IGNORED

TI99/4a Repair

Indy707

Hi All,

I am new on here as I have just rescued my old TI99/4a from my Mum & Dads loft and fired it

up but does not seem to be working properly. Kinda gutted as I was looking forward to seeing all

my programs I created when I was an imaginative teenager.

Do you know where I could get this repaired or any advice on how I could repair it myself?

I live in the UK.

The computer switches on but the screen display is not right as you can see by the attached photo.

Many Thanks.

Steve

post-51907-0-07162500-1487614454_thumb.jpg

first thing I'd do is replace the 16kx8 vdp ram. that screen shows that one or more of those are bad.. I sell 4164's that can be modified to work as 4116 chips at arcadeshopper.com

You can easily resolve this by installing a f18a vdp replacment which gives you a VGA out cable and replaces all the ram on the motherboard as well. They are available here:

http://codehackcreate.com/store#!/F18A-V1-8-Video-Board/p/14022176/category=0

Greg

• Like 1

There are a couple of solutions to the problem.

The first solution takes time for troubleshooting and possibly even repeated trial and error in an attempt to find the issue(s)... as well as soldering to go with waiting on parts.

The second solution is the easiest (in my opinion), << JUST CLICK HERE >>

After a few days later a nice package will arrive in the mail and you can plug this in without soldering - AND - you get a lot of new capabilities for your TI too!

If you think that may be of interest to you, click << HERE >> for a little more information.

first thing I'd do is replace the 16kx8 vdp ram. that screen shows that one or more of those are bad.. I sell 4164's that can be modified to work as 4116 chips at arcadeshopper.com

You can easily resolve this by installing a f18a vdp replacment which gives you a VGA out cable and replaces all the ram on the motherboard as well. They are available here:

Greg

When will they be in stock?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Greg

There are a couple of solutions to the problem.

The first solution can takes time for troubleshooting and possibly even repeated trial and error in an attempt to find the issue(s)... as well as soldering to go with waiting on parts.

The second solution is the easiest (in my opinion), << JUST CLICK HERE >>

After a few days later a nice package will arrive in the mail and you can plug this in without soldering - AND - you get a lot of new capabilities for your TI too!

If you think that may be of interest to you, click << HERE >> for a little more information.

The F18A for the TI has been out of stock for a while. I have been wanting to pick up another one myself. I have sent Matt an email on it to find out an ETA of new stock. hopefully he will reply back soon.

Thank you all for your responce and all options.

The F18A V1.8 Video Board is out of stock at the moment but

I will get this when it becomes available and attempt to fit it.

All, I take it that if I get the F18A V1.8 Video Board this makes

all the 16Kx8 vdp Ram redundant and I will be able to view the screen?

Excuse the ignorance as i`m quite a newbe to all this jargon.

Thanks

Steve

• Like 1

Thank you all for your responce and all options.

The F18A V1.8 Video Board is out of stock at the moment but

I will get this when it becomes available and attempt to fit it.

All, I take it that if I get the F18A V1.8 Video Board this makes

all the 16Kx8 vdp Ram redundant and I will be able to view the screen?

Excuse the ignorance as i`m quite a newbe to all this jargon.

Thanks

Steve

With a vga monitor, the f18 by-passes the memory used by the video processor on the ti. It replaces the video chip, the 9918.

Oh yeah, just in case you do not have a spare VGA monitor or a flat screen TV with a VGA input, you might want to click for << THIS PDF >>

Thanks for that... my monitor does have VGA and also my flat screen TV. It looks like things have come a long way for the TI99 and i am really happy to explore all the things it can do now.

Looks like I will be annoying some you in the near future to get some suggestions and answers.

The F18A implements the 16K of VRAM on-board. Since the original 16K VRAM in a 9918A system was connected to the 9918A itself, with the F18A installed that VRAM if effectively inoperable and unused. The DRAM chips remain powered and will therefore still draw power from the main system, but they can be physically removed if you want to reduce the system load or you don't want them in there any more.

The F18A should be available again before the end of this week (Feb 20, 2017).

• Like 2

The F18A is in-stock and can be ordered. There are quite a few people waiting this time around, so note that it may take me 4 to 5 days to get your board(s) shipped. I will fulfill orders as fast as I can.

Hi Matthew,

Sorry as this is the first time I have logged on again since last week.

I will go on to your site and see if you have any left.

thanks for getting back to me.

cheers

Steve