IGNORED

Best puzzle games nobody talks about?

KWKBOX

On 4/28/2022 at 6:27 AM, Lostdragon said:

A couple on PSP I tried but just never clicked with me:

Oh man, Exit and Mercury are two of my very favorite under the radar PSP games, along with GripShift and Crush. I’m sorry they didn’t click with you.

I just remembered this one, whne seeing the topic pop back up. Clyde's adventures :

I haven't though of putting that one before, probably because it's kinda... platformer-puzzle?

Real fun but insanely hard and unfair by the end levels, where the precision and memory required get insane, and several levels contain die and retry moment... which isn't so fun when it happen after 20 minutes of precise gameplay.

Oh and you can't fool around : Clyde require energy (the grey orbs) when you're out of it, you die.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Zookeeper is a lot of fun but gets nasty fast, there's a free(I think it was free) version for mobile phones which is perfect given the touch play.

Can't remember if I ever brought it up because largely it never came to the US outside of the Neo Geo arcade, but MAGICAL DROP is fantastic and had a GBC (only type) cartridge release outside of Japan (global release on GBC.)  Other than that there's MVS/AES/CD which is trickier to manage and MD2 was on Super Famicom.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 9:31 PM, electricmastro said:

Underappreciated puzzlers on DS:

Soul Bubbles

This is more of a platformer/exploration type game… it is similar mechanically to Bubble Ghost which I would call a puzzle game, but the levels in this one are huge and it is ultimately an action/adventure game like Nintendo’s Fluidity. I highly recommend it, though - it’s a true hidden gem.

Zookeeper for the DS does have touch play and it was my favorite launch title in the end. It is hard and often unfair but it is addictive.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Can't remember if I ever brought it up because largely it never came to the US outside of the Neo Geo arcade, but MAGICAL DROP is fantastic and had a GBC (only type) cartridge release outside of Japan (global release on GBC.)  Other than that there's MVS/AES/CD which is trickier to manage and MD2 was on Super Famicom.

Fortunately the Switch has Magical Drop games like Magical Drop 2:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Zookeeper for the DS does have touch play and it was my favorite launch title in the end. It is hard and often unfair but it is addictive.

There's also the GBA and PS2 Zooo games I felt to mention. They didn't release in the US though:

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 1

Might as well list the Game Boy Color puzzlers from best to worst:

Tetris DX

Hexcite: The Shapes of Victory

Toki Tori

Magical Tetris Challenge

Bust-A-Move Millennium

Pokemon Puzzle Challenge

Magical Drop

Bust-A-Move 4

Ballistic

Mr. Driller

Lemmings & Oh No! More Lemmings

Puzzle Master

Shanghai Pocket

Yogi Bear: Great Balloon Blast

Babe and Friends

Klax

Hello Kitty's Cube Frenzy

Klustar

Microsoft: The 6in1 Puzzle Collection Entertainment Pack

Puzzled

Logical

Trouballs

2 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Is this what Pokemon Puzzle League/Challenge was based on? The shapes look familiar. 

That's because they cutesy'd it up with a fake Tetris game and Yoshi to sell to people outside of Japan.  I guess they figured the fairies and woodland stuff wouldn't fly.

2 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Just realized there was a Wetrix game localized on PS2. Can never go wrong with more. lol

Strangely enough, that too was released on Gameboy Color so Nintendo got it twice, as it was N64 first I believe.  It's funny the wiki doesn't even list that game directly at least, maybe as a spinoff?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Klustar

Microsoft: The 6in1 Puzzle Collection Entertainment Pack

Puzzled

Logical

Trouballs

I like all of those ?

Klustar has the most hilariously low-effort music ever, though - a bunch of crappy midi files of weird stuff like Yankee Doodle Dandy. It's also buggy. But the core mechanic was good enough that Nintendo stole it for the Metroid mode of Tetris DS.

For Puzzled, Logical, and Trouballs, one thing I've noticed looking at YouTube videos is that people just don't know how to play them. They are definitely better if you have some inkling of what is going on ;) 

• Like 1

Recently been kinda partial towards Rompers since it's included with my Ms.Pac-Man 40th anniversary Arcade1UP cabinet.

I'll have to give it another go soon! There are also a variety of Korean puzzle arcade games with adult themes. Some of them are lame lol (Hot Bubble comes to mind).