IGNORED

Best puzzle games nobody talks about?

KWKBOX

Since isometrics and all that came up, and I have no idea why, maybe the mention of arcade play ...but no one much ever discusses Monkey Ball on GBA, it's a thing, and strangely, works.

I hate the game because I can't keep my hand steady to do it, so this isn't some rose tinted perspective.  I'd never recommend it to play, but I know a lot of those at the time in the GBA era gushed it was shockingly good given the limitations.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Since isometrics and all that came up, and I have no idea why, maybe the mention of arcade play ...but no one much ever discusses Monkey Ball on GBA, it's a thing, and strangely, works.

I hate the game because I can't keep my hand steady to do it, so this isn't some rose tinted perspective.  I'd never recommend it to play, but I know a lot of those at the time in the GBA era gushed it was shockingly good given the limitations.

Well, Monkey Ball never seemed particularly demanding with graphics aside from showing off certain courses, which seems like a good fit its showing off the GBA hardware.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I seem to have never seen this thread before, but I have some contributions to... contribute.

Hanagumi Taisen Columns

Hanagumi Taisen Columns 2

Teki-Paki

Yes, Toaplan made a badass puzzle game that you've probably never heard of. Seriously, play Teki-Paki. It's on the PS4 and it's on the Switch and you do have to buy some tough Toaplan shooters to get it, as it comes as a bonus game with those, but it's there and it's awesome. I think I'm going to go play it right now! I already redeemed the codes from the first release, so I will have extra download codes for PS4 and Switch this week when I get the new collections. I offered one of my real-life friends the extra codes several months ago, but if he doesn't want them or if he only wants one of them...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I seem to have never seen this thread before, but I have some contributions to... contribute.

Hanagumi Taisen Columns

Teki-Paki

Yes, Toaplan made a badass puzzle game that you've probably never heard of. Seriously, play Teki-Paki. It's on the PS4 and it's on the Switch and you do have to buy some tough Toaplan shooters to get it, as it comes as a bonus game with those, but it's there and it's awesome. I think I'm going to go play it right now! I already redeemed the codes from the first release, so I will have extra download codes for PS4 and Switch this week when I get the new collections. I offered one of my real-life friends the extra codes several months ago, but if he doesn't want them or if he only wants one of them...

♥ Hanagumi Taisen Columns (ST-V/Saturn).

I bet the SNES could do a good job of it but damn there's a lot of voice samples!

I also like Bloxeed.  A friend likes Kwirk.

Edited by The Usotsuki
built-in heart emoji is broken?
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Usotsuki said:

♥ Hanagumi Taisen Columns (ST-V/Saturn).

I bet the SNES could do a good job of it but damn there's a lot of voice samples!

Yeah, it's a really great game. I paid like 500 yen for a complete copy last year and it's easily the best 500 yen I've ever spend on anything ever.

It might work on the SFC/SNES, but it runs at 320x240, so they'd have to make some changes to accommodate that so the artwork doesn't look weird, and they'd need a huge cartridge for it; I just put the disc in my PC and it's 274 megabytes! I imagine basically all of that is the voices, so if you cut them all out it should work. ST-V ROM looks to be 32.7 megabytes, as well.

Have you played 2? It's exclusive to the Dreamcast and there is no NAOMI version of it, strangely. Also strange is that the gameplay is actually considerably slower than the original game's is, but there's way more of basically everything, and they included the command strategy thingies that showed up in Sakura Taisen 2. I actually like some aspects of the first game more, but 2 is probably a better game overall.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Hanagumi Taisen Columns

Teki-Paki

I'd take the Switch code.

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, it's a really great game. I paid like 500 yen for a complete copy last year and it's easily the best 500 yen I've ever spend on anything ever.

It might work on the SFC/SNES, but it runs at 320x240, so they'd have to make some changes to accommodate that so the artwork doesn't look weird, and they'd need a huge cartridge for it; I just put the disc in my PC and it's 274 megabytes! I imagine basically all of that is the voices, so if you cut them all out it should work. ST-V ROM looks to be 32.7 megabytes, as well.

Have you played 2? It's exclusive to the Dreamcast and there is no NAOMI version of it, strangely. Also strange is that the gameplay is actually considerably slower than the original game's is, but there's way more of basically everything, and they included the command strategy thingies that showed up in Sakura Taisen 2. I actually like some aspects of the first game more, but 2 is probably a better game overall.

Can't say as I have.

There is a SFC Columns.

The STV ROM I have for the first game is about 48 MB.  Compressing the audio would probably help.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Alright, I'll send the Switch code to you if my friend doesn't want it. If he does, I'll get you the next one for sure, which will possibly be on October 27, assuming they keep the current trend of 1 release every 6 months.

You will need a Japanese eshop account to redeem it, though, as the release is Japan-only.

12 hours ago, The Usotsuki said:

Can't say as I have.

There is a SFC Columns.

The STV ROM I have for the first game is about 48 MB.  Compressing the audio would probably help.

Definitely try 2 on the Dreamcast. I think it's a better game overall, and it's one of my favourite puzzle games ever, along with Teki-Paki. It's more expensive than the first game and also harder to find, but you'll only pay about 2000 yen for it complete. Definitely worth it, I think.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Well, it turns out that you will be getting a Switch code from me on Thursday. Yay~

Like I said, it's a Japanese code, so you will need a Japanese account to redeem it and all of the options are in Japanese, but I think it should be pretty easy to figure out without any knowledge, especially since I'm pretty sure the defaults are where you'd probably want everything anyway unless you want to use the colorblind options or alternate block shapes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Well, it turns out that you will be getting a Switch code from me on Thursday. Yay~

Like I said, it's a Japanese code, so you will need a Japanese account to redeem it and all of the options are in Japanese, but I think it should be pretty easy to figure out without any knowledge, especially since I'm pretty sure the defaults are where you'd probably want everything anyway unless you want to use the colorblind options or alternate block shapes.

It's all good. I have a Japanese account as I bought the Aleste collection. And thanks.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1

I know that, Magical Drop is one of them and it's quite well done.  Another is a mouse only Mario to(and) Wario which I do have.  Marios Super Picross is far nicer than the handheld which I have too.  I just didn't know Columns existed.  I do plan to get Magical Drop, and I do want to get Panel de Pon over Tetris Attack as I like the art style more, the game really didn't need dopey yoshi and friends.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I know that, Magical Drop is one of them and it's quite well done.

I know the one on Game Boy Color and I think it's worth pointing out. Not sure how well known Magical Drop is in general, but I think it makes for a nice hidden gem choice for the system, for people interested in 8-bit games like that and all.

• Like 2