IGNORED

Best puzzle games nobody talks about?

KWKBOX

10 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Oh my God I wish I had never heard of this. Each puzzle is currently 0.2% of the total library. That means 500 total puzzles. (Maybe not counting boss puzzles.)

I am up to 19% this week alone.

They are not the best puzzles - lots of symmetric ones and some very boring ones (ALL of the zodiac signs from Nemesis, for instance). They’re in general very easy - my average time is about two and a half minutes between the 10x10 and the 15x15 puzzles.

While I’m looking this gift horse in the mouth, it is weird that they randomly play music per puzzle. It’s outright disorienting to be working on a Gradius puzzle with Bloody Tears on, or a Tokimeki Memorial puzzle with A Shooting Star for background.

They get nastier towards the end, some of them can keep you guessing for a little.  I don't mind the puzzle and music not matching, I like the random fun of whatever pops up.

• Like 2

Are we talking about Puzzle games? great!

There ar two games that have the distinction of being rather well-know on their platform but unknow outside, Blodia and Batman (yes) for the PC-Engine :

(I highly recommand you to listen to the full soundtrack, it's typical SunSoft goodness)

Two French games on MS-DOS :

This second one is a bit more action, and more importantly, you can build and save 999 of your own(or friends!) designel devels! How cool is that?

(This game exist also in English, and on Mac computers)

Block-out is more well-know... But usually I get the "Hey, I remember playign that game but forgot it" so I include it here too :

• Like 4

A game where Batman becomes an art restorer is definitely up my alley.

Blodia was brought to the US as Timeball. It’s a clone of the PC-88 and Coleco ADAM game Diablo:

That was then cloned into Junction for the Genesis and Game Gear:

(Complete with creepy guest appearances from developer Micronet’s other game Curse [and something else?] as part of the intro)

All of which were clones of Konami’s arcade game Loco Motion (which was also ported to the Intellivision):

I really want to like these games, but my brain can’t do them. Or my fingers can’t. What is your secret?

• Like 2

I was kinda sure that Blodia was one of those "it goes everywhere with different names" type of games.

I dunno, my brains recognize the patterns and I have the patientce for them. Unlike in JRPG where turn based combat just bore me to the extreme.

Reminds me there's an awesome game on the Saturn, and I think ti's Japan only. What happen when you mix Tetris and Lemmings?

You get Gussun Oyoyo :

(1:30 for gameplay)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CatPix said:

Reminds me there's an awesome game on the Saturn, and I think ti's Japan only. What happen when you mix Tetris and Lemmings?

You get Gussun Oyoyo :

(1:30 for gameplay)

Gussun Oyoyo looks a lot like Hello Kitty Cube Frenzy. 

Also vaguely similar to Tetris Plus

• Like 1

Tetris Plus is a fantastic Tetris underdog few ever bring up, got a great conversion to the (Super) Game Boy.  I owned it back in the day, personally, I have no idea why the hell I don't own it now as it's somehow anti-grubber as it's still dirt cheap.

I guess if you're only into SNK/Neo Geo circles you'll know of this game from the high end, but it's very well overlooked and unknown outside that, largely even on those fans for the GAMEBOY release -- Money Idol(Puzzle) Exchanger.  Fantastic gem that rarely pops up on american auction sites, and this is that post I made sometime back in last year when I used zenmarket to pop for a decent sized lot of GB games that had it and one other I've wanted back for too long (decades.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Tetris Plus is a fantastic Tetris underdog few ever bring up, got a great conversion to the (Super) Game Boy.  I owned it back in the day, personally, I have no idea why the hell I don't own it now as it's somehow anti-grubber as it's still dirt cheap.

I would argue that it's the best Tetris on GB/GBC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

Is that the one that has the cover art that looks like total shovelware? I need to get a copy of it.

Along with Turnabout, I suspect cheap-looking stuff like that came about in a time after the PS2 released when publishers like Mud Duck Productions were probably looking back at the PS1 library to see what old low-cost games, such as puzzle games, they could publish presumably for bargain bin prices.

Unknown-4.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, electricmastro said:

Along with Turnabout, I suspect cheap-looking stuff like that came about in a time after the PS2 released when publishers like Mud Duck Productions were probably looking back at the PS1 library to see what old low-cost games, such as puzzle games, they could publish presumably for bargain bin prices.

Unknown-4.jpg

Gubble is pretty interesting too

• Like 2

On 2/17/2017 at 11:43 PM, Tanooki said:

Randomly going to just throw out some stuff, people can go find videos if they need to.

- Panic Bomber

- Magical Drop 2 or 3

- Wetrix

- Puzzle de Pon

- Money Idol Exchanger

- Zookeeper

Most of that are MVS(Neo Geo) arcade games, though the bottom started as a successful flash game gone onto Nintendo DS, and the top one was ported all over including to the Virtual Boy and the TG16 CD format.

I second Magical Drop 2 or 3 as they are way underrated

• Like 1