IGNORED

I have a VA2 Model1 Genesis, but only the shell. No mobo. Anyone got anew?

Stevie Goodwin

Hi all, I have a Sega Genesis Model 1 VA2 with no Mobo. Only shell.

I need a new board since my VA2 had a failed recapping from using old caps from a VA6.

My VA2 is unique, On the IF YOU NEED HELP LABEL, The phone number says: 800-USA-SEGA instead of the usual 1-800-USA-SEGA like you see on most consoles. Anyone got a new VA2 board for me?

This is what a VA2 M1 board looks like:

20161108_201058_With_explaining.jpg

Is the other va2 board just not repairable? What exactly happened from using the other caps? I wish I could help more, but honestly I've seen va3 and above models more than the va1 and va2 ones. And while I know you are wanting to keep everything with the same va in place, there isn't any difference in the console shells from the va0 - 6. So you could find another va that has good audio..etc and swap them out.

Just curious why so stern on having another va2 in the shell?

• Like 1

Is the other va2 board just not repairable? What exactly happened from using the other caps? I wish I could help more, but honestly I've seen va3 and above models more than the va1 and va2 ones. And while I know you are wanting to keep everything with the same va in place, there isn't any difference in the console shells from the va0 - 6. So you could find another va that has good audio..etc and swap them out.

Just curious why so stern on having another va2 in the shell?

I can't swap my VA2 case with a 1990 VA3. My shell's serial is 39S2959 and it's a 1989 version. Hre's why it wasn't repairable. 1: I tried to recap my VA2 using caps from VA6 instead of new ones.

2: My VA2 had low audio from the TV.

3: If you notice IF YOU NEED HELP LABEL and look at the phone number, It says 800-USA-SEGA like on Master System consoles instead of the usual 1-800-USA-SEGA. Is this a very original unit.

4: Anyone know about Genesis serials like 39 or 30?

The 9 means 1989 and 0 means 1990. Anyone know another user here who knows about Genesis hardware?

Are you implying I don't know about the Genesis hardware?

And specifically what is different between the va2 model 1 and the va3 to va6 model 1 that would prevent them from physically fitting inside the console shells? Again, I've not see the va2 myself, but my understanding is that physically everything is essentially laid out the same places so the boards could be swapped out.

You said you had low audio from the TV...what about the headphone jack on the front?

Are you implying I don't know about the Genesis hardware?

And specifically what is different between the va2 model 1 and the va3 to va6 model 1 that would prevent them from physically fitting inside the console shells? Again, I've not see the va2 myself, but my understanding is that physically everything is essentially laid out the same places so the boards could be swapped out.

You said you had low audio from the TV...what about the headphone jack on the front?

Okay, On the headphone jack on the front, It would sound clear for a while and when i turn the system back on, It would have super loud audio with an ear rape. And this is the phone number of a the VA2 looked like:

Look at the IF YOU NEED HELP LABEL: It says 800-USA-SEGA instead of 1-800-USA-SEGA. How original is that? s-l1600.jpg

Boy this is a dumb conversation.

For one I bet it could be fixed

For two just go buy yourself another model 1 high definition graphics model for $30.

Case closed.

that is basically what I was trying to imply to him. I'm guessing English isn't his first language and there might be barriers there. But I know that any model 1 board minus the va7 should fit inside that shell without issue. But I'm trying to find out why he is specifically wanting just another va2 board?

that is basically what I was trying to imply to him. I'm guessing English isn't his first language and there might be barriers there. But I know that any model 1 board minus the va7 should fit inside that shell without issue. But I'm trying to find out why he is specifically wanting just another va2 board?

I understand that any model boardf except VA7 can fit in my shell without issue. The other day, I was fitting my VA3 Model 1 into that VA2 shell and it didn't feel suitable for me. The reason i want a VA2 is because they are 1989 launch models and i accidentally destroyed one from a failed recapping from reusing capaictors from a VA6.

Boy this is a dumb conversation.

For one I bet it could be fixed

For two just go buy yourself another model 1 high definition graphics model for $30.

Case closed.

I tried looking for another Model 1 High Definition Graphics Model at VStock on Sunday and tried looking for a serial number that started with either 39 or 30 and i all i could find were either Model 1's with no High Definition Graphics, Model 1 High Definition Graphics Model with TMSS or Model 2's.

What does the serial number matter? Are you trying to get this thing in the Smithsonian?

There is a great thread on here debating the tmss and non tmss question. Having both I can say it doesn't really matter unless you are super inpatient or need to play 2-3 obscure games that won't play on the tmss model.

What does the serial number matter? Are you trying to get this thing in the Smithsonian?

There is a great thread on here debating the tmss and non tmss question. Having both I can say it doesn't really matter unless you are super inpatient or need to play 2-3 obscure games that won't play on the tmss model.

What does Smithsonian mean? I have a game that won't play on the tmss model which is Populous. But the serial helped me track down my non-TMSS machine. My non-TMSS has rainbow banding but doesn't really bother me. I checked out your thread and it was great. I like your thread. but it was weird when your NON-TMSS machine has TMSS.

