IGNORED

Best puzzle games nobody talks about?

KWKBOX

I've never played the GB version of Quarth, but I like it a lot on MSX2. It was released for Famicom as well, but it plays quite a bit differently than the MSX2 version despite both were made by Konami.

Flipull (Plotting) by Taito also is a good one. I'm not that much for its brother Puzznic, but those two go together.

I once played a demo version of the Amiga game Statix (1995) which was a bit renewing take on the piece dropping games.

I'm sure I am forgetting some important (to me) ones, but the concept of puzzle games also is rather wide, as it includes anything from jigsaws through Sokoban to Tetris, Bejeweled, and sometimes closer to strategy board games using tiles.

• Thanks 1

Palamedes is my favorite puzzle game. I am referring to the NES port. I have played the original arcade version on MAME and it is not as good IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palamedes_(video_game)

I have recorded a Youtube playthrough on the highest difficulty. I've gotten way higher scores but this was a decent run. You get a "perfect bonus" of 50,000 points for every stage you clear by shooting all the dice without doing any combos.

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 4

Octomania on the Wii looks very much like a budget release, but the gameplay is really rather unique (you turn blocks of octopi toward grills that appear on the screen until you have enough for a delicious order of takoyaki, which makes them disappear.) It's really quite cheap too- easily obtained for around 5 bucks complete. Just, uh- be ready for some terrible dialog.

Edited by HoshiChiri
  • Like 3

Man!

Lots of great answers here!

I'd say Super Columns for Game Gear (I always wished it had a Genesis release)...And Bust A Move games on Neo Geo, SNES, and Playstations...

I'm not sure if I'd call it a puzzler per se, but Ultimate Qix (AKA Volfied) for Genesis is one of my favorite games Ever!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stack Columns is a really fun variant of the original. It's very similar to Columns III, with a CPU opponent that you can attack, but I think it has a much better style than Columns III. The only home port is part of the Columns Arcade Collection on the Saturn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRPncI0zLj0

Edited by zetastrike
  • Like 1

Palamedes is my favorite puzzle game. I am referring to the NES port. I have played the original arcade version on MAME and it is not as good IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palamedes_(video_game)

I have recorded a Youtube playthrough on the highest difficulty. I've gotten way higher scores but this was a decent run. You get a "perfect bonus" of 50,000 points for every stage you clear by shooting all the dice without doing any combos.

I just played this for the 1st time ever even though I have owned it for years LOL. The first game I had no idea what I was doing. The 2nd game I seen down destroyed levels and then I remembered what I read here about getting a perfect. the 3rd game I got perfect in the first 7 levels then messed up. My score was 359,170. Not bad for first attempt. I know I can absolutely demolish that now that I know what I am doing lol.

I just played this for the 1st time ever even though I have owned it for years LOL. The first game I had no idea what I was doing. The 2nd game I seen down destroyed levels and then I remembered what I read here about getting a perfect. the 3rd game I got perfect in the first 7 levels then messed up. My score was 359,170. Not bad for first attempt. I know I can absolutely demolish that now that I know what I am doing lol.

The most perfects I've gotten on the level 1 (easiest) difficulty is 16. The most I've gotten on level 5 (highest) difficulty is 8. But I usually only go for 15 perfects when playing on easiest and 7 when playing on hardest. Then I just go for combos after that. When playing combos you want to try to get a sequence of 1-2-3-4-5-6 because that clears five rows of dice and is worth the most points. But go for easier combos if that isn't possible, especially on later stages.

There are 20 stages altogether. A nice goal is to beat the easiest difficulty with over 800k. Hardest is much harder. My highest score playing level 5 is like 589k.

Edited by mbd30