable.

post-35187-0-94662300-1487217841_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shift838

i think I found it.

HERE

Actually, you'll need to go one more schematic sheet to the right if you want to see the pin numbers of the PEB terminator signal. I worked through alternatives for replacing the fire hose. The same 44 line designations leaving the console's i/o port change after passing through the first connector of the PEB and then change again expanding to 60 at the other end. Granted, there are a lot of pins ganged for unregulated +8, -8, +16, -16, and gnd connections, so focus more on each line's designation/function rather than pin number. Good luck.

Forum was being stupid tonight with Chrome not attaching pictures, so here's a numbered picture of the P2 end (in case your card isn't marked or worn away over the years):

But are these going to be a one to one connection. So will pin 1 on the P2 connector go to pin 1 on the 99/4a sideport, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, etc ?

But are these going to be a one to one connection. So will pin 1 on the P2 connector go to pin 1 on the 99/4a sideport, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, etc ?

Not a 1:1 straight numerical correlation if I get what you are asking.

Examples: Pin #37 of I/O actually becomes Pin #28 of the P2 or termination of the PEB flex.

Pin #40 of I/O actually becomes Pin #29 of the P2 or termination of the PEB flex.

Pins #1,2,13,28,41,43 of the I/O won't be connected at all since they terminate in the speech synthesizer.

And of course 21,23,25, and 27 (gnd) of I/O would only get connected to Pin #3,7,9,25,27,32, OR 37 of the P2 or termination of the PEB flex.

Hope I haven't confused you ;-]

post-48993-0-16147600-1487223588_thumb.jpg

Not a 1:1 straight numerical correlation if I get what you are asking.

Examples: Pin #37 of I/O actually becomes Pin #28 of the P2 or termination of the PEB flex.

Pin #40 of I/O actually becomes Pin #29 of the P2 or termination of the PEB flex.

Pins #1,2,13,28,41,43 of the I/O won't be connected at all since they terminate in the speech synthesizer.

And of course 21,23,25, and 27 (gnd) of I/O would only get connected to Pin #3,7,9,25,27,32, OR 37 of the P2 or termination of the PEB flex.

Hope I haven't confused you ;-]

Then what I am seeing if I have not been utterly confused is a total of 35 pins will need to be connected instead of 44 ?

Then what I am seeing if I have not been utterly confused is a total of 35 pins will need to be connected instead of 44 ?

I count 36 (don't forget the loner "ready" line, #12 > #40 at the bottom. Geez, it's too late and these old eyes with small font aren't helping the counting either ;-]

I count 36 (don't forget the loner "ready" line, #12 > #40 at the bottom. Geez, it's too late and these old eyes with small font aren't helping the counting either ;-]

Thanks for the help.

I did miss counting the ready line!

You're welcome. I forgot that in your short hop of your project you aren't including all the PEB circuitry/transceiver/resistors because of the short distance in your modded case. I agree with your 35 NOW after seeing that RDBENA.A (inverted) is driven from the PEB. Told you it was late!

You're welcome. I forgot that in your short hop of your project you aren't including all the PEB circuitry/transceiver/resistors because of the short distance in your modded case. I agree with your 35 NOW after seeing that RDBENA.A (inverted) is driven from the PEB. Told you it was late!

correct I noticed that line too was driven from the PEB.

I believe I got it all down so I can start putting my card together tomorrow.

Attached is what I mapped so it's easy for me to read and refer to.

I have made my own connector for the flex card to mount on the PCB with some standard headers. I was able to pull every other header out of the plastic housing and it fits perfect.

I will use some standard dupont header cables to get it working.

Stuart suggested to hook up a couple of wires at a time and power up the system. If the 99/4A freezes then I have a wire wrong and it will be easier to identify by using a couple at a time.

post-35187-0-99702000-1487227227_thumb.jpg

• Like 2