Well...your only options are to use a different mainboard from another variant that will fit. Such as the va3 you already stated or see about getting the current one repaired? You mentioned Vstock? What state and town are you in? Cause Vintage Stock only exists under that name in Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma. They are known as Movie Trading Company and Entertainmart in other places.

Perhaps someone close that is good with an iron can look into tracing down the issues with your va2 board and get it back up and running? If it just needs new caps then a cap kit isn't that expensive. It does take away to recap a Genesis since there are so many caps on it, but not hard by any means.

I

Well...your only options are to use a different mainboard from another variant that will fit. Such as the va3 you already stated or see about getting the current one repaired? You mentioned Vstock? What state and town are you in? Cause Vintage Stock only exists under that name in Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma. They are known as Movie Trading Company and Entertainmart in other places.

Perhaps someone close that is good with an iron can look into tracing down the issues with your va2 board and get it back up and running? If it just needs new caps then a cap kit isn't that expensive. It does take away to recap a Genesis since there are so many caps on it, but not hard by any means.

The VStock i was in was in St. Louis Manchester. I don't have the board anymore. Although, The other week, I did try fitting a VA3 board into that case and you were right, It does fit :) but it didn't feel right for me :( But i am so upset man. I am in Quincy, Illinois if you are asking.. Is a 1990 VA3 (30V serial) still an early console and also a launch console?

have you tried calling the 1-800?

What 1-800 is it from? 1-800-USA-SEGA? That is long gone now. I meant the case The VStock i was in was in St. Louis Manchester. I don't have the board anymore. Although, The other week, I did try fitting a VA3 board into that case and you were right, It does fit :) but it didn't feel right for me :( But i am so upset man. I am in Quincy, Illinois if you are asking.. Is a 1990 VA3 (30V serial) still an early console and also a launch console?

Okay, This is what a mentioned:

These are the bottoms shells i was talking about.

These are the bottom of the NON-TMSS Genesis cases:

20170223_193055.jpg

This is the bottom shell of the VA2:

Notice the label says 800-USA-SEGA instead?

This is the bottom shell of the VA3:

20170223_193143.jpg

It says 1-800-USA-SEGA on the label.

Okay this is what i did:

20170223_192812.jpg

I put my VA3 board in my VA2 shell and it does fit. But this is not what it is suppose to look like and serials don't match.

It is suppose to look like this:

IC_BD_M5_USA_VA2.jpg

When i was a VStock in Manchester St. Louis, The Genesis consoles i could only find were either Non-HDG Model 1's with Serials starting with B3, A20, or Sega Genesis Model 2's. How rare are VA2 and VA3's. The serial which started with 30 or 39 helped me alot searching for a NON-TMSS model. Let me know guys.

did I read that right? Instead of ordering new capacitors from say... Mouser you swapped them over from another genesis?! I'm not sure I'd want to help you find another one, in the best interest of keeping the ones out there in working order.

Send yours off to get repaired by someone who knows what they're doing.

Don't have the board anymore. I'm showing you the cases.

Don't have the board anymore. I'm showing you the cases.

Did you toss it because of your "handiwork"? So now there's a VA6 and VA2 in a landfill somewhere that could have possibly been easily fixed? :roll:

I think the best option at this point ..... http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Sega-Mega-DriveGenesis-II-Case/

There will be no soldering involved. Just some double sided tape, hot glue, and plastic cutting. and no more Genesis boards needlessly destroyed.

Did you toss it because of your "handiwork"? So now there's a VA6 and VA2 in a landfill somewhere that could have possibly been easily fixed? :roll:

I think the best option at this point ..... http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Sega-Mega-DriveGenesis-II-Case/

There will be no soldering involved. Just some double sided tape, hot glue, and plastic cutting. and no more Genesis boards needlessly destroyed.

Oh great, I'm screwed. I don't want A Raspberry Pi. I like real hardware. The only reason why i want a NON-TMSS Genesis is because i have an unlicensed game called Populous and that game does not play on your ordinary TMSS Sega Genesis console. But that VA2 Genesis bottom case is very unique for me and it's a launch console shell!

Your use of a soldering iron and subsequent actions say otherwise.

I stopped using soldering iron because i accidentally burn myself.

I'm screwed. I don't want A Raspberry Pi. The only reason why i want a NON-TMSS Genesis is because i have an unlicensed game called Populous and that game does not play on your ordinary TMSS Sega Genesis console and NON-TMSS units are overpriced on ebay!!

The va3 you have should be non-tmss. Mine va3 is non-tmss. And again the only real difference between the va2 and the va3 is that the va3 fixes an audio issue in the pre-amp section of the circuitry. So at least if you put the va3 motherboard in there it will still very much look the part, and sound better than the va2 you had before did. Plus, it will still play populous.

• Like 1

The va3 you have should be non-tmss. Mine va3 is non-tmss. And again the only real difference between the va2 and the va3 is that the va3 fixes an audio issue in the pre-amp section of the circuitry. So at least if you put the va3 motherboard in there it will still very much look the part, and sound better than the va2 you had before did. Plus, it will still play populous.

Okay Thank you. But will the serial number matter? My VA2 case is 39S serial and my VA3 case is 30V serial.