IGNORED

Season 6 - The New HSC - Weeks 5/6 = Arcade Space Shooters

S.BAZ

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the right difficulty switch actually does anything in Asteroids? I've been playing with both switches on A difficulty but I'm not sure whether or not the right switch changes the game at all.

I agree totally with you VOCELLI. I'm having a "psychological barrier" to avoid little asteroids and, in special, bombs shot by enemy spaceships.
Your considerations (and mine) convinced me to stop trying to improve my scores on Asteroids. With my 48,180-point score, I'm definitely DONE.

I know the feeling. I've been playing Asteroids for half an hour to an hour every night trying to beat my high score of 44,980 but I just can't seem to even get to 40,000 again. It's like I just got really lucky one game and fortune hasn't smiled on me since then. I think I'm done with Gyruss since my thumb isn't too fond of the lack of auto-fire, and I'm very satisfied with my Galaxian score, but I feel like I can still improve in Asteroids if I keep at it.

Edit: I guess I spoke too soon about Gyruss! I decided to give it a couple more tries and did much better this time around. :)

Gyruss (B/B Difficulty, Default Settings): 242,600

uLKBl6e.jpg

Edited by Jin

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the right difficulty switch actually does anything in Asteroids? I've been playing with both switches on A difficulty but I'm not sure whether or not the right switch changes the game at all.

I'm pretty sure the right switch sets the difficulty for player 2.

Galaxian - 17,120

post-6010-0-40263500-1488520602_thumb.jpg

EDIT: I'm annoyed that Gyruss doesn't have any cooldown period for the fire button after losing a game. I broke a hundred fifty thousand points, but because I was firing away at an enemy formation when I died and didn't immediately stop, I started a new game and lost the chance to photograph the score. #$@%$!!

Edited by TheHoboInYourRoom

Galaxian - 17,120

attachicon.gifhsc-5-a1.jpg

EDIT: I'm annoyed that Gyruss doesn't have any cooldown period for the fire button after losing a game. I broke a hundred fifty thousand points, but because I was firing away at an enemy formation when I died and didn't immediately stop, I started a new game and lost the chance to photograph the score. #$@%$!!

Sorry to hear that. It's also a pain trying to photograph the score because it flashes back and forth. My old digital camera has a delay so I have to time it just right.

Galaxian 10,150

post-9499-0-99925700-1488656764_thumb.png

Astroids 28,330

post-9499-0-64257900-1488656785_thumb.png

Gyruss 102,300

post-9499-0-29238500-1488656817_thumb.png

I forgot how tough Asteroids was without the shield. Growing up we played almost entirely with the shield or the 180 flip.

I am a big fan of the NES version of Gyruss. I'm impressed with what was accomplished on the 2600.

• Like 1

Playing Asteroids Game 4AA makes me want to quit playing video games altogether. It is that frustrating to me.

Scores so far:

Asteroids - 24,710

Galaxian - 29,580

Gyruss - 175,900

I will post pictures when I am finished trying to improve my scores.

I haven't really put much time in to Galaxian so I am expecting big improvement.

• Like 